News:

Bored?  Looking to kill some time?  Want to chat with other SMF users?  Join us in IRC chat or Discord

Main Menu

Big board group still exist?

Started by Biology Forums, April 23, 2015, 02:21:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Biology Forums

I signed up months ago, but was never accepted :-[ Curious if that group still exists and if I can still be a part of it :o

Illori

yes it does still exist. no idea why you may not have been accepted though.

Deaks

we can prob guess why illori and be accurate in our guess :P
~~~~
Former SMF Project Manager
Former SMF Customizer

"For as lang as hunner o us is in life, in nae wey
will we thole the Soothron tae owergang us. In truth it isna for glory, or wealth, or
honours that we fecht, but for freedom alane, that nae honest cheil gies up but wi life
itsel."

Illori

Quote from: Poύνικ on April 23, 2015, 07:18:13 AM
we can prob guess why illori and be accurate in our guess :P

i have no idea, the user does meet the requirements to join the group...

Burke ♞ Knight

Well, I can't find the list of requirements, for some odd reason.
However, I think one stated that the copyright had to be 100% intact, not modified. ;)

Illori

http://www.simplemachines.org/community/index.php?action=profile;area=groupmembership

QuoteBig Forum Operator
For owners of SMF Forums which have over 500,000 posts and meet the SMF Guidelines (copyright must be displayed correctly and legibly)

the copyright present has been modified to only remove the version, that is legally allowed.

Night09

version and copyright are two different things entirely. It was allowed at some point to hide the version to reduce hacking attempts since they wouldn't know what version they were attacking or find out of date ones to target.

Kindred

I will note that thinking that hiding the version provides **ANY** protection from hackers is complete and utter BS.

They don't care...  the hackers don't even bother checking if your site is running the software -- They find a site and then hit it with every script they have. I get regular attempts are wordpress hacks on a site which has never even had WP installed... same for ZenPhoto, various shopping carts, galleries and other softwares...
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

Night09

Old SMF versions DO get hunted out manually but since you say its all BS theres no point having a discussion.

Biology Forums

So I didn't get accepted because I didn't put the version #? Just want to confirm.

Thanks

Illori

we dont know yet. those that do the approvals have not replied.

Deaks

well last i checked its a marketing job to man the list so maybe the BoD should ask why marketing isnt working the list?  and why admins are not assisting?
~~~~
Former SMF Project Manager
Former SMF Customizer

"For as lang as hunner o us is in life, in nae wey
will we thole the Soothron tae owergang us. In truth it isna for glory, or wealth, or
honours that we fecht, but for freedom alane, that nae honest cheil gies up but wi life
itsel."

LiroyvH

Or maybe not.

Shuban, your request is being looked at.
Will let you know in a bit what the result is.
((U + C + I)x(10 − S)) / 20xAx1 / (1 − sin(F / 10))
President/CEO of Simple Machines - Server Manager
Please do not PM for support - anything else is usually OK.

ziycon

Quote from: Kindred on April 23, 2015, 09:47:13 AM
I will note that thinking that hiding the version provides **ANY** protection from hackers is complete and utter BS.

They don't care...  the hackers don't even bother checking if your site is running the software -- They find a site and then hit it with every script they have. I get regular attempts are wordpress hacks on a site which has never even had WP installed... same for ZenPhoto, various shopping carts, galleries and other softwares...
Slightly off topic but, crackers or script kiddies might not care what your site is running on and throw whatever they have at trying to get into a site but any hacker that knows what they're at or is any good will be very selective as to what and where they hit and how they do it, they will use very specific tools after a period of recon. on the site in question, this could be over a period of weeks or months as to not raise suspicion.

Basically any hacker that is any good will try and do what it is their doing as quickly and as quietly as possible to reduce the chances of being caught.

Kindred

however any hacker worth their salt can easily tell what version you are running, with or without the version number in the footer...
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

Burke ♞ Knight

Right. Just click the Help and there's link to credits page, where can see it.

QuoteFor more information about how to use SMF, please see the Simple Machines Documentation Wiki and check out the credits to find out who has made SMF what it is today.

Illori

there is a link to the credits page in 2.0 in the footer already, you dont need to go the help page to find it.

but in 1.1.* there is no credits page.

Burke ♞ Knight

Illori, if one removes the version, that removes the credits page link. ;)

Advertisement: