News:

SMF 2.1.4 has been released! Take it for a spin! Read more.

Main Menu

Connection Problems

Started by desiamerican26, April 26, 2015, 05:13:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

desiamerican26

Hello Friends,

I am having the following error message while going on the site. I called my hosting side but everything is good on that end. It was working fine this morning but since last 2-3 hrs I am having this error message.

Connection Problems

Sorry, SMF was unable to connect to the database. This may be caused by the server being busy. Please try again later.

My site: www.desi-american.com

Please help.

Thank You
Regards,
Nikhil

br360

Did you recently change anything like passwords to your control panel, your database, or anything in settings.php?

desiamerican26

Nope I didn't change nothing at all. I didn't make any changes at all.

br360

That error usually means that your site and your database are not connecting with each other. If you didn't change anything, then you really should ask your host again. Go into your control panel and check your files- especially your settings.php- to see if anything has changed or anything has been edited.

Night09

Its possible its just your host doing some work and it will be back up later.

desiamerican26

I didn't change nothing at all. Seriously I didn't. I just checked this morning and everything was fine and then around 2-3 hours back it started to give me that error. I thought it's something temporary but i keep seeing it every half an hour. Then I called my host, and they ran the test on their end and said that everything is fine on their end.

I am really not sure what to do at this point.   :-\

It's possible that they are doing something on their end. I will contact them again and see what they have to say cuz every representative has diff answers.

Will update you guys if anything.

Kindred

check that the correct information is in your Settings.php  -- even if you did not change something.. still check
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

desiamerican26

But I cant log in at the backend. How can I check setting.php?

margarett

You just need to check your Settings.php via FTP, as well as the database information in your host's control panel
Se forem conduzir, não bebam. Se forem beber... CHAMEM-ME!!!! :D

QuoteOver 90% of all computer problems can be traced back to the interface between the keyboard and the chair

desiamerican26

I just remember that I uploaded new MOD which is I guess Register Mod something and I guess that one is conflicting with some other mods that I have. I am trying to see how to delete that mod.

Can someone help. Besides using FTP, cuz that I am no too familiar with.

br360

What control panel do you use (cpanel, plesk, etc)? Do you know how to check your files or file manager through that? Also, do you remember the last time you did a backup?

desiamerican26

The Backup I did was today. But before today I did on March 18th.

I use cpanel.

I am in it right now and I just deleted the Register Mod. I guess I did it right but still no luck.  :(

br360

You probably should not have deleted that mod, as it might not have been the issue- and now you probably will still have bits of code in the files from the mod.

Was the back up you did today done before you started having the connection issues?

Kindred

Something to remember... Deleting the mod in the package manager does not uninstall the mod... It just delete the package and this prevents you from manually parsing to check the possible issues...

Additionally,it would seem that when you installed the mod,my here were probably some errors on the screen (?) which you ignored (?)

Don't do that...

Anyway... The connection issues rarely have to do with mods...   It's usually a host side issue or a misconfiguration ..  Which is why you need to check your settings.php
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

desiamerican26

@br360

That's where I made mistake. I did backup after the things were screwed upp.... :(

@kindred

You are right the settings.php got messed up and I called the Hosting company and got it fixed from them. Unfortunately they have to restore it on may 22nd date cuz it was still giving some issues. I did lost around 500-600 posts cuz of that neglegency of mine since I didn't back up before.  :(

br360

At least you have your site back up. Just take it as a learning experience, and remember to back up your forum on a regular basis- and especially before you make any changes, add a new mod, etc.

Kindred

But wait...   Why did they restore the database as well as the files... Your issue was solely due to a file problem.

If you have a database backup from today, then you can restore that and recove your posts...

No offense, but your host sounds lke they have no idea what they are doing.
Слaва
Украинi

desiamerican26

@Kindred

the only reason was that the rep told me was cuz I did the backup after the site was down. If I had done it before that happened then it would have been fully recovered....

and I have to do backups on regular basis as br360 says. I don't know why but I keep on messing it up....

Advertisement: