Update Failed and Connection Problems

Started by pintosal, April 28, 2015, 02:35:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

pintosal

Today I received the following message for the update of my SMF forum.

The update process for xxxx located at http://www.xxxx.co.uk/xxxx has failed and the details of the failure have been logged.

Technical error:
Error: An error occurred while executing the application API.

Technical Error:
2015-04-27T07:47:05+02:00 SUCCESS [2] http://www.xxxx.co.uk/xxxx/upgrade.php

End of report.

Now when I try to enter the forum I get the following error:

Connection Problems
Sorry, SMF was unable to connect to the database. This may be caused by the server being busy. Please try again later.

I checked the log pointing to upgrade.php and that said:
Unable to connect to database - please check username and password are correct in Settings.php

What caused this and how can I fix the problem?

margarett

Se forem conduzir, não bebam. Se forem beber... CHAMEM-ME!!!! :D

QuoteOver 90% of all computer problems can be traced back to the interface between the keyboard and the chair

Kindred

It looks like you may have used some host-side auto-upgrader...   which is always a mistake.

It seems that whatever host-side option you used screwed up the upgrade and erased or changed data in Settings.php.
You will probably have to re-enter your database and URL and path information in your Settings.php.
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

pintosal

Yes, the forum was set up to auto-upgrade.

As I installed SMF through an ISP supplied information script, I don't know where to look in settings.php

The upgrade process created a backup file of settings.php and I tried renaming the backup file but it still gives the same connection error.

I'm not familiar with php so am I right in thinking that these values in settings.php should be changed?

########## Database Info ##########
$db_type = 'mysql';
$db_server = 'localhost';
$db_name = 'smf';
$db_user = 'root';
$db_passwd = '';
$ssi_db_user = '';
$ssi_db_passwd = '';
$db_prefix = 'smf_';
$db_persist = 0;
$db_error_send = 1;

Any advice greatly appreciated.

Kindred

Yes, if that is what is showing, then nothing will work.  You need the correct database connection details.

Get rid of that idiotic auto update script... It would seem to have erased valid settings on you
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

pintosal

I was able to restore an old backup of settings.php and now all is well.

Thanks for your help.

Advertisement: