News:

Bored?  Looking to kill some time?  Want to chat with other SMF users?  Join us in IRC chat or Discord

Main Menu

"Modify PM" option

Started by Omebolle, April 27, 2015, 03:08:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Omebolle

SMF 2.0.9.

In the PM box I see only reply- quote- delete, why isn't there an "Modify" option? Or did I miss something in the settings?

Shambles

You mean modify a PM you've received? Why would you want to...

Omebolle

No of course I don't want to modify a received PM, I want to be able to modify a PM I just sent and forgot to add something in it. You can Modify posts, but not a PM.

Shambles

Well if you have DB access you can edit the text of the PM once you've located it.

Kindred

Other than direct database access, you can not...    Can you modify an email after you click send?  Nope...
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

Omebolle

So the answer is a simple...: "No that option isn't available"

I've seen it on other boards, so that's why I asked
Ok then, thanks

Empire KickAss

This gotta be the seems legit topic
If I helped you out in anyway can u please click this up button arrow .Thank You!!!

Kindred

it's more than "that option is not available"

I very much doubt that you have seen that option on other forums...
modifying a PM, after it has been sent would be (as I noted) the same as modifying an email after it was sent...   you can't do it.. and, if you COULD do it, no one would ever be able to trust your emails, since you could send one thing and then modify it to read something else.
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

Shambles

Yes it does exist in other forum software. I used to use phpBB (7 years ago) which stored the PM in a folder, sending the link to the recipient(s). Before it got read, it could be edited.

Quote from: Omebolle
So the answer is a simple...: "No that option isn't available"
Unless you're comfortable editing your database, that would be a correct statement.

Quote from: Empire KickAss
This gotta be the seems legit topic
That doesn't make any sense to me.

Empire KickAss

I agree with Kindred. Why would I send an email then fix my errors then sent it again... No way that's bad business and I can loose members.

This is SMF and I recommend that this option gets rejected. End of story.

From seems legit
If I helped you out in anyway can u please click this up button arrow .Thank You!!!

Shambles

Quote from: Empire KickAss
This is SMF and I recommend that this option gets rejected.
It isn't a request for an option.

From seems legit
Still makes no sense to me. What are you trying to convey?

Omebolle

Last post from me:

IP.Board 3.4.7 has that option.
I have no intention of editing e-mails, that wasn't what I was asking I think.

On my forum we attach files sometimes if we want to sent another member an item we built. I sometimes forget to attach the file after writing the message. That's why it would be nice if I had the option to attach the zip file to the message I already sent. On that other board you got a pop-up telling you "edit isn't possible because the message is "read" ".

PokémonS

Pinkie Pie: Hey! How about move PM? merge PM? split PM? ... Umm nevermind. I guess those missing features are missing! Right?

Well, I think it's better to send new message again rather than editing?
I dunno how often you'll use "modify PM" feature.
きみと手をつなごう つらいときはもっと
ゼロからはじめよう ほら ほら 手をつなごう
みんな手をつなごう つらいときはもっと
力を合わせよう ほら ほら 手をつなごう

Kindred

Omebolle,

PMs are the forum equivalent to emails. :)
Слaва
Украинi

Advertisement: