Proposed changes to the 'How To Ask For Support' thread

Started by Steve, April 20, 2015, 09:14:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Steve

In this thread, which tells you how to ask for support:

http://www.simplemachines.org/community/index.php?topic=228939.0

I propose a couple of minor changes to this section:

QuoteWhen and if you do post, please make sure you include the following details:

•     Which version of SMF you're using
  •     A link to your forum
  •     Any errors from your error log that may be related (please remove paths and IP addresses - only the filename, line number and error message are needed)
  •     A detailed description of the problem
This isn't always important, but it can save a lot of time and help us get to the root of the problem much faster.

1. Add a line saying something about giving a descriptive title to their post.
2. Remove the last line above altogether or at least the words 'isn't always important, but it' so that it reads 'This can save a lot of time and help us get to the root of the problem much faster.'

I bring this up because so many support threads are titled something useless like 'Help'. I was just reading one and was going to refer the OP to the above thread when I found that it wouldn't have addressed the issue I wanted to point out (thread title). And it downplays the importance of the additional info desired.

Just my thoughts. :)
DO NOT pm me for support!

JBlaze

You're implying that people actually read that topic before they post a support thread O:)
Jason Clemons
Former Team Member 2009 - 2012

Steve

Not exactly. I'm not naive enough to think they do but if it were changed, then it could be referenced and it would contain accurate info. ;D

ARG01

I don't think it matters much. I once had a forum that stated in Bold, Large Red Font in the site header to:

"Please Use A Proper Description In Your Thread Title! Words Like Help, Urgent, Emergency, Etc. Just Don't Cut It!"

There was also a Sticky in each Forum Category. I didn't work. People just don't pay attention.
No, I will not offer free downloads to Premium DzinerStuido themes. Please stop asking.

JBlaze

Quote from: SimpMode (ARG) on April 20, 2015, 11:31:17 AM
People just don't pay attention care and think they're more important than everyone else.

FTFY :)
Jason Clemons

Steve

I agree with you both. My point though, is that if you're going to have a post like the one referenced in my OP then it should be accurate. Otherwise, might as well just get rid of it. :)

Antes

what would be good, if a user enters "urgent", "please help", "help fast" etc... they get small error under title input says "entering such things "<word>" makes you less important" :D

Steve

margarett

Changes look good, I added them (plus a reference to 2.1 board)
;)
Se forem conduzir, não bebam. Se forem beber... CHAMEM-ME!!!! :D

QuoteOver 90% of all computer problems can be traced back to the interface between the keyboard and the chair

live627

Steve

Awesome. Only thing I'd suggest is in the first line you added, instead of 'A descriptive to your topic.', make it 'A descriptive title to your topic.'. (or subject line, whatever) :)

@ live627 ... damn ... preempted! :P

Edit: Holy crap Bruno! Nothing like being right on top of things lol!

Night09

In the case of 'Help' just stonewall them until they have read the stick thread and replied with the correct info. (just spam that until they comply)

It is easy to skip the stickys but in reality if your expecting free help from volunteers team and otherwise at least be considerate enough to actually create the topic in the desired fashion.

Otherwise its a thread full of do you use this? do you use that? do you have x version? do you have y version? and on and on without much to deal with the actual issue.

If someone wont take 2 mins to read first why should they receive help? Sounds harsh but some respect for the way things should be done is needed.

JBlaze

Quote from: Antes on April 20, 2015, 11:55:36 AM
what would be good, if a user enters "urgent", "please help", "help fast" etc... they get small error under title input says "entering such things "<word>" makes you less important" :D

I'll do one even better. If it contains any of the blacklisted words or phrases, the topic goes to the mod approval queue for x amount of time, and each subsequent bump increases that time. Also, any other topics created in that time frame will also be added to the mod queue for x amount of time, regardless of whether the new topic contains any of the blacklisted words or phrases. However, the user will not be notified of this, and will probably go insane wondering why nobody is replying.

I may or may not have spent too much time thinking about this... >:D
Jason Clemons

Antes

Quote from: zilladotexe on April 21, 2015, 06:37:18 AM
Quote from: Antes on April 20, 2015, 11:55:36 AM

I'll do one even better. If it contains any of the blacklisted words or phrases, the topic goes to the mod approval queue for x amount of time, and each subsequent bump increases that time. Also, any other topics created in that time frame will also be added to the mod queue for x amount of time, regardless of whether the new topic contains any of the blacklisted words or phrases. However, the user will not be notified of this, and will probably go insane wondering why nobody is replying.

I may or may not have spent too much time thinking about this... >:D

I sense great evilness in you :D

/* Serious Talk */
Then user go admin forums and complain about SMF and its awful support.

JBlaze

Quote from: Antes on April 21, 2015, 06:44:05 AM
/* Serious Talk */
Then user go admin forums and complain about SMF and its awful support.

Nothing new.
Jason Clemons

Advertisement: