News:

Want to get involved in developing SMF, then why not lend a hand on our github!

Main Menu

SMF aloows login but kicks back out when trying a topic

Started by coromi52, May 04, 2015, 01:13:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

coromi52

Hello,

I have a fori=um with over 5,000 members and for the last 2 days I have an issue that has killed my forum. Users including myself (admin} can log in and see the forum. But, when anyone selects a topic it takes them or me back to login screen. What can be causing this? Please help. Loosing tons of members by the second. >:(

Thank you

margarett

Well, if you changed nothing then something changed server-side...

Can you get us a phpinfo?
What is a phpinfo() file?
Se forem conduzir, não bebam. Se forem beber... CHAMEM-ME!!!! :D

QuoteOver 90% of all computer problems can be traced back to the interface between the keyboard and the chair

coromi52

Not sure if I am doing this correctly.
I created a file phpinfo.php with inside"<?php phpinfo(); ?>"
I have hostagator and uploaded it to the xbmcm3u main folder.
I then type my domain name www.abcd.com/phpinfo.php [nofollow]
I get a 500 error. What am I doing wrong?

Thank you for your time

margarett

No idea...

Try to upload the file to the same location where SSI.php is (whatever path is that on your host)

QuoteOver 90% of all computer problems can be traced back to the interface between the keyboard and the chair

coromi52

Attached  is a pic of the file in the same location.
Just to make sure in order to pull the info i need to then go to
www.abcd.com/phpinfo.php in order to get this info?

Is this correct

coromi52

This is sporadic. Right now it came back up. It is weird. Could it be hostgator? And what can I tell them as they say they do not see  anything unusual.

Thank you soo much.
Also, do you guys have a paypal donation? I am very happy with this forum and I understand all the work/

Coromi52

Kindred

your problems definitely could be host related (hostgator does not get very good reviews)

As for donations...
http://www.simplemachines.org/contribute/donate.php :)
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

margarett

chmod your phpinfo.php to 755. Your host triggers error 500 because of the current 777 permissions

As for your problem, well, if it comes and goes, it has to be server related... If you are logged out, something goes wild with your session.
You can try some "trial-and-error-maybe-it-helps" stuff, but it's not guaranteed...
* Ensure that "Use database driven sessions" checked
* Ensure that "Enable local storage of cookies" is NOT checked
* Change cookie name (will logout everyone)
* Check "Disable hostname lookups"

coromi52

My site has been on and off for the last week. Now really just down. People can login but once they click on topic it goes back to login screen. Hostgator says it is not them. I tried the steps above to no avail. I have over 8,000 members and i am pulling my hair. I made a small donation coromi321 through paypal. Any other ideas as to what might be causing this. My forum has been useless for days and it is only a 3 week old forum and do not want to loose these people.

Thank you

Kindred

Quote from: margarett on May 04, 2015, 03:03:17 PM
chmod your phpinfo.php to 755. Your host triggers error 500 because of the current 777 permissions

As for your problem, well, if it comes and goes, it has to be server related... If you are logged out, something goes wild with your session.
You can try some "trial-and-error-maybe-it-helps" stuff, but it's not guaranteed...
* Ensure that "Use database driven sessions" checked
* Ensure that "Enable local storage of cookies" is NOT checked
* Change cookie name (will logout everyone)
* Check "Disable hostname lookups"
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

Advertisement: