News:

SMF 2.1.4 has been released! Take it for a spin! Read more.

Main Menu

Can a board be visible but not accesible without registration?

Started by dekatria, April 22, 2015, 06:56:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dekatria

Hi,

I would like to make some of my boards "private" ie. accesible only by registered members. But at the same time the guest to see the existence of the boards (without being able to read the content) in order to encourage registrations.

Is this possible?
Thanks in advance

margarett

Se forem conduzir, não bebam. Se forem beber... CHAMEM-ME!!!! :D

QuoteOver 90% of all computer problems can be traced back to the interface between the keyboard and the chair

dekatria

Hi,

Thanks for the reply.
Would these be compatible with 2.0.9
The mod that looks more admin friendly hasn't been updated from 2011 and I'm reluctant to use it.

Bigguy

It parses fine so it should work but if any edits fail you would have to add those manually.

Night09

Quote from: margarett on April 22, 2015, 06:59:21 PM
Whether or not it encourage registrations is debatable.

It works. Some of the marketing sites I use purposely keep links and boards off limits to guests to stop drive by leeches. Some of the sites depending on your interest you would not think twice to join up for what is on offer to members. ;)

margarett

Se forem conduzir, não bebam. Se forem beber... CHAMEM-ME!!!! :D

QuoteOver 90% of all computer problems can be traced back to the interface between the keyboard and the chair

Night09

Kindred

yup... just saw it.

and, as usual, I have major issues with any site that SHOWS you something, but requires you to register to see the rest of it.  People claim that it improves registration, I disagree (from experience) -- it mostly results in random registrations that are never actually used more than the one time the person needed to see that content.

Now...   a site which offers various services to registered members and spells out those offerings -- not an issue. That is a classic tactic. (I mean, most sites require you to register if you wish to comment, after all)  I have no issue with sites that require registration for access to services...  my issue is with people who believe that, by showing a teaser, it will encourage people to register to see the whole thing.
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

Advertisement: