1.1.21 -> 2.0.10

Started by roshaoar, April 30, 2015, 12:10:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

roshaoar

Hi,

Don't know if this is a bug or an error on my webhost's part (Fasthosts in UK). But they have a 'one click installer' through which you install SMF, and then you do a drop 'n drag 'large update'. All very easy but with 2.0.10 when I go to the upgrade.php file I always get "Unable to connect to database - please check username and password are correct in Settings.php".

What you have to do is take a copy of this file before upgrading and then overwrite that file with that copy afterwards. Then it works. I've done this about 10x now and it happens every time.

I apologise if this isn't the best place for this but I thought it might help someone else new to SMF like me.

Thx

Kindred

never ever ever ever use "one-click installers" or "drag and drop upgrades"

If you want to upgrade, then use the upgrade process documented here.
http://wiki.simplemachines.org/smf/Upgrading
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

roshaoar

Sorry - by drop and drag I meant via FTP from my desktop, not through my host.

Kindred

Settings.php is not part of the upgrade archive file...    so, extracting the upgrade files - overwriting your existing server files will not overwrite Settings.php and what you describe is not necessary.
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

margarett

Actually the current release *DOES* include Settings.php. It shouldn't, I'm reporting it...
Se forem conduzir, não bebam. Se forem beber... CHAMEM-ME!!!! :D

QuoteOver 90% of all computer problems can be traced back to the interface between the keyboard and the chair

roshaoar

Quote from: margarett on April 30, 2015, 01:28:17 PM
Actually the current release *DOES* include Settings.php. It shouldn't, I'm reporting it...

Thank you Margarett.

roshaoar

Quote from: Kindred on April 30, 2015, 12:54:13 PM
Settings.php is not part of the upgrade archive file...    so, extracting the upgrade files - overwriting your existing server files will not overwrite Settings.php and what you describe is not necessary.
This is wrong I'm afraid Kindred. Fyi - It's always worth actually checking before posting something as a fact. Especially when someone reports an error like this, which will affect a large number of people.

Illori

kindred meant that it should not be included, he did not know it was included by mistake.

Kindred

Actually, I downloaded the upgrade archive several days ago and checked...  it did not include it then...    so, if it does now, something went wonky
Слaва
Украинi

roshaoar

I'm sure he did - but I'm afraid that's not how he responded! Look I'm a mod on a board elsewhere, I know exactly what it's like, and some people/mods do reply to many topics without always checking first. Which happened in this case. Nobody is perfect, so it's not the end of the world, but sometimes it's good to have a reminder. Even if it's from a nobody semi-newbie like me!

Illori

Quote from: Kindred on April 30, 2015, 02:03:45 PM
Actually, I downloaded the upgrade archive several days ago and checked...  it did not include it then...    so, if it does now, something went wonky

did you check the zip archive? it is clearly there now. it is also in the package that oldies had attached to the news topic.

Kindred

I did check the archive from the download link...

something is definitely wonky
Слaва
Украинi

LiroyvH

((U + C + I)x(10 − S)) / 20xAx1 / (1 − sin(F / 10))
President/CEO of Simple Machines - Server Manager
Please do not PM for support - anything else is usually OK.

Illori

Quote from: CoreISP on April 30, 2015, 08:35:07 PM
Should be good now

confirmed at least the upgrade zip is good now.

roshaoar

Advertisement: