News:

SMF 2.1.4 has been released! Take it for a spin! Read more.

Main Menu

Moving Forum without CPanel

Started by concerned1, May 06, 2015, 10:21:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

concerned1

Hello, our admin and hosting account owner is missing from 6 six months ago and I wanted to know if I could move the forum to a new hosting, I'm a forum admin and I have access to make backup from forum's admin dashboard but not from CPanel. Our SMF version is 2.0.7. And I'd also like to know what version would you recommend for me to reinstall the forum.

margarett

Hi and welcome.

You can try to export your database from your admin panel. Be sure to empty your error log first.
The database dump is known to fail in some server setups (especially when the dump is big enough...) so make to *TEST* your dump (eg, try it in XAMPP in your local machine)
Furthermore, you will not be able to save your file structure. This means that your themes and MODs will be lost and will have to be reinstalled after you restore your database and use a fresh set of files + repair_settings to connect them to your "restored" database

Good luck ;)
Se forem conduzir, não bebam. Se forem beber... CHAMEM-ME!!!! :D

QuoteOver 90% of all computer problems can be traced back to the interface between the keyboard and the chair

EvanEsce

Will all attachments be lost as well?

Illori

yes as well as any uploaded avatars.

EvanEsce

Is there a way of getting hold of the attachments without FTP access?

margarett

Not really, no...

You could try to get your hands on something like this
http://www.simplemachines.org/community/index.php?topic=348678.0
(which doesn't work anymore) but, other than that, no...
Se forem conduzir, não bebam. Se forem beber... CHAMEM-ME!!!! :D

QuoteOver 90% of all computer problems can be traced back to the interface between the keyboard and the chair

Advertisement: