News:

SMF 2.1.4 has been released! Take it for a spin! Read more.

Main Menu

Sometimes some users cannot connect to the web

Started by PokémonS, April 27, 2015, 10:50:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

PokémonS

SMF 2.0.9

Hi,

After this problem solved weeks ago, some users noticed that they still have problem accessing the web.

Reported error
in Chrome: This webpage is not available.
in Opera Mini: Could not locate remote server.

Those error randomly affect to some users for few hours, but other users still can access the web normally.
I have experience the problem too. But I finally can access the web few hours later, meanwhile other users can access normally.

Does the problem still relate to this problem?
If yes, does some users that cannot access the web... actually accessing old servers that has been "killed"?

What should I write to the hosting?

Thanks.
きみと手をつなごう つらいときはもっと
ゼロからはじめよう ほら ほら 手をつなごう
みんな手をつなごう つらいときはもっと
力を合わせよう ほら ほら 手をつなごう

margarett

If all users have the same problem at once, your forum is most likely down.

If people have random problems, then you need to track which IP are they accessing when the forum works/doesn't work.

So now I ping your forum and get 119.81.xxx.yyy (IP masked on purpose). Is this the same IP you get? Is this the same IP you get when your forum is down?

You can also use something like montastic.com to track if your forum goes down when you're not online ;)
Se forem conduzir, não bebam. Se forem beber... CHAMEM-ME!!!! :D

QuoteOver 90% of all computer problems can be traced back to the interface between the keyboard and the chair

roshaoar

Sometimes things like this are at the hosting end - when I had this it turned out to be badly configured load balancing

LiroyvH

It seems to loop back to an issue with your hosting provider.
Last time you had that odd problem, they updated your nameservers to:
sg1.pasarhosting.com
sg2.pasarhosting.com

It looks like sg2 is currently offline as it's not respondig at all. If sg1 is just as instable and sometimes becomes unavailable, your members will not be able to visit your website as there will be no DNS resolvers available to tell your visitors where your site is located at.
I'd recommend you get your hosting provider to fix the problems with their DNS server, or find one that offers better stability.
((U + C + I)x(10 − S)) / 20xAx1 / (1 − sin(F / 10))
President/CEO of Simple Machines - Server Manager
Please do not PM for support - anything else is usually OK.

PokémonS

Quote from: margarett on April 27, 2015, 11:30:15 AM
If all users have the same problem at once, your forum is most likely down.

If people have random problems, then you need to track which IP are they accessing when the forum works/doesn't work.

So now I ping your forum and get 119.81.xxx.yyy (IP masked on purpose). Is this the same IP you get? Is this the same IP you get when your forum is down?

You can also use something like montastic.com to track if your forum goes down when you're not online ;)

Thanks for your answer!

Not all users have the same problem at once.
But some users got same problem in random time.

Actually the IP web must be 119.81.125.yyy

Last time when I can't access the web, I ping via CMD ping pokemonstars.com -t and it doesn't respond.
But when I ping 119.81.125.yyy -t, it respond. Then I check the web, still cannot access.

About monitoring web, I use Pingdom, it monitors every minute. Last down is 20 April.

Quote from: CoreISP on April 27, 2015, 11:49:55 AM
It seems to loop back to an issue with your hosting provider.
Last time you had that odd problem, they updated your nameservers to:
sg1.pasarhosting.com
sg2.pasarhosting.com

It looks like sg2 is currently offline as it's not respondig at all. If sg1 is just as instable and sometimes becomes unavailable, your members will not be able to visit your website as there will be no DNS resolvers available to tell your visitors where your site is located at.
I'd recommend you get your hosting provider to fix the problems with their DNS server, or find one that offers better stability.

Thanks for your answer!

I have to take a survey with one of my user few minutes ago.
I think I found some clue.

1. All of reported error are come from Opera Mini users (mobile).
2. Recently I tell to them to try other browser (UC Browser), and it works!
3. But when back to Opera Mini, still getting error.
4. Users believe that they can access the web normally via Opera Mini few hours later.

But why it also getting error in Chrome?
Oh wait, I use DNSCrypt. Then I disable it (and use Google's DNS) and finally I can access the web normally.

It looks like the problem came from DNS' user.
I wonder if Opera Mini use its own DNS?
きみと手をつなごう つらいときはもっと
ゼロからはじめよう ほら ほら 手をつなごう
みんな手をつなごう つらいときはもっと
力を合わせよう ほら ほら 手をつなごう

LiroyvH

Opera Mini *always* proxies traffic, because it enforces heavy compression before sending it to your cell phone.

PokémonS

It has been 2 days, and users reported no problem accessing the web via Opera Mini.
Well, seems the problem solved itself.

Thanks!
きみと手をつなごう つらいときはもっと
ゼロからはじめよう ほら ほら 手をつなごう
みんな手をつなごう つらいときはもっと
力を合わせよう ほら ほら 手をつなごう

LiroyvH

I still expect the issue is with your host, as multiple services seem to have trouble resolving DNS there at random intervals.

Advertisement: