News:

Want to get involved in developing SMF, then why not lend a hand on our github!

Main Menu

How do I remove the version number from the footer?

Started by Evad3, April 24, 2015, 05:51:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Evad3

Sorry, I know this must have been asked a million times already, but I have searched several times and I cannot find a post which gives a straightforward answer to this.

I only want to remove the version number, not the copyright.

I also want to do it manually, and not use a mod.

Using SMF 2.0.9

Thank you.

Illori

why do you not want to use a mod? using a mod means it is easy to revert and uninstall it at a later time.

Evad3

I want to learn to do things for myself, instead of relying on other peoples mods.

(See what I mean about not getting a straightforward answer.....)

Kindred

also why do you intend to do so?   If you think it protects your site form hackers or spammers, you are sadly misinformed (it does not)

As a matter of fact, what I have found it that admins get a false sense of security by removing the version number and often forget to do with security updates...

the entire reason for mod packages is that someone else HAS already done the work -- and it is clearly documented, so that if you have to restore or do a full upgrade, you have a list of the code hacks that you have done....

If you really want to learn stuff, and bypass mods, then I suggest looking at the mod and checking how the mod did it...
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

Burke ♞ Knight

Also, that line about not getting a "straightforward answer", was really not necessary.
Illori was only asking why not the mod, in case you had tried it, and had issues.

Like Kindred said, removing the version number does NOTHING to help you, so I am one that even thinks the mod should be removed from the customization site, and version removals should be classified as copyright tampering, meaning if done, no support.

Evad3

It's within a users right to remove the copyright version number if they wish to do so, so why be so cryptic?

I shouldn't need to explain my reasons why I want to do something with my own forum, if it's within my right to do it.

Illori

Kindred

BK...   no we are not going to do that.

Evad...   sure, you CAN do it.. (I wouldn't call it a "right")  however, it is OUR RESPONSIBILITY to ask questions before support... not to just blindly hand over anything that any user asks for. Therefore, YES, if you would like help with it, you will have to explain your reasoning...

Illori - exactly, that's what I also suggested he do. :)
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

Evad3

Thanks to the attitude of people in this thread I've decided to switch to using another forum type, where the community don't have a giant stick in their asses about such a small thing.

Good day.

Kindred

lol... as is your "right".

We actually DID tell you how to do it, if you'll look... 
You said that you wanted to LEARN...  so we told you specifically where to look, so you could LEARN rather than just have it handed to you.

Слaва
Украинi

Burke ♞ Knight

Really?
Deleted my post?
How was my post deemed as bad enough to have it deleted?
Defend SMF, and get post deleted... There's a first, and last.

Suki

The user got his response, no need to be over reiterative.
Disclaimer: unless otherwise stated, all my posts are personal and does not represent any views or opinions held by Simple Machines.

Advertisement: