News:

Bored?  Looking to kill some time?  Want to chat with other SMF users?  Join us in IRC chat or Discord

Main Menu

I cannot find how to hide the SMF version information

Started by Morthawt, May 04, 2015, 10:28:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Morthawt

I have always had that on SMF forums I create but the mod I downloaded does not work and does not even uninstall correctly. Is there some custom way to hide the SMF version stamp at the bottom from non admins? I tried searching the forum but I get everything with version in it and nothing to do with the specific thing I am trying to do.

margarett

There is a MOD to do that:
http://custom.simplemachines.org/mods/index.php?mod=1046

If this is the MOD that's giving you problems, you just need to do the following in index.php
Find:

// Load the user's cookie (or set as guest) and load their settings.
loadUserSettings();

Add after:

//If the user isn't an admin, then hide the version'
if(!$user_info['is_admin'])
$GLOBALS['forum_version'] = 'SMF';
Se forem conduzir, não bebam. Se forem beber... CHAMEM-ME!!!! :D

QuoteOver 90% of all computer problems can be traced back to the interface between the keyboard and the chair

Kindred

of course, the question arises... WHY do you want to hide the forum version?

If you think that it will protect you from hackers, you are incorrect - since most hackers are scriptkiddies and just randomly hit EVERY exploit that they know (without caring if the software is even installed on the site they are hitting)

The REAL hackers don't care either, since there are half a dozen ways (if not more) to determine what version you are running, even without the version displayed in the footer.
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

Morthawt

Because it is better to not have a beacon that scriptkiddy google bot crawlers clearly identify a SMF version that is perfect prey for their exploit. There is no legitimate reason for an end user to know what version I am running, only I need to know that. Might be a small thing in the grand scheme of things but my thing is why leave it on there? There is a big difference between being "found" vs being sought out.

Morthawt

Quote from: margarett on May 04, 2015, 10:41:10 AM
There is a MOD to do that:
http://custom.simplemachines.org/mods/index.php?mod=1046

If this is the MOD that's giving you problems, you just need to do the following in index.php
Find:

// Load the user's cookie (or set as guest) and load their settings.
loadUserSettings();

Add after:

//If the user isn't an admin, then hide the version'
if(!$user_info['is_admin'])
$GLOBALS['forum_version'] = 'SMF';

I made that modification but it made no difference.

Suki

Disclaimer: unless otherwise stated, all my posts are personal and does not represent any views or opinions held by Simple Machines.

Morthawt

I did, I have a private tab open with the page so I can view as admin and non-admin.

Morthawt

I have a feeling I am having a problem with caching. It now just changed even though previously I did a ctrl F5.

Can someone update the mod so that it just works? There is no menu in settings to enable or disable like there used to be.

Suki

Quote from: Morthawt on May 04, 2015, 11:42:05 AM
I have a feeling I am having a problem with caching. It now just changed even though previously I did a ctrl F5.

Can someone update the mod so that it just works? There is no menu in settings to enable or disable like there used to be.

Thats because you just partially installed the mod, the mod works just fine if you use emulation, of course you will have to revert the manual edit you just did.
Disclaimer: unless otherwise stated, all my posts are personal and does not represent any views or opinions held by Simple Machines.

margarett

I tested the code I gave you. It just works ;)

If your host has some caching in place, give it some minutes and it should work.
Se forem conduzir, não bebam. Se forem beber... CHAMEM-ME!!!! :D

QuoteOver 90% of all computer problems can be traced back to the interface between the keyboard and the chair

Kindred

Quote from: Morthawt on May 04, 2015, 11:31:36 AM
Because it is better to not have a beacon that scriptkiddy google bot crawlers clearly identify a SMF version that is perfect prey for their exploit. There is no legitimate reason for an end user to know what version I am running, only I need to know that. Might be a small thing in the grand scheme of things but my thing is why leave it on there? There is a big difference between being "found" vs being sought out.

Well, as I said --  it really makes no difference at all.  Scriptkiddies don't even LOOK at your site - they just throw everything in their toolbox... I get hot with Zencart hacks regularly - and I've never even run zencart. I stopped running zengallery 2 years ago and they still hit my site with it, same for wordpress on a forum only site...

They just don't care  -- as I said, do as you wish, and margarett has told you how - but any assumption of security that you have from doing so is completely and utterly mistaken.

and no... there is no menu setting for that mod it just goes into effect when it is installed.
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

Advertisement: