hitsme

is it this
Quotebody,
   div#header, #header, #wrapper, #header div.frame
   {
      min-width: 200px !important;
      max-width: 640px !important;
   }

that is missing in css, that causes the 90% issue?

permutations

I just installed this on a clean newly installed site using the default Curves theme throughout, then looked at the site on my phone (Chrome browser, Android phone). Looks ... not formatted for the phone. Am I missing something?

Kindred

You are gojng yo have to be more clear/specific than "not formatted"
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

permutations

It was much wider than the screen of my phone. The only difference I could tell between the SMF 2.0 site where I installed this mod and one where I did not, is that the site with the mod kept making itself bigger (annoyingly, because most of the site was then off the screen). By "bigger", I mean it was zooming in. But I couldn't see any difference in how the site was formatted.

Does this explain it better?

Burke ♞ Knight

I think that's the way it's meant to be.
So it's more readable than when fully zoomed out.

permutations

Oh, too bad. A Web site that's truly configured for a mobile device fits entirely on the screen AND is readable - the site content is rearranged. I hoped that was what this mod did. I'm pretty sure that's what Google means in requiring a mobile interface. I'm very worried about this requirement. I make my living through my business Web site, and I use SMF to build my interface (not just the forum, but site wide). I don't want it to be invisible to Google!

roshaoar

Hello Permutations,

First of all, You may not be aware that this Google algorithm change only affects Google results on a mobile device, and there's no change in any position on the non-mobile SERPS. No danger of losing all Google visibility. Fwiw, if you're a niche leader or in a strong position in Google, it seems to me there's very little change. I monitor 30 terms for my non-responsive site and there's been no change for me, nor has traffic changed. Bottom line, G wants to serve the best results for searches and if your site's SERP gives its users better satisfaction than non-reasponsive SERPs G will still show you.

Also, it's not true that "A Web site that's truly configured for a mobile device fits entirely on the screen". Unless your content is spectacularly small you'll still need vertical scrolling. Not horizontal - that's mainly what responsive is about, cutting out horizontal scroll and overflow. RC does this well, and is a great base for further tweaks of your own. Works for me :)

Mr. Jinx

Quote from: permutations on May 23, 2015, 10:17:47 PM
Oh, too bad. A Web site that's truly configured for a mobile device fits entirely on the screen AND is readable - the site content is rearranged. I hoped that was what this mod did. I'm pretty sure that's what Google means in requiring a mobile interface. I'm very worried about this requirement. I make my living through my business Web site, and I use SMF to build my interface (not just the forum, but site wide). I don't want it to be invisible to Google!
This mod should look fine on a mobile. Could you post a screenshot or site url? There might be something wrong, but that is hard to tell without looking at it.

Dav999

What some people are trying to say is that beta 4 changed in such a way that the page is now too wide to fit on a mobile screen, pages load with half of the page offscreen, as opposed to beta 3. Google's mobile friendliness checker confirms that the content is wider than the screen when using beta 4.

Better explained with pictures: this is what beta 3 looks like on a mobile device, this is what beta 4 looks like. You can zoom out, but you have to do it on each pageload.

Tested on a fresh install - removing the 90% forum width solves the issue, but also removes the padding on bigger screens that people may wish to keep.

FaBMak

This MOD is great and i'm using it. So, i've a question: How do i get the "full site" on the mobile devices? Because, some users want to get the forum traditional theme and in the Firefox (Android) the option "Request as Destkop" is not working.

Kindred

in a responsive design, there is no such option....
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

permutations

Quote from: roshaoar on May 24, 2015, 02:17:25 AM
First of all, You may not be aware that this Google algorithm change only affects Google results on a mobile device, and there's no change in any position on the non-mobile SERPS. No danger of losing all Google visibility.

Google doesn't fully disclose its ranking algorithm. It's not certain that lack of mobile support would affect only the ranking on mobile devices.

In any case, I badly want mobile support for the sake of my forum members, not just my Google ranking. They've been requesting it for years. I just mentioned the Facebook page associated with my site that I was working on an upgrade, and the first comment was, "Mobile support?"

Also, it's not true that "A Web site that's truly configured for a mobile device fits entirely on the screen". Unless your content is spectacularly small you'll still need vertical scrolling. Not horizontal - that's mainly what responsive is about, cutting out horizontal scroll and overflow. RC does this well, and is a great base for further tweaks of your own. Works for me :)

Obviously I meant that the site was not fitting horizontally. No one expects a site to fit vertically.

Quote from: Dav999 on May 24, 2015, 11:41:07 AM
What some people are trying to say is that beta 4 changed in such a way that the page is now too wide to fit on a mobile screen, pages load with half of the page offscreen, as opposed to beta 3. Google's mobile friendliness checker confirms that the content is wider than the screen when using beta 4.

Better explained with pictures: this is what beta 3 looks like on a mobile device, this is what beta 4 looks like. You can zoom out, but you have to do it on each pageload.

Thank you for clarifying what I was trying to say. The screenshots you posted are exactly what I was seeing.

Tested on a fresh install - removing the 90% forum width solves the issue, but also removes the padding on bigger screens that people may wish to keep.

Where is this 90% forum width setting? I'd like to see what you mean?

Quote from: Kindred on May 25, 2015, 08:52:29 AM
Quote from: FaBMak on May 25, 2015, 06:54:17 AM
This MOD is great and i'm using it. So, i've a question: How do i get the "full site" on the mobile devices? Because, some users want to get the forum traditional theme and in the Firefox (Android) the option "Request as Destkop" is not working.

There is no option for viewing in full desktop mode, and there will never be such an option??

Burke ♞ Knight

Quote from: Kindred on May 25, 2015, 08:52:29 AM

Kindred is correct. Responsive design when viewed on mobile devices, is already "desktop mode."
Just try viewing the same site without the responsive mod, and all can see that.

What most people do not realize, desktop mode is the real site as you'd see it on your PC. Normal non-desktop mode, would be seeing the forum in WAP mode. That is why devices have desktop mode selection, to get you out of the wireless mode of a site, to the full site, which if the site is responsive, it already is. That means the device's desktop mode CAN'T be used, and is not "not working". It IS working, and as it is designed to.

You can't "desktop mode" what is already showing as desktop mode, now can you? ;)

Kindred

correct. a responsive design is exactly that. it is RESPONSIVE to the size of your browser/device....  there is no "desktop" versus "mobile" VERSION... it is the same version, compressed downward based on the available space and allowing people to bypass this would break the responsiveness and thus is not part of the design.

There is a difference between mobile-only/desktop-only and responsive.... and the web is moving toward RESPONSIVE as the standard, not platform specific.
Слaва
Украинi

permutations

Quote from: Burke ♞ Knight on May 25, 2015, 03:06:39 PM
Responsive design when viewed on mobile devices, is already "desktop mode."
Just try viewing the same site without the responsive mod, and all can see that.

What most people do not realize, desktop mode is the real site as you'd see it on your PC. Normal non-desktop mode, would be seeing the forum in WAP mode. That is why devices have desktop mode selection, to get you out of the wireless mode of a site, to the full site, which if the site is responsive, it already is. That means the device's desktop mode CAN'T be used, and is not "not working". It IS working, and as it is designed to.

You can't "desktop mode" what is already showing as desktop mode, now can you? ;)

Until your post, I hadn't heard of responsive design. I thought all sites coded for mobile devices used a separate site, m.whatever.com. If I'd thought about it when I tested the mod on my phone, I'd have realized something different was going on here. Obviously the mod didn't create a subdomain on my site, and my desktop screen looked the same. I just did some reading on responsive design, and that's definitely the way to do it. I'm updating my Web site (to use SMF 2.0), and I'm going to see if I can implement this throughout.

Dav999

Quote from: permutations on May 25, 2015, 02:30:23 PM

Where is this 90% forum width setting? I'd like to see what you mean?
Admin > Configuration > Current Theme > Forum width

roshaoar

Quote from: permutations on May 25, 2015, 02:30:23 PM
First of all, You may not be aware that this Google algorithm change only affects Google results on a mobile device, and there's no change in any position on the non-mobile SERPS. No danger of losing all Google visibility.

Google doesn't fully disclose its ranking algorithm. It's not certain that lack of mobile support would affect only the ranking on mobile devices.

Hi, see this statement, by Google. This isn't one of those mystery 'under the hood' algorithm changes.

mossite

i tried to install this theme and got this in the picture. who can help please
Greatness is Goodness

Kindred

Read the FAQ on what errors during a mod install mean...

However, there is a good chance that whatever mod you have already installed will break repsknsively layouts anyway.
Слaва
Украинi

Advertisement: