News:

SMF 2.1.4 has been released! Take it for a spin! Read more.

Main Menu

search box is sensitive to "accents", please help

Started by fapencio, April 24, 2015, 02:14:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

fapencio

Hello, I seek help, my forum has enabled the Spanish language, if you ask me why I'm asking for help in this forum English language, it is because in the help forum in Spanish moderators (I think they are Argentine) ignore my messages just because I am from Mexico,
in the Spanish language there are words that carry a sign called "accent" in the syllable that takes more strength to speak it, that sign is this: '
the search box of the forum is sensitive to accents, so it is not the same type the word "Mexico" that "México" and for obvious reasons all answers are not shown in each search, please I need this search box is like google, as many of the forum users when looking for something in the search box, write it without the accent mark, and therefore do not find what they want,

I hope I've given to understand and appreciate all help in advance and thanks again
My smf forum is 2.0.10 version
my theme is default
language spanish es utf8

margarett

Actually MySQL should naturally replace the accented/non-accented in SELECT queries... I just performed a test in my local forum and it worked. México and Mexico behave the same.

But if I do the same test here in this forum, it works as you say. I guess it has to do with the type of search index you have?. So what kind of search index you have? :P
index.php?action=admin;area=managesearch;sa=method

edit: this was uncalled for, please don't go down this path...
Quotet is because in the help forum in Spanish moderators (I think they are Argentine) ignore my messages just because I am from Mexico,
Se forem conduzir, não bebam. Se forem beber... CHAMEM-ME!!!! :D

QuoteOver 90% of all computer problems can be traced back to the interface between the keyboard and the chair

fapencio

Quote from: margarett on April 24, 2015, 02:41:01 PM
Actually MySQL should naturally replace the accented/non-accented in SELECT queries... I just performed a test in my local forum and it worked. México and Mexico behave the same.
But if I do the same test here in this forum, it works as you say. I guess it has to do with the type of search index you have?. So what kind of search index you have? :P
index.php?action=admin;area=managesearch;sa=method

help, thanks in advance
my theme is default
language spanish es utf8

margarett

Nop, same result in my test forum :(

Are you using UTF8 or latin?

QuoteOver 90% of all computer problems can be traced back to the interface between the keyboard and the chair

fapencio

Quote from: margarett on April 24, 2015, 03:12:40 PM
Nop, same result in my test forum :(

Are you using UTF8 or latin?

yes, UTF8, and the language is Spanish ES and Spanish Latiin

thanks Margarett, help me please :D
my theme is default
language spanish es utf8

margarett

I wish I could :(

I honestly don't know what can be the problem...

fapencio

my theme is default
language spanish es utf8

Kindred

Please do not bump your post like that.

margarett has posted -- but it may take some time for anyone else to see/read/respond.

Are you **SURE** that your forum *AND* database are actually UTF8?
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

fapencio

Quote from: Kindred on April 24, 2015, 06:03:23 PM
Are you **SURE** that your forum *AND* database are actually UTF8?

yes, my forum yes, but my database i dont know, how i can check this?

my theme is default
language spanish es utf8

margarett

In phpmyadmin. Each table and each text field inside each table has its own collation ;)

fapencio

Quote from: margarett on April 24, 2015, 06:54:13 PM
In phpmyadmin. Each table and each text field inside each table has its own collation ;)

this?:

is ok?
my theme is default
language spanish es utf8

Kindred

Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

fapencio

my theme is default
language spanish es utf8

Kindred

Слaва
Украинi

fapencio

my theme is default
language spanish es utf8

Kindred

OMG!   I am surprised that anything works on that forum, given all of the conflicting and overlapping javascripts...
Слaва
Украинi

fapencio

Quote from: Kindred on April 24, 2015, 08:49:42 PM
OMG!   I am surprised that anything works on that forum, given all of the conflicting and overlapping javascripts...
I turned off the errors log
my theme is default
language spanish es utf8

fapencio

my theme is default
language spanish es utf8

fapencio

my theme is default
language spanish es utf8