How to get rid of upgrade.php?

Started by Auke, April 29, 2015, 10:09:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Auke

I just upgraded my forum from 2.0.8 to 2.0.10. I think all went well except for one thing:

My forum now gives me the warning "!! MAJOR SECURITY RISK: You have not removed upgrade.php!". I saw the button to remove upgrade.php, but since it was off, I didn't bother to put it on. I was thinking that default would probably be best... Anyway, how can I now get rid of this upgradde.php thing? Where to go, and how to do it? Please keep your answer dummy-style, I'm not that handy with computers... :-[

br360

Just go into your control panel (c-panel, plesk, etc.)and completely delete the upgrade.php file.

You could have just patched from 2.0.8 to 2.0.9, then to 2.0.10 in your package manager though- as there is no need to upgrade between patches.

Auke

I went to cPanel and had a look in File Manager, phpMyAdmin, Softaculous and SMF, but I saw nothing called upgrade.php. Could you please specify where I should look?

I was actually planning on doing this upgrade to 2.0.9 today, but apparently I was a couple of days too late. I didn't know that there is no need for upgrades between patches though.

Kindred

upgrade.php would be located in your forum root directory

you should never use softaculous (or any other auto-installer)
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

Auke

I think I found it! cPanel -> File Manager -> Home Directory -> public_html. I see something there called upgrade.php. However, it was last modified on April 22, a week ago. Can that be correct? I'd like to make sure before I delete it...

br360

It should be in the same directory as settings.php. That should be the correct one, but if you want to be 100% sure before you delete it, just rename it to say something like upgrade1.php.

If the warning on your site goes away after you rename the file, then yes- that is the one, and you can delete it.

margarett

Also be sure to delete all upgrade* files (the .sql files also)
Se forem conduzir, não bebam. Se forem beber... CHAMEM-ME!!!! :D

QuoteOver 90% of all computer problems can be traced back to the interface between the keyboard and the chair

Auke

Thanks! It was indeed in the same directory as settings.php, and your tip on changing the name to test was also helpful. Shows you got that shiny cup for a reason.

I've taken a picture of the other upgrade files I see in this directory. I'm done when these are deleted too?

margarett

QuoteOver 90% of all computer problems can be traced back to the interface between the keyboard and the chair

Auke

Auke

I just noticed all my mods were uninstalled! I re-installed some of them, but one is giving testing errors (didn't install it yet) and I noticed I couldn't find some others...

Is it normal that you have to re-install all mods after an upgrade?

Kindred

if you did the "full upgrade" or performed the upgrade from one of those silly auto-installers... then yes...   all mods would be uninstalled.

if you used the PATCH upgrade, then no...  all of your mods would remain
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

margarett

Did *YOU* run the upgrade (eg, loaded the large upgrade package and ran www.forum.tld/upgrade.php)?

If you didn't, have a word with your host, they auto-upgraded for you (which, clearly, shouldn't happen)

If you did, well, loading a clean set of files clearly harms your MODs... Restore a backup prior to the upgrade (of your files is enough) is the best you can do

Auke

I did the upgrade which was offered to me by my host CoreISP. I guess that makes me responsible. I understand from your answer that such things always happen when upgrading?

If it is usual that you have to re-install mods after upgrading, I think it would be nice if people would be alerted about this before they hit the upgrade-button. I never saw a warning about this anyway.

margarett

There is no way to warn you, aside from what we put on announcement topics and the wiki.
When you click upgrade you already loaded the clean files so the damage has been done :(

If you used the patch to update the version, then it will just modify the relevant code and keep your existing mods untouched ;)

Auke

Okay, thanks. I'll mark this solved and start looking for the necessary mods to replace what I've lost.

margarett

Ask your host, maybe they have a recent backup that you can restore. You would go back to 2.0.8 but then you can install the patches normally.

JUST RESTORE YOUR FILES, not your database ;)

Auke

Thanks! Fortunately, I use a very limited number of mods and I think I was able to re-install them all, except for one that wasn't working anyway. Strangely, there is also one which is not installed now (it gives a testing error) but which magically ( :o) still does its (small) job: changing the phrase 'Child-Boards' into 'Sub-Boards'.

br360

It's probably giving a testing error because the code it's looking to alter has already been altered. If you see the name change to sub-board, then yes- that mod is installed-even if your package manager says it isn't.

Auke

I thought it probably was something like that, and I therefore thought it best to leave the mod where it is. I guess deleting this 'unused' mod could create trouble.

I now only have to figure out how to install a Honey Pot for my Bad Behaviour mod, but that's a problem that's been there for months and has nothing to do with the upgrade.

Advertisement: