News:

Bored?  Looking to kill some time?  Want to chat with other SMF users?  Join us in IRC chat or Discord

Main Menu

Indicator for Unread and Replies button

Started by xoochu, April 25, 2015, 08:18:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

xoochu

Good day SimpleMachines!

So we added two buttons in our menu bar,
New! (Links to unread posts)
Replies (Links to unread replies)

Below is a screenshot of our main menu.
I wanted the two buttons to look like that of messages when new topics or replies arrive.

Is there an existing mod to show a number and to bold it out beside the button?
Same like messages?
Or if not numbers, at least an indicator that there are new unread replies or topcs, (e.g. bold or letter or asterisk)
We find this feature more catchy for our users, because most are not too accustomed with the "default show unread, posts or replies links".
I tried to search but found none.
Developers, may we request that mod?  <pleeaaase> :D ;D :laugh:

Or is there any way I could modify our codes to function that way.
Please help us.
Thank you :D

Kindred

egads...

it's been asked before and it's never been done -- because attempting to calculate and display that number on every page load would absolutely KILL your server
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

xoochu

Quote from: Kindred on April 25, 2015, 08:23:06 AM
egads...

it's been asked before and it's never been done -- because attempting to calculate and display that number on every page load would absolutely KILL your server

Thanks kindred!
But how about simple indicators?
Instead of calculating,
could it be possible to show some asterisks or symbols instead?
or change text colors perhaps when new=true?
something like that?

Maybe that could save the server when the thing it does is just check if there is new.
Or doesn't it?

Kindred

it saves a little...  but not enough (I don't think).   That query is actually one of the most "expensive" (in terms of resources) that SMF performs...
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

Advertisement: