How to stop simplemachines.org email spamming?

Started by ovee, May 05, 2015, 12:15:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Douglas

Here's the thing (and why I'm pushing for this as a core feature adjustment and not using a Mod). SMF has always tried to operate under the credo of having its main site as mod-free as possible, so that people can get a feel of how the forum software performs at its basest sense. By adding a Mod package to achieve the unsubscription feature/option, the team continues to move further away from having a mostly base structure in place. This is why I'm pushing for this to be a core part of any 2.0.x development going forward, and implemented immediately on here for the next version update. (Yes, Illori, I'm keeping in mind what you said about future versions).

About to flip the table on you, BK... but you earned this one...

Quote from: Burke ♞ KnightLast I looked, there WAS a mod to do this. ;) Select Newsletters at Registration by margarett
You do realize that Margarett developed that Mod package as a direct result of this therad, right? No? Go look at reply #13. :)

FYI, since I don't know if anyone thanked Bruno for that... thank you, Bruno! I appreciate the time you put into making that Mod available for others that would benefit.

And just to recap: The change, if I remember correctly, will be in the 2.1 branch going forward (KUDOS). I'm only asking specifically for SMF's forums here and on 2.0.11 going forward. And yes, it's being discussed/addressed behind the scenes, so let's let the process run through and see where it takes us.

* Douglas puts away his butt kicking boots... for now.

EDIT BK, after reading your last post... I've got a challenge for you now. An absolute legitimate challenge.

It's called "Put up or shut up".

If you think you can do things better, then step up and strap up. Get your butt onto the SMF team and contribute towards the overall project. It's easy to sit on your cathedralistic pedestal and bark down edicts and declarations. Until you walk even a quarter mile in the shoes of an SMF teamie, you really don't have a clue as to what all goes on... and as Core has said, it's an ALL VOLUNTEER organization.. so sometimes coordinating things does take a while.

IF I had the time (I don't - three simultaneous careers), I wouldn't be an SMF Friend, I would have a different SMF hat on.

So, the decision is in your hands now. Strap up and Step up, or sit down and shu'p. It's really simple. :)
Doug Hazard
* Full Stack (Web) Developer for The Catholic Diocese of Richmond
(20+ Diocesan sites, 130+ Church sites & 24 School sites)
* Sports Photographer and Media Personality
* CFB Historian
* Tech Admin for one 1M+ post, one 2M+ post and one 10M+ post sites (last two are powered by multiple servers)
* WordPress Developer (Junkie / Guru / Maven / whatever)

Burke ♞ Knight

1. I know the mod was made, due to this topic. That is why I searched for the link.
2. I was on the team, and I have done my share of things for SMF. There are reasons why I'm not on the team, that will not be discussed, but it was nothing to do with SMF, or anyone's feelings about each other, or SMF.

3. I was not calling the team lazy, it as always, got taken out of context.

QuoteAny pauses and "We're looking in to the best way to make it more clear, which will be done when it's ready" is just excuses and basically being lazy about doing what is right.

What that was meant to mean, is that stalling and lines like that, are often seen as the lazy way out of doing things. (Sorry if it got typed wrong. It was not easy, typing on my smaller keyboard.) We all know it's not always the case, but it gets seen that way, and not just by me.

QuoteIt looks like you're mistaking "people" for "myself" again. Perhaps you should stop speaking on behalf of other people for a change?
If they want to say something: they can. Which is also something we told you multiple times...

If it was just me, I'd be the only person pushing for this change, which I clearly, am not.

QuoteIncidentally, Margarett's mod is not a solution to that particular problem; so what are we even talking about on that regard.

How is it not a solution? It is a setting, as stated above, that was made, due to this topic. How is not a solution? I can understand it not being the choice solution, but it is a solution.

QuoteAnd just to recap: The change, if I remember correctly, will be in the 2.1 branch going forward (KUDOS). I'm only asking specifically for SMF's forums here and on 2.0.11 going forward. And yes, it's being discussed/addressed behind the scenes, so let's let the process run through and see where it takes us.

Which is why in my first post, I said I agree with you, on it being done here. Also, why I stated it should be core in the next update for 2.0.x (if/when).

QuoteIt's called "Put up or shut up".

I honestly would, if allowed, do what I can to help out. However, due to personal reasons, as well as family issues, I really can't, in the way I'd like to.

So, sometimes, I get strong here on subjects. Why? Because sometimes, it's hard for me to state what I want, how I want, and it comes out in a post in a way that it was not meant to be. I was not calling the team lazy, I meaning that's how it can seem to people. Trust me, having been on the team, I know how it is. However, others that have not been on the team, that read these topics, do not know.

Douglas

QuoteHowever, others that have not been on the team, that read these topics, do not know.
Really hoping you're not referring to me here. :)
Doug Hazard
* CFB Historian
* Tech Admin for one 1M+ post, one 2M+ post and one 10M+ post sites (last two are powered by multiple servers)

Burke ♞ Knight

You seem to know how things work. You been here a long while.
That was meant about the people that join and do not really know how things are here.
The type of people, that all THIS topic is about. The ones that don't even know they can't opt out of emails because they can't edit their profiles.
The ones that come in, ask a question, and vanish only to be seen again in a year or two, if ever.

The General users of SMF, that do not take part in forum discussions every day.

Kindred

And do note... This update would have no effect at all on existing users who already have accounts and are receiving the notifications and/or announcements
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

Burke ♞ Knight

That is true.
It would be nice, to have a way to do a link in the email that would work.
However, I've not had time to look into how such a system could be done, especially with the permission settings for the 10 posts to modify profile.

At the registration, you do get to have it set before the actual permissions for that kick in.
For the email link, the only way I can think of, is to have that setting moved to a part of the profile that can be changed before 10 posts.
However, since I don't use that on my sites, and have well over 10 posts here, I'm not entirely sure what all can be edited below 10 posts... LOL

Burke ♞ Knight

Yes, but like I said, incorporating it into SMF, especially here, is the issue.
With the 10 post till can edit profile, we could not do the standard of link to the page to do it.
So, would have to set up a link that actually takes and does the setting.
However, can that be done, on a setting that requires 10 posts to change?

Douglas

BK, with all due respect, you're just beating a dead horse right now... need to let it go, man.

* The people with the capability of manually changing profiles have left instructions on how to request removal.

* The issue is addressed for new signups for 2.1 and forward.

* This request may or may not be added to the next 2.0.XX update (in discussions now).

Really, nothing more needs to be said. Let it go, man, let it go. Woo-sah.

(AKA, you don't need to reply; you're repeating yourself, when solutions and temporary workarounds have been offered)

For anyone with less than 10 posts, you can post here to ask that one of the higher ups remove you from the News & Announcements email notifications. I believe you can also send a request via Private Message) to CoreISP or Kindred (Links open up the PM window for them) and request it that way. (I know Core and Kindred will edit this post if they'd rather not have PMs). :)
Doug Hazard
* CFB Historian

KDulcimer

Came here to post pretty much the same thing as the OP. I once had an SMF forum, but now I have none, and I'd like to stop getting update notifications.

Kindred

Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

metal450

I found this thread searching for a solution to the same infuriating problem - having used SMF briefly (years ago), I still get these e-mails despite never having opted into them...and each & every time I do, I scour for how to "in your profile under Notifications select that you do not wish to receive the newsletter any longer."

Please do not quietly opt people into mailing lists, and ESPECIALLY the 'how to unsubscribe' description in those e-mails should not be blatantly inaccurate.  If there's no way for recipients to actually unsubscribe themselves, these e-mails are without question spam (even though they may not be *commercial* spam).

Kindred

The emails are not spam, are you did technically "opt in" by signing up tot he site.
Also, the email instructions are not "blatantly inaccurate" since 90+% of the folks who come to unsubscribe can do so with no difficulty - since they have more than 10 posts.

That being said, as we noted above - we have recognized this to be a point of contention and have addressed it in the future release. Unfortunately, there is not much that can be done for existing users in this situation --- except to come here, and post a quick note - and the admins will take care of it.
Слaва
Украинi

milenko_soe

Can a Admin remove my email as well for updates, I have only posted 5 2 times because I read the forums and search for answers. With that being said I have moved onto a different CMS and no longer need update emails. Thank you!

Kindred

Слaва
Украинi

rilian

I also do not see any "Notification" settings in my Profile Settings. Checked Chrome and Firefox browsers. Empty. Is this a bug? Can you please unsubscribe me. Thank you!

Kindred

Слaва
Украинi

dignan17

I also want to be taken off the notification list. Looking back through this thread, I'm astonished that someone came here looking for help and the response (at least from one person) was extremely defensive. I don't care if the newsletters don't fall under the CAN spam act. They're annoying if you don't want them, the emails themselves give incorrect instructions for how to stop them, and in fact there is not way for the user to stop them. This is a failure of the software, and it's no wonder that this hasn't been fixed in the nearly two years since this thread started. I can't fault anyone for marking these newsletters as spam, considering.

How about instead of attacking users who come here for help, you simply listen to them, say "yeah that sucks, sorry bud," and call it a day?

LiroyvH

If you've read the thread, it's explained why the steps outlined do not work if you have a very low post count; and that you can simply ask here instead after which it will be taken care of. Pretty simple. :) We're looking in to improving it in the future for newsletters.
((U + C + I)x(10 − S)) / 20xAx1 / (1 − sin(F / 10))
President/CEO of Simple Machines - Server Manager
Please do not PM for support - anything else is usually OK.

choop

Please unsubscribe me from future notifications. Please remove the default post count requirement for opt-out, it makes no sense that I should have to post this request rather than simply toggle off a subscription I didn't realize I was signing up for.

Advertisement: