News:

Want to get involved in developing SMF, then why not lend a hand on our github!

Main Menu

Where did upgrade.php come from?

Started by fropleyqk, April 29, 2015, 03:44:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

fropleyqk

I have 2 forums up and running that both recently went down. www.highroad.rocks [nofollow] and www.okijeepclub.com [nofollow]. Both erred out with:

Connection Problems Sorry, SMF was unable to connect to the database. This may be caused by the server being busy. Please try again ...

I used repair_settings.php and was able to fix. I found my databases were not listed or named correctly and all my directory paths had been deleted. I also found upgrade.php in the roots of both directories. Both files had modification dates the same day the sites went down. I made zero changes. Does SMF do some sort of automatic upgrading that I can turn off?

(MISC: I use craptastic godaddy hosting)

Illori

SMF has no automatic upgrade process, it is all manual. the admin must apply the update from the package manager or use the large upgrade package, SMF does not do it for them.

fropleyqk

So any ideas as to what happened then? I didn't even log into the back end for the past 3 weeks. Why would both sites go down with the same error with the appearance of an upgrade?

Kindred

talk to your host...   SMF has no feature at all that will allow us to PUSH anything to your site.
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

Sir Osis of Liver

Some hosts do have automatic updating if you initially use the host installer.  Causes nothing but problems.  Leaving upgrade.php in the forum root is a security risk, and normally throws an error message for admins when forum loads.  Have assisted several GoDaddy forums and never ran into this, but they're constantly finding new ways to screwup.
Ashes and diamonds, foe and friend,
 we were all equal in the end.

- R. Waters

Night09

Or you have malware on your home computer , been keylogged for passwords and someone is trying to access those sites. Two installs dont suddenly have upgrade.php appear out of thin air.

This scenario is overlooked a lot.

fropleyqk

Quote from: Night09 on April 29, 2015, 07:42:12 PM
Or you have malware on your home computer , been keylogged for passwords and someone is trying to access those sites. Two installs dont suddenly have upgrade.php appear out of thin air.

This scenario is overlooked a lot.
You know I considered this but neither forum is really of any value. And if I was keylogged, I'd think the bad guys would have wanted to do something other than poorly try to upgrade my 2 forums.

upgrade.php is a security risk, I know. It wasn't there prior to the sites going down. I'm leaning more towards Krash's explanation considering I did use the host's installer. And yeah, godaddy is garbage.

Night09

Your best getting the full package from here and doing it that way rather than using the installer provided as it will be more secure and easier to resolve issues overall. 

Steve

@ fropleyqk - are you considering this solved then? :)
DO NOT pm me for support!

Night09

Quote from: Steve on April 30, 2015, 07:37:53 AM
@ fropleyqk - are you considering this solved then? :)

I would say so since the cause is identified and theres a valid resolution. Someone should mark it solved.

Steve

I could have, just wanted to be sure the OP was completely happy. :)

fropleyqk

We're good. Krash was right, it was an auto updater from the host. I found the setting and disabled it. Thanks for the help all.

Night09

Quote from: Steve on April 30, 2015, 04:36:23 PM
I could have, just wanted to be sure the OP was completely happy. :)

Sorry didnt realize you had mod rights ;)

Illori

Quote from: Night09 on April 30, 2015, 07:00:53 PM
Sorry didnt realize you had mod rights ;)

you dont have to be a mod to mark topics solved.

Night09

I didnt realise that picking Topic Solved icon done that to the first post. I dont see any other way to mark someone elses topics solved though or ive overlooked something.

Illori

Quote from: Night09 on April 30, 2015, 08:04:56 PM
I didnt realise that picking Topic Solved icon done that to the first post. I dont see any other way to mark someone elses topics solved though or ive overlooked something.

you have to join the Community Support Helper group and then you can mark topics solved, that is given you have over 100 posts :P

http://www.simplemachines.org/community/index.php?action=profile;area=groupmembership

it is a free to join group.

Night09

Steve

My opinion is to not to be too quick to mark a thread solved in cases of this thread, for example. Where you said 'the cause is identified and theres a valid resolution' doesn't necessarily mean it worked for the OP unless they come back and say it did. :)

Night09

Quote from: Steve on May 01, 2015, 09:02:54 AM
My opinion is to not to be too quick to mark a thread solved in cases of this thread, for example. Where you said 'the cause is identified and theres a valid resolution' doesn't necessarily mean it worked for the OP unless they come back and say it did. :)

Quote from: fropleyqk on April 30, 2015, 06:10:52 PM
We're good. Krash was right, it was an auto updater from the host. I found the setting and disabled it. Thanks for the help all.

He did ;)

Steve

Yes, I know. I was letting you know what I do and you can, of course, do it how you see best. :)

Advertisement: