Group Permissions Question

Started by TE5LA, April 27, 2015, 08:57:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TE5LA

I've used phpBB and long time but am new to SMF. My question regards setting group permissions.

If I want to use post counts and set permissions, do I want to remove the "Regular Members" group, and if so, how would I do it? Isn't everyone logged in part of this group? If they are also in a post count group, wouldn't they still have permissions from "Regular Members"? I'll explain what I want to accomplish so maybe someone can point me in the right direction:

I want all new members that register put into in the "Newbie" group by default. I want to restrict "Newbie" from viewing all forums except one specific one. I want "Newbie" to be able to create a new thread in this one forum and then be automatically moved to a higher group (using post count) and then being able to have more permissions. I know I'll need to set the next group's needed post count to "1" to achieve this.

I don't see how to affect permissions of a group in each forum. I thought I found it but when I changed a permission in one forum, it set the same permission in the others.

margarett

Hi and welcome ;)

Permissions in SMF are inclusive. This means that the user gets the permissions from basically every group he's assigned to.
If you activated permissions for post count groups, then these permissions also count towards his permissions.

Every user that has no "primary membergroup" assigned is part of the "Regular Members" membergroup. With this, each user is *ALWAYS* part of (at least) 2 groups: an assigned group and a post count group. The resulting permissions are a "merge" of all permission he gets from any membergroup he's part of ;)

Check this topic
http://www.simplemachines.org/community/index.php?topic=520743.0
Se forem conduzir, não bebam. Se forem beber... CHAMEM-ME!!!! :D

QuoteOver 90% of all computer problems can be traced back to the interface between the keyboard and the chair

TE5LA

So wouldn't you then need to basically remove all permissions from "Regular Members" since Newbies would have their permissions?

And I still don't understand how to change group permissions to individual forums. It seems to be only global.

Kindred

First, read the wiki/manual on board profiles aka permisions profiles.

Second, you could set the regular membergroup permisions, all to disallow and then set the post count groups as you see fit, to allow... That would work
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

Steve

As Bruno and Kindred pointed out, understanding permissions is necessary. Kindred made a very good post about how permissions work here (it's so good I bookmarked it ;) ) ...

http://www.simplemachines.org/community/index.php?topic=520053.msg3681485#msg3681485
DO NOT pm me for support!

Advertisement: