News:

Bored?  Looking to kill some time?  Want to chat with other SMF users?  Join us in IRC chat or Discord

Main Menu

What happens to the posts when I delete a user?

Started by Siirist, May 04, 2015, 10:03:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Siirist

Hi Everyone,

Did this:
    Step 1: Search the documentation
    Step 2: Check the FAQs
    Step 3: Browse the Online Manual
Results were ZERO

Step 4: Still can not find it? Ask at the Community Forum

I am using SMF v2.0.10 with the following Themes:
    SMF Default Theme - Curve
    Ostara
    Bright Forest
    Habbingo
    HabboLand
    SquareEra
    Stanley
    Hope

AND the following MODS:
1.    Menu_Icons 1.0
2.    Topic Solved 1.1.1
3.    Google Translate for SMF 2.0 1.4
4.    Default_Membergroup 2.0
5.    Enhanced Dropdown    1.3
6.    Board-color-and-icons 1.1    
7.    Caps_Lock_Detection_on_Login 1.1.0.2

Never deleted a user in 4 years.

Be Well,
Siiriist
Needed information:
- What's your SMF version?, What MODs are installed? What Theme(s) are you using? Have you backed up your database?

--> At least 50% of the questions asked are answered in the Online Manual <--
Mods for ver 1.x will NOT run on ver 2.x

Kindred

So, what is your actual question?

You made a bunch of statements but never actually asked a question...

Unless you mean the title... In which case, when you delete a user, it deletes the user...  What else did you expect it to do? ;)
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

Siirist

Umm, the posts? the subsequent replies?, the display name?, the avatar? the replies to other members replies?  it goes on and on.
Deleting a member should be a big deal because it can "cut" big holes all though the posts that are spread through the forum. Yes?????

Quote from: Kindred on May 04, 2015, 10:12:58 PM
So, what is your actual question?

You made a bunch of statements but never actually asked a question...

Unless you mean the title... In which case, when you delete a user, it deletes the user...  What else did you expect it to do? ;)
Needed information:
- What's your SMF version?, What MODs are installed? What Theme(s) are you using? Have you backed up your database?

br360

When you delete a user, you have the choice to delete him/her and leave the posts, delete just the topics (threads they started), or delete the topics and posts. If you delete just the user but leave all of their posts, he/she will be removed, but their posts will still be on your forum- and when you find one of their posts the username will still be there but will say guest underneath.

The avatar, signature, any custom text, etc. will all be removed as well.

Siirist

Quote from: br360 on May 04, 2015, 10:20:48 PM
When you delete a user, you have the choice to delete him/her and leave the posts, delete just the topics (threads they started), or delete the topics and posts. If you delete just the user but leave all of their posts, he/she will be removed, but their posts will still be on your forum- and when you find one of their posts the username will still be there but will say guest underneath.

The avatar, signature, any custom text, etc. will all be removed as well.

Thank you br360,

I have requested that my post count be reduced form 707 to 29 (so I don't look like I should know better).

I search for at least 30 minutes before posting, but it is not enough.

I will not trouble the upper staff here anymore.

I will do my best to falter through this software after I build two or three additional Test Forums.

Fake it till I make it.
I can always pay someone to resurrect them (and no I really don't give a damn if it cost over $100.00 as it will show that some are less resilient than others) . Just not feeling well here.
Some souls with shattered crystals are quite fragile.

May those that seek answers find them, some outside of themselves and some within themselves.

May All Be Well,
Siirist
Needed information:

br360

No worries, and don't be so hard on yourself. I'm sure you weren't the only person that has ever wondered what happens when a member is deleted- especially if you yourself never had to do it on your forum.

The staff (as well as the other members) are always there to answer questions- so you should always feel free to ask whatever questions you want. That's how we all learn stuff. ;)

Kindred

We have no problem with questions...   But if you have questions, you need to ask them, and be specific. Your initial post did not include any specific questions...

If you want to know what a deleted user, with the posts left alone looks like, find some of the posts by kat (aka k@) there are many of them in the chit chat board. The display name shifts back to the user's initial login name.

If you opt to delete the posts and/or topics when you delete the user, then yes... It could leave "holes" in the conversations...   Which is why doing so is an option, Not the default.
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

Advertisement: