News:

Bored?  Looking to kill some time?  Want to chat with other SMF users?  Join us in IRC chat or Discord

Main Menu

Re: Connection Problems

Started by David Jahn, April 28, 2015, 04:44:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

David Jahn

Hi there all together, I'm experiencing the exact same issues! :o

I finished yesterday morning the forum(more or less), at least changing the theme and settings, adding a new menu button, and everything was working just as it was supposed to be. So it did work for about 12-18 hours, i did not change anything, and yet, here I am again, with a forum that does not work. I don't think it is my host provider, coz my website is on the same server and ist just working fine. I downloaded the repair_settings.php, then it said my database name would not exist, refreshing the page again I got again the message with connection problems.

Im quite noobish on the subject, that's why I went the Muse way in the first place, luckily something got stuck from my WordPress days, that's how I was able to change things in the first place, but now im pretty lost. Could someone guide me somehow in the right direction, because I won't get no sleep tonight if I don't solve it until then.

Thx upfront to the community!
David

P.S: If attachments/screenshots/url's needed let me know.

David Jahn

First, I didn't mean to open a new topic, I actually wanted to post to an already existing one, sorry for that.

I was looking again and checked the mysql database. I need to admit, I had before a wordpress installation on there, that I forgot to delete, so already there, sloppy work from my side.  :-X
Now looking at my mysql database I don't find anything regarding to smf, lots of wp_something folders, but nothing about smf. Could it be it has been deleted somehow? I'm pretty sure I didn't, nor did I even access my database, so I'm seriously wondering what has happened.  ???

Do I need to do again a clean installation from the very beginning?  :-[ :'(

Kindred

actually, I split your message on purpose...   your issue is likely slightly different from the original thread that you posted into.

do you only have one database?
If so, and the smf tables are not present, then yes - it would appear that stuff got deleted - probably by your host doing a restoration or something...  check with them.

if not, make sure that your smf Settings.php file is pointing to the correct database location, with the correct credentials.
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

David Jahn

;D ;D ;D hehe I didn't realise that was you, coz i doubted myself already! :P

No I have two different databases, but i can't seem to access the second one. Though I'm pretty sure I used the mysql database I used back then for WordPress, coz for that one I have the access codes written down.

Kindred

in which case, I suggest that you check with you host. :)
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

David Jahn

Well my host is not the most responsive as I figured in the past, I guess I send a message today and in two days I get an answer.
Before I keep waiting that long without no forum I better clean install it from the very beginning, creating a own database for smf this time. Takes me not more than 48 hr max to re-create. Unfortunately for me I chose a annual plan, so I need to stick with my host a little longer.

But now I remember, after installing smf the first time, I had my html website up too, and the installation had overwritten my index.html, which I had to re-upload. Is there any problem having a index.html, and a index.php together in the www folder, or should I create anyway a new directory entirely for smf?
Note: I'm not going to implement my html site into the forum, thats above my skills anyway, but hyperlink the website and the forum.

Kindred

you should never have two scripts in the same directory.

If you intend to run a website (separate from the forum) AND a forum, you should install SMF in a subdirectory and use the main site root for your own html page...
Слaва
Украинi

David Jahn

Well, thank you a lot! :D :D
I re-installed already everything, now things are a bit more organised, and I hope it's not messing all up again.
Important to say my host hasn't replied yet either! >:( >:(

Stay away from hxxp:1blu.de [nonactive] :o

Advertisement: