News:

Bored?  Looking to kill some time?  Want to chat with other SMF users?  Join us in IRC chat or Discord

Main Menu

Double entry of email address on Registration to reduce errors

Started by taysan, April 27, 2015, 10:12:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

taysan

I've noticed a fair number of errors in member registrations related to their email address.  People putting an extra 'o' in Yahoo, missing the 'g' in 'gmail' - that sort of thing.

Almost everywhere (non SMF sites) I enter my email address when creating an account, it asks for it twice and validates the two entries against each other.

I've looked in the Registration settings in SMF 2.0.9 and couldn't find an option for this.  Is it there and I'm missing it, or is this simply not an option in SMF?

I checked through the Registration customizations and couldn't find anything that would add this feature.  Any suggestions would be welcomed - I'm probably losing 5% of my registrations due to this.

Empire KickAss

Something like an error telling people that you have entered an incorrect email address. This I haven't seen for SMF.

If users have added there emails wrong the administration can change it by editing there accounts, that's one option
If I helped you out in anyway can u please click this up button arrow .Thank You!!!

Kindred

Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

margarett

Se forem conduzir, não bebam. Se forem beber... CHAMEM-ME!!!! :D

QuoteOver 90% of all computer problems can be traced back to the interface between the keyboard and the chair

taysan

Thanks - that's what I'm after.  Will have to look at it more closely, I try to avoid mods that are not sourced directly from the official repository (which of course is probably silly).

Quote from: Empire KickAss on April 27, 2015, 10:19:06 AM
If users have added there emails wrong the administration can change it by editing there accounts, that's one option

Kind of hard to reach a newly registered but non-activated user if their only means of contact - the email address - is incorrect.  I have to rely on them reaching out to me to let me know they haven't received their activation email.  With 1.3 million spam-bot registration attempts blocked to date, I force new members to go through the email activation process, but SMF really should force double entry of this critical piece of information.

Kindred

actually, it's not that silly...

you have no guarantees of support or clean code from anything distributed outside of here...
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

Empire KickAss

Thanks for the lucky link to the modification. Going to check it out. Even that I might not have that implanted as all numbers of mine have not made a mistake. Well not yet anyway
If I helped you out in anyway can u please click this up button arrow .Thank You!!!

Advertisement: