How to import my set up when upgrading to 2.09 from 1.19

Started by Topman, April 17, 2015, 08:13:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kindred

Antes...   that redirect won't pass the arguments 9which is why I suggested the one above)

and topman...   I see your problem now...   you have installed the prettyurls mod and have not yet reconfigured the htaccess for the moved site...  (and probably other things that you missed, as Antes pointed out)

When you move a forum, you need to change ALL references to point to the new location...  this includes URLs (and paths) in the core and in mods
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

Antes

He's redirecting whole site, that rule I wrote should be written in /forum/smf/.htaccess not the root one, otherwise that'll create complete mess. (and yea yours needs to go root/.htaccess).

Topman

OK,
I have changed the URL in the settings.php to the new sub domain and now when you hover over each on the home page it gives the correct  subdomain URL.  Click on any of them and you still get the Error 404 Page not found.

Just how do I "clone your forum into sub-domain with proper information"  A bit of help and/or explanation would be appreciated.

Antes

Run repair_settings.php, it'll show you what need fixing. You need to copy/clone your database and create new one, unless you are moving right now. Then you just need to run repair_settings.php and it'll fix the path issues inside DB/Settings.php

Topman

I have both URLs using the same database I will try it with a new (copy) version of the database.
I am also having issues with the re directs too.

Illori

using the same database?????????????????? with the tables having the same prefix for both? that will work out badly.... you really need seperate databases for both, as there are paths stored in the database that will mess things up for you real quick.

Topman

OK I have deleted the settings.php in the new subdomain URL until I can get my database transferred to a new database location.

Illori

why did you delete Settings.php? it would have been much easier to put it in maintenance mode until you can fix it.

Topman

It stops the other forum working duplicate content etc.
It is easy enough to pull it back in again with ftp.
I've been doing it all day!

Night09

You are making what would have been a reasonably easy task into a disaster...You are ignoring advice from people who can do this in their sleep..

Topman

"Reasonably easy task"  ;D

I wanted to do two things whilst at the same time ensure my one and only database is protected and safe.

1) Move the forum to a subdomain and have all the post urls re directed
2) Update the forum to 2.0.10 so I can make better use of packages and be more mobile compatible.

I have not ignored advice, I tried one thing, it didn't work as I expected and now I am trying another method as suggested.

Perhaps when I have a copy of my database on a new database MySQL the subdomain re directs will work.
(or should I just uninstall all packages anyway as they wont work when I upgrade to 2.0.10)

Night09

As far as the upgrading goes the less packages installed the less can go wrong but saying that always check first for errors. Upgrading from 1.0.x to 2.0.10 will mean all packages are gone so it will end up a fresh install no packages.

For the redirect when you move the files they all still point to the old location so repair_settings.php needs to be run to fix that so the filepaths are correctly pointing to the new subfolder and not the old root folder.

You should not try to connect two SMF forums in different folders to the same database as it will cause problems.

Make a backup of the database and files before doing anything else.

You can test easily then without fear of loosing it all if it doesnt go as planned. The SMF_ prefix and connection password should remain the same and just filepaths change using repair_settings.php.

First I would deal with the upgrade and once happy then I would deal with the move and redirect.

Dont try to do it all together or it will get confusing and go wrong.

Topman

Thanks.  I was considering un installing all my packages before upgrading.  It looks like this would be a good idea.

Illori

you dont have to, the upgrade overrides all the files anyway so that forces them to be uninstalled.

Topman

OK,
I have got the 1.19 on the new subdomain http://forum.brand-newhomes.co.uk which is now operating from a new database which is an imported copy of the previous Forum URL which is still up and running using 1.19 but a different database.

But I still cannot access any page on the new Forum. version other than the home page even though the URLs are being correctly displayed.  I have used settings repair and have clicked on every Path and URL so they are all the recommended ones.

So why isnt it working? Surely I need this to work before upgrading process and finally the redirect from my existing forum URL  domainname/forum.smf/

Topman

I said I have used settings repair.
Is this download different?

Kindred

when you move a forum, you have to run repair_settings TWICE (or save and recheck)
the first time sets the database
the second time allows you to set the URLs and paths.

http://wiki.simplemachines.org/smf/Repair_settings.php#Important_Note

read the "important note" section at the bottom of the faq page.
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

Night09

Im noticing something about your subdomain.  First its set up as http://forum.brand-newhomes.co.uk  but the original forum is domainname/forum.smf/ .

The latter isnt an issue but the new subdomain may be a problem if there is no A record present for the URL. I dont know your hosts setup or who controls your IP but if there isnt a record it wont work.

I would put a basic test page in the folder and check by trying to browse to it.  Just open notepad and type testpage then save as testpage.html  then dump it in and see if it works. If that doesnt work the forum isnt going to until you make the A record.

Topman

Not sure what you are on about "A record"  but I did what you say and it comes up in the browser OK.
http://forum.brand-newhomes.co.uk/testpage.html
As does the home page http://forum.brand-newhomes.co.uk
But click on any of the links and they return a 404.

Advertisement: