News:

Wondering if this will always be free?  See why free is better.

Main Menu

Some smiley packs I have made

Started by Walks Tall, May 01, 2015, 04:03:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Walks Tall

Not entirely sure where to post this but this seems to be the right place.

I have made some 'unusual' smiley packs which I have released on some other sites in the past and wondered if folk here would like them as well.

Attached are a few demo images of some of them..

If they were to be released here would you guys want them renamed to better suit the SMF smiley sets, they have the titles I gave them when I made them for vB, phpBB and MyBB.

As I feel quite confident I am going to make my new forum run on SMF 2.1 I rather thought it appropriate I give something back to this community.

Oh and if I were to release them here is there a place I need to navigate to so I can upload them for clearance from the site team here?
Therefore thou art inexcusable, O man,
whosoever thou art that judgest: for wherein thou judgest another,
thou condemnest thyself; for thou that judgest doest the same things.

margarett

Se forem conduzir, não bebam. Se forem beber... CHAMEM-ME!!!! :D

QuoteOver 90% of all computer problems can be traced back to the interface between the keyboard and the chair

Walks Tall

Thank you for your reply.

Is there any specific files to be created for these, do they need a .pak file or equivalent?

margarett

Yes, mods (smiley packs follow the same rules) have a standard layout. The best thing you can do is to check existing packs ;)

QuoteOver 90% of all computer problems can be traced back to the interface between the keyboard and the chair

Walks Tall

Thank you once again for your reply.

Okay, I have downloaded a few smiley packs, alas they do not all contain the same files which is a little confusing!

There appears to be only 3 things found in all of the packs:
They all have are the smilies themselves and a package-info xml
There is a readme txt file in each but the contents of that file are radically different in each smiley pack!

Some have install and uninstall php files, do I need to create those?

Some have a license txt file, are they required?

Apologies for being such a drain on your time and attention, I appreciate your assistance very much.

margarett

As Illori points out, a license is required with your package. Creative Commons is probably the best possibility for artwork but feel free to choose any license you see fit ;)

Now, about the smiley packs:

A smiley pack *IS* a MOD. As such, it needs to respect the Package SDK, which, at a bare minimum, requires a "package-info.xml" file, which describes the.... errrrmmmmm... package :P
http://www.simplemachines.org/community/index.php?topic=299669.0

For the rest, and the different packages you see, you need to understand how SMF handles smileys...
a) You can note that, in a SMF default install, you have 3 folders inside "Smileys". And you can also see that all 3 have the same exact number of files, and that all files have the same name.
b) You can note that most (well, maybe not most but some) smiley packs have, again, the same number of the files and the same file names
b) Smiley packs that have different names/files usually come with an "install.php" or similar.

And this is how SMF handles smileys. Love it or hate it :P it's how it works.
* Each individual smiley needs to have an entry in smf_smileys for it to be recognized
* If look at the table, there is no connection from a certain smiley to a smiley set.
** Which means that ALL smileys belong to ALL smiley sets

In short:
* if you just copy files over, which don't have file names like the existing ones, they won't be recognized
* if your smiley set doesn't include smileys with the same name as the existing ones, when the admin chooses your set and does NOT edit the smileys themselves, the missing smileys WILL show up as, ermmmm, misssing :P

Walks Tall

Quote from: Illori on May 02, 2015, 08:42:38 AM
yes a license is required.

http://wiki.simplemachines.org/smf/Customization_approval_guidelines#Customization_License

Thank you, I was reading that page earlier today but oddly when I clicked the link to view the license options I got a page saying the page requested had been deleted, that page is there now, many thanks for making that clear to me.

Walks Tall

Quote from: margarett on May 02, 2015, 10:06:09 AM
As Illori points out, a license is required with your package. Creative Commons is probably the best possibility for artwork but feel free to choose any license you see fit ;)

Now, about the smiley packs:

A smiley pack *IS* a MOD. As such, it needs to respect the Package SDK, which, at a bare minimum, requires a "package-info.xml" file, which describes the.... errrrmmmmm... package :P
http://www.simplemachines.org/community/index.php?topic=299669.0

For the rest, and the different packages you see, you need to understand how SMF handles smileys...
a) You can note that, in a SMF default install, you have 3 folders inside "Smileys". And you can also see that all 3 have the same exact number of files, and that all files have the same name.
b) You can note that most (well, maybe not most but some) smiley packs have, again, the same number of the files and the same file names
b) Smiley packs that have different names/files usually come with an "install.php" or similar.

And this is how SMF handles smileys. Love it or hate it :P it's how it works.
* Each individual smiley needs to have an entry in smf_smileys for it to be recognized
* If look at the table, there is no connection from a certain smiley to a smiley set.
** Which means that ALL smileys belong to ALL smiley sets

In short:
* if you just copy files over, which don't have file names like the existing ones, they won't be recognized
* if your smiley set doesn't include smileys with the same name as the existing ones, when the admin chooses your set and does NOT edit the smileys themselves, the missing smileys WILL show up as, ermmmm, misssing :P

Thank you very much for your very detailed response, that helps immensely.

Could I ask what the 'afro' smiley is all about!?
Am I supposed to be making a smiley that has afro hair or is it meant to be a black person, I was just trying to create an afro hair style for the smilies and suddenly I felt a little uncomfortable with it, why is there an afro smiley?
No racial implication meant on my part, I myself am of Native American origin, just curious what that smiley is about.

margarett

I have no idea and always wondered that myself :P

Walks Tall

Quote from: margarett on May 04, 2015, 05:53:35 AM
I have no idea and always wondered that myself :P

No matter, just made me curious, I have created a suitable afro hair addition for the smilies and will include them in the packs, oh yes, the AZN smiley, it looks like it is mean to represent tired or sleepy, would that be right.

Many thanks for your time and patience with me.

Kindred

Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

Walks Tall

Thank you Kindred, appreciate the link there.

Just uploaded the first 2 smiley packs, will upload more once I have them ready.

Neekiinh0

amazing !!!! congratulations guy !!

Adaptamos themes de otras plataformas a SMF!
Contactame por MP o Skype: neekiinh0 para saber mas.

Walks Tall

Quote from: Neekiinh0 on May 11, 2015, 06:30:42 PM
amazing !!!! congratulations guy !!

That is very generous of you to say, thank you, the larger versions are much more fun, I will be looking at releasing those in full as possibly avatar packs, got to look into how to release those here first.

Campanule

I like them - thank you very much.

Advertisement: