News:

Wondering if this will always be free?  See why free is better.

Main Menu

Do language translations function both ways?

Started by Siirist, April 16, 2015, 12:09:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Siirist

Greetings and Salutations,

I have read the topics from June 2004 - current and cannot find the following question.

If I install a language translation, German for example, and a German speaking member (using the language translator) posts "Guten Tag",
when an English speaking member reads that post will they see the words "Guten Tag"?
OR will they see the words "Good Day"?

AND if I an English speaking member, post the words "Good Day", and a German speaking member (using the language translator) reads that post,
will they see "Good Day"?
OR will they see the words "Guten Tag"?

Thanks in advance
Needed information:
- What's your SMF version?, What MODs are installed? What Theme(s) are you using? Have you backed up your database?

--> At least 50% of the questions asked are answered in the Online Manual <--
Mods for ver 1.x will NOT run on ver 2.x

Antes

If you are talking about installing languages to software, no... It only translates the strings for software, you need translation modification (Google or Bing or any other) to translate the page into other languages, not really a good solution to mix different languages into same topic, for some its not even good to put them in same board. AFAIK Google no longer has open API for translation (but not really sure about that).

Siirist

Quote from: Antes on April 17, 2015, 11:04:52 AM
If you are talking about installing languages to software, no... It only translates the strings for software, you need translation modification (Google or Bing or any other) to translate the page into other languages, not really a good solution to mix different languages into same topic, for some its not even good to put them in same board. AFAIK Google no longer has open API for translation (but not really sure about that).

Thank you for your reply. As my forum is for Survivors of Abuse, I wanted a "French" speaking person to be able to read the posts in the forum and if needed, ask a question that I would see in english and answer in english and then they could come back and see my reply in French.

Be Well,
Siirist
Needed information:
- What's your SMF version?, What MODs are installed? What Theme(s) are you using? Have you backed up your database?

Siirist

Hi Everyone,

Thought I would let you all know that I found a Google Translator MODification that works to translate both ways!!!

And it works with my Ostra1 theme in both my Test Forum using v2.0.9 and my soon to be live production forum using v2.0.10.

I have seen that each member can change to forum's language to whatever they want!!

It even has Swahili

I AM EXCITED!!!! ;D

Oh, almost forgot to leave a link to the MOD.   It is titled "GoogleTranslateforSMF2.0v1.4". Searching by using the search box in Modifications provides 0 results http://custom.simplemachines.org/mods/index.php?action=search;basic_search=GoogleTranslateforSMF2.0v1.4 Sad.

But a Google search provided a link http://custom.simplemachines.org/mods/index.php?mod=3213

Remember ALWAYS BACK-UP BEFORE adding a MOD!!

Cheers,
Siirist
Needed information:

RedPanda2013

Great!
I also have international audience so I am going to try it immediately!!

RedPanda2013

Matrimonio

I also confirm that it works perfectly! :D

Thank you very much!
Consigli in italia per organizzare un matrimonio, in italiano.

Advertisement: