News:

Wondering if this will always be free?  See why free is better.

Main Menu

Return to previous position on board

Started by nomorepolitics, April 24, 2015, 10:26:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

nomorepolitics

Greetings - hope this will be clear - couldn't find the info so I'll ask here. 

After reading a topic, if the user clicks on the back button of their browser they will be in the same position on the board as they were.  If the user clicks on the board name in the breadcrumbs they go back to the beginning of the board. 

My content is chronological and multi pages of topics per board.

Is there a way of returning to the same position as read topic?  For example if reading a topic on page 2 and clicking on the board name in the breadcrumbs I would like to return to position of that post.  I have "return to this topic" checked off in "attachments and other options" but to no avail. 

SMF 2.0.9
www.teachingsofbabaji.com

Would appreciate some assistance if possible. 

Thank you
Ron
"It is a man's own mind, not his enemy or foe, that lures him to evil ways." - Buddha

margarett

It should be doable but I don't see the "how" out of my head, would need to break the code a little bit. Be right back :)
Se forem conduzir, não bebam. Se forem beber... CHAMEM-ME!!!! :D

QuoteOver 90% of all computer problems can be traced back to the interface between the keyboard and the chair

Kindred

The thing is...  the back button (of your browser) is a local action.

The breadcrumbs are a global/server-side action which bears no relation (at all) to your actual browser history...

I think it is going to be much more complicated (if it's even possible) than Margarett thinks...
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

nomorepolitics

That's what I thought but I've learned from experience that it never hurts to ask, right?  Thanks for taking the time to provide some feedback. 

All the best
Ron
"It is a man's own mind, not his enemy or foe, that lures him to evil ways." - Buddha

Kindred

:) never hurts to ask -- and I could be incorrect -- margarett could come back with an answe in how to do it (although it would almost have to combine php and javascript)
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

nomorepolitics

It may be as you say - margarett has helped me in the past and very kindly put a lot of effort into my question.  It was for setting up the SCM sitewide music player - even overlooking my limitations got it done - www.TruthSimplicityLove.com

margarett

Indeed Kindred is (more or less) correct. It is definitely possible, it only requires PHP and I can see the "flow" of a possible approach, but it requires more time than I can honestly spend at this time.
Sorry... :(

QuoteOver 90% of all computer problems can be traced back to the interface between the keyboard and the chair

nomorepolitics

thank you for spending the time to think about this.  it is something that i can leave alone, i would not want to take advantage of you in any way. 

very much appreciate you looking at this. 

BTW, still thanking you for guiding me to get that music player in place. 

All the best
Ron

margarett

No problem. Cheers ;)

BTW: marking this as solved.

Advertisement: