News:

SMF 2.1.4 has been released! Take it for a spin! Read more.

Main Menu

Cannot register new members

Started by blackbear4110, May 05, 2015, 12:31:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

blackbear4110

I recently downloaded SMF 2.0.10 to start a brand new forum on a brand new site.
We are using GoDaddy for the domain and hosting.  We have a Linux server, with PHP 5.

I set up a MySQL database through PHPMyAdmin, uploaded the forum files to Core FTP, then ran the installer.  I was unsure about the file and folder permissions, so I'd set the folders to 777 (makes them readable, writable, and executable by user, group, and world....775 removes the writable feature by world, and 755 removes the writable feature from group and world....and I have no idea what I'm talking about, honestly, because I've never worked with forums or php before) and the files to 666 (same thing, except not executable).

First thing I tried to do on the new forum was register my dad as a test user.  I got this error:
QuoteFatal error: require_once() [function.require]: Failed opening required '/home/content/56/5914256/html/frontlinestand/forum/Sources/Subs-Post.php' (include_path='.:/usr/local/php5/lib/php') in /home/content/56/5914256/html/frontlinestand/forum/Sources/Subs-Members.php on line 468

I searched through the support forums here, and based on other issues that seemed similar, proceeded to re-download and re-upload the whole SMF 2.0.10 package (since it's a brand new forum, and I hadn't messed with any settings, I wasn't worried about losing anything).  That didn't help anything.  Still got the same error.
I then downloaded and ran the repair_settings.php since the error seems to indicate it's having trouble reaching the php files in the Sources folder?  But that did not fix anything, either.
I then tried to manually add the account through the admin area, and I get the same error.

I'm not sure why I'm getting this error, since all I've done is load the basic SMF 2.0.10 package to my site, with no mods and no themes.  The only thing I haven't done is try a different version of SMF, in case my server or host or something isn't jiving?

Other than the registration issue, I'm also not able to modify my Admin account profile (which logs in and out perfectly!):
QuoteFatal error: require_once() [function.require]: Failed opening required '/home/content/56/5914256/html/frontlinestand/forum/Sources/Subs-Post.php' (include_path='.:/usr/local/php5/lib/php') in /home/content/56/5914256/html/frontlinestand/forum/Sources/Profile-Modify.php on line 2802

I can't access Messages:
QuoteFatal error: require_once() [function.require]: Failed opening required '/home/content/56/5914256/html/frontlinestand/forum/Sources/Subs-Post.php' (include_path='.:/usr/local/php5/lib/php') in /home/content/56/5914256/html/frontlinestand/forum/Sources/PersonalMessage.php on line 111

I can't post an event on the Calendar:
QuoteFatal error: require_once() [function.require]: Failed opening required '/home/content/56/5914256/html/frontlinestand/forum/Sources/Post.php' (include_path='.:/usr/local/php5/lib/php') in /home/content/56/5914256/html/frontlinestand/forum/Sources/Calendar.php on line 242

I can't send an email to a member (tried to send one to myself):
QuoteFatal error: require_once() [function.require]: Failed opening required '/home/content/56/5914256/html/frontlinestand/forum/Sources/Subs-Post.php' (include_path='.:/usr/local/php5/lib/php') in /home/content/56/5914256/html/frontlinestand/forum/Sources/SendTopic.php on line 236

I can't create a new topic:
QuoteFatal error: require_once() [function.require]: Failed opening required '/home/content/56/5914256/html/frontlinestand/forum/Sources/Post.php' (include_path='.:/usr/local/php5/lib/php') in /home/content/56/5914256/html/frontlinestand/forum/index.php on line 359

Can't reply or quick reply to the automatically generated "Welcome to SMF!" topic:
QuoteFatal error: require_once() [function.require]: Failed opening required '/home/content/56/5914256/html/frontlinestand/forum/Sources/Post.php' (include_path='.:/usr/local/php5/lib/php') in /home/content/56/5914256/html/frontlinestand/forum/index.php on line 359

That's all I've noticed so far, though I haven't clicked on every single link.
I did mess around in the Admin area just now, and it seems to have adjusted and saved settings just fine.

I don't want to go any further or do anything else (adding mods and themes, getting everything set up and arranged, etc.) since the core site isn't working properly.  And the biggest question I have is why, since I haven't added any mods or themes.  Perhaps the SMF 2.0.10 download has code errors?

Thanks in advance to your help!

EDIT: I just noticed on our GoDaddy hosting, there is a place to "install" an SMF app, which has not been done.  I know nothing about this.  Could this have something to do with my problem?

Kindred

no... never, ever, ever, ever use the "autoinstaller"
that will cause you more grief than not....

As for your problems...

first, 755/644 should be sufficient.
second, are those files actually present in the Sources directory when you look using the file manager or FTP?
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

margarett

Quote from: blackbear4110 on May 05, 2015, 12:31:05 PM
We are using GoDaddy for the domain and hosting. 
This is a known problem with GoDaddy... They automatically remove Subs-Post.php because their scanners think that it's a malicious spammer script.

IIRC, if you load the package from your file manager (inside their control panel), not via FTP, the file will survive.

edit: welcome ;)
Se forem conduzir, não bebam. Se forem beber... CHAMEM-ME!!!! :D

QuoteOver 90% of all computer problems can be traced back to the interface between the keyboard and the chair

blackbear4110

Quote from: Kindred on May 05, 2015, 12:45:37 PM
no... never, ever, ever, ever use the "autoinstaller"
that will cause you more grief than not....
What is the auto installer?  Is that the first thing I come to when I brought up my forum site, and it asked for database info, etc.?
If so, I already went through all those steps twice.

Quote from: Kindred on May 05, 2015, 12:45:37 PM
As for your problems...
first, 755/644 should be sufficient.
second, are those files actually present in the Sources directory when you look using the file manager or FTP?
Ok, thanks!
And I thought I had checked the files, but apparently not.  All the files are present on the server, except for the Subs-Post.php and Post.php, which are the two I'm having issues with.

Quote from: margarett on May 05, 2015, 12:48:56 PM
Quote from: blackbear4110 on May 05, 2015, 12:31:05 PM
We are using GoDaddy for the domain and hosting. 
This is a known problem with GoDaddy... They automatically remove Subs-Post.php because their scanners think that it's a malicious spammer script.

IIRC, if you load the package from your file manager (inside their control panel), not via FTP, the file will survive.
This would explain why the files disappear each time I tried adding them to FTP.
I've never used the control panel or file manager on GoDaddy, but adding both Post.php and Subs-Post.php that way was simple, and they have remained!
And that seems to have fixed my problems!  I was successfully able to register a test/second Admin account, and leave a reply to a topic.

Thank you both for your help!  Hopefully that's the last of the problems I have.

Kindred

for your notes... the "autoinstaller" that I referenced is GoDaddy's "one click install" and it is a piece of junk...

when a host adds our program into their library, it looks great... but we lose control of it after that (as does anyone who uses the host's autoinstaller)   it can lead to unrequested and damaging "auto upgrades" amongst other things.

And yup - The GoDaddy auto delete of those files is what I feared...     Glad you got it sorted. :)
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

Advertisement: