How to stop simplemachines.org email spamming?

Started by ovee, May 05, 2015, 12:15:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Arantor

The problem with changing the minimum is that it also then allows people who don't post to have links in their signatures which is bad for spamming :(

青山 素子

Quote from: choop on January 10, 2017, 01:06:35 PM
Please unsubscribe me from future notifications.

One of the admins should be able to do that shortly.

Quote from: choop on January 10, 2017, 01:06:35 PM
Please remove the default post count requirement for opt-out, it makes no sense that I should have to post this request rather than simply toggle off a subscription I didn't realize I was signing up for.

Unfortunately, that is tied up in several other features that spammers were taking advantage of. We had to raise the post count to stop that abuse from them. This should be resolved once we update to a 2.1 development build where e-mail notifications are handled separately.
Motoko-chan
Director, Simple Machines

Note: Unless otherwise stated, my posts are not representative of any official position or opinion of Simple Machines.

Kindred

Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

toyotageek

Quote from: KDulcimer on September 21, 2015, 09:10:41 AM
Came here to post pretty much the same thing as the OP. I once had an SMF forum, but now I have none, and I'd like to stop getting update notifications.

Hello. I'm in the same boat. I was mod for a forum that no longer exists. I don't know if the forum Admin set me up for notifications, but I continue to get occasional emails and would prefer not to. I've never posted here until now so have a minimal post count. If someone could remove my email from getting update notifications I would appreciate it.
Thanks.

LiroyvH

Quote from: toyotageek on January 12, 2017, 08:21:44 PM
Quote from: KDulcimer on September 21, 2015, 09:10:41 AM
Came here to post pretty much the same thing as the OP. I once had an SMF forum, but now I have none, and I'd like to stop getting update notifications.

Hello. I'm in the same boat. I was mod for a forum that no longer exists. I don't know if the forum Admin set me up for notifications, but I continue to get occasional emails and would prefer not to. I've never posted here until now so have a minimal post count. If someone could remove my email from getting update notifications I would appreciate it.
Thanks.

That was already done after you had sent an email.
((U + C + I)x(10 − S)) / 20xAx1 / (1 − sin(F / 10))
President/CEO of Simple Machines - Server Manager
Please do not PM for support - anything else is usually OK.

flash84

Same problem as OP, I get these updates even though I'm unsubscribed.

In this case how to I delete my SMF account instead?

Kindred

Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

maxlimitz

Quote from: ovee on May 05, 2015, 12:15:35 AM
I did not use SMF for a very long time ago but I still keep getting spam email notification on this site.

It said:
If you wish to opt-out, please login to the community and then open your profile here: ovee.
Under the notifications section, you may opt-out. Thank you.

But there are no notifications section.
So, this is SPAM and it is unable to opt-out or unsubscribe!

I would like to unsubscribe as well and because this forum is the only way to unsubscribe I will post here. You can find my image captures about this problem in IMGUR website with the profile maxlimitz.

With Google Groups there is an unsubscribe link in every email message and I would appreciate one with this website also.

Kindred

You are unsubscribed now...  however, if you had bothered to read the thread, you would know the reason why it is as it is, right now
Слaва
Украинi

Arantor

What I don't get is why people complain of SPAM when the announcements should only be once per update, as in, maybe 15 emails in the last five years?

maxlimitz

Quote from: Arantor on January 14, 2017, 05:51:39 AM
What I don't get is why people complain of SPAM when the announcements should only be once per update, as in, maybe 15 emails in the last five years?

Even one unsolicited message is too much. I will report all spam I receive to my inbox. No exceptions.

Kindred

except this is not actually spam.

You signed up to the forum, you get announcements of releases. Which means that it is not "unsolicited"

So, it's not spam  and if you are reporting it as such, you are actually acting unethically, IMO.

Yes, we need to make it simpler to unsubscribe... but that still does not make it spam.
Слaва
Украинi

Arantor

Quote from: maxlimitz on January 14, 2017, 07:29:17 AM
Quote from: Arantor on January 14, 2017, 05:51:39 AM

Even one unsolicited message is too much. I will report all spam I receive to my inbox. No exceptions.

So if you run an SMF forum, you don't want us to tell you thre is a security issue that you should patch?

justmoon

Same boat as the OP, please disable notifications on my account. (Not running an SMF board right now, might come back to it in future, so I do want to keep the account.)

SleePy

justmoon,

Your profile is already set to not receive newsletters.  Did you maybe get this on another account?
Jeremy D ~ Site Team / SMF Developer ~ GitHub Profile ~ Join us on IRC @ Libera.chat/#smf ~ Support the SMF Support team!

Kindred

Слaва
Украинi

-Rock Lee-

I do not understand how much it can annoy a mail does not add or subtract in our tray, that neither takes 0.1 seconds to see or to pass of him. Also I think I receive about 10/20 emails a day from Facebook ... when I receive smf 2 or 3 just ... apart is useful for me because it jumps that I have to update smf.

Regards!

Sorry for my bad English.
¡Regresando como cual Fenix! ~ Bomber Code
Ayudas - Aportes - Tutoriales - Y mucho mas!!!

Advertisement: