News:

SMF 2.1.4 has been released! Take it for a spin! Read more.

Main Menu

Question marks and random letters show up on 2.1

Started by Mstcool, May 05, 2015, 02:45:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mstcool

Hey guys,

This error also showed up on my live smf 2.0.9 site but now it doesn't show the error, after I upgraded to 2.0.10

However, this is now showing up on my 2.1 test site. Well, let's just call it a test site. It's not really a live site, I use it to put my presentations on it for school so ye lool. Anyways, I don't think I have any modifications on it so yeah. But I can't check since the forum wouldn't allow me to access it.

For my 2.0.9 site, it didn't allow me to access the forum through dolphin browser (android app), chrome (app and browser), and I also think through Firefox didn't allow me either. But IE worked.

For 2.1, I've only checked on dolphin browser and chrome (app) but what happens is that there are random question marks and letters and stuff that shows up. I have no idea what's causing it.

I'll post a screenshot but I would like the site link to be private for now. Although, I'll pm the link to a staff members, if they wish.

Edit: sorry for not giving more detail. There really isn't much that I can explain about this error. It simply doesn't let me access the site through the browsers mentioned. And it shows questions marks and other letters and stuff.

Illori

where on a page is this happening? that screenshot does not tell us where it is happening. is it in a post? is it in the SMF text from the language strings etc?

Mstcool

My bad, that was on the main index page. But, it is happening on all pages of my forum.

And I'm not sure about the language strings. Why would those show up tho?

Mstcool

Bump!

I released another site yesterday, nothing has been changed yet, just added the theme called Redsy. Right now, I tried to access the site on my Dolphin Browser (android app) and the questions marks and stuff appeared again.

I believe this won't happen on all browsers, just some, so some of you may not be able to reproduce the error.

It is happening on all pages.

Site link is:

Tvtalk.x10.mx

P. S how come members are not allowed to edit their own post after a certain amount of time on this board?

Irisado

Quote from: Mstcool on May 20, 2015, 08:43:26 AM
P. S how come members are not allowed to edit their own post after a certain amount of time on this board?

You'll find the answer to that here :).
Soñando con una playa donde brilla el sol, un arco iris ilumina el cielo, y el mar espejea iridescentemente

Mstcool

Oh, I understand. Thank You! :)

Now on to the actual error, anyone got an ideas about this? :P

I was able to access the site on chrome on my computer but I'm sure this error will occur on my browser at one point as well

fearthe1337

Quote from: Mstcool on May 21, 2015, 06:20:58 AM
Oh, I understand. Thank You! :)

Now on to the actual error, anyone got an ideas about this? :P

I was able to access the site on chrome on my computer but I'm sure this error will occur on my browser at one point as well

I am not 100% sure, but based on the Z my mind starts thinking about compression. Try turning compression off?

fearthe1337

Quote from: Mstcool on May 24, 2015, 10:25:55 PM
Whats compression?

index.php?action=admin;area=serversettings;
(Server settings under maintenance)

Uncheck:  Enable compressed output

Mstcool

Chen Zhen

Mstcool,

Incorrect character encoding most likely caused by an improper meta tag or the like.
This causes a browser to show glyphs because it does not know how to interpret what is being displayed.

My SMF Mods & Plug-Ins

WebDev

"Either you repeat the same conventional doctrines everybody is saying, or else you say something true, and it will sound like it's from Neptune." - Noam Chomsky

Mstcool

Oh, ok. How to fix this? I haven't added any meta tags. :P

I haven't tried the compression thing either yet, haven't had the time. Ill do it soon. :)

Chen Zhen

Mstcool,

Perhaps it is mysql char set & collation related?
Look at this article which explains it:
https://www.blueboxcloud.com/insight/blog-article/getting-out-of-mysql-character-set-hell
(look at The Problem & The Solution)

Backup your database first prior to this procedure.
You can use phpmyadmin to set your char set & collation for your entire database.

Boot up phpmyadmin, click on SQL and enter the following commands (press go afterward):
SET NAMES 'UTF8' COLLATE 'utf8_general_ci';

or possibly:
set collation_server=utf8_general_ci;
set character_set_server=utf8;

If it still does not work you can edit/add to a line in a .htaccess file in your main directory:
AddDefaultCharset UTF-8

My SMF Mods & Plug-Ins

WebDev

"Either you repeat the same conventional doctrines everybody is saying, or else you say something true, and it will sound like it's from Neptune." - Noam Chomsky

Advertisement: