Removing Main Menu Text In Responsive Mode

Started by Hj Ahmad Rasyid Hj Ismail, May 07, 2015, 02:02:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hj Ahmad Rasyid Hj Ismail

How to remove the main menu text when we are in a mobile responsive mode without loosing the link? I can easily remove the text by eg. li#button_home a {display:none;} but that will remove the purpose of the menu itself i.e. no link. In 2.0, we have a span for the text which make it easy to remove the main menu text eg. by using li#button_home a span {display:none;} without losing its link. Any other "responsive" way of doing it?

Kindred

I'd suggest checking how Bloc did it for his responsive themes for 2.0.x

text is replaced by icons once it gets below a certain width
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

margarett

Our "responsive MOD" for 2.0 also does that but 2.1 is different ;)

Antes should be here anytime soon :P
Se forem conduzir, não bebam. Se forem beber... CHAMEM-ME!!!! :D

QuoteOver 90% of all computer problems can be traced back to the interface between the keyboard and the chair

Antes

SMF 2.1 has newer version of SuperFish, which allows all devices (using Android + iOS + WP) to tap once to open the menu and second tap follows the link. That's why we don't need to change text buttons into icons.

Are you getting my question? What I want is the main menu text removed in a "responsive" way in SMF 2.1 and maintain the icons and links in mobile / small screen view. My question - "how do i do that?".

Kindred

and we answered you.  Look at how bloc did it or how the responsive "patch" for 2.0 did it...
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

Antes

well considering your question already answered by Kindred & margarett, I just gave you extra information why you shouldn't spend time on doing something not needed.

margarett

To be honest, I think we are not seeing what he wants to do...

In 2.1, when we resize the screen, it goes like this first image attached

And resizing it even further, the menu goes vertically aligned (second image)

I think that he is trying to remove the button texts just keeping the icons side by side (like we have in 2.0 responsive). A mockup  in Paint allmighty!!! :P , third image (forgot to take out Logout ehehehe)

QuoteOver 90% of all computer problems can be traced back to the interface between the keyboard and the chair

You get it right margarett. SMF 2.1 does not have span as 2.0. Thus, this question is asked.

margarett

I see your paint can do it. lol. I have compared the code between 2.0 and 2.1 and the difference for easy customization via css is only <span>menu text</span> which is removed in 2.1. This removed the ability to hide menu text via css without removing the icons in smaller screen.

Kindred

that is because they don't use a SPAN... but they still use an ID and class specific to the button.

I understood what you wanted right from the start...   you can do the same thing as 2.0 does... but you have to use a little human intelligence to figure out that, even though there is no span, you can apply the same process to the menu items
Слaва
Украинi

Sorry Kindred but so far it cannot be done and thus, this support question. Without the span, using display none will remove the links, while using visibility hidden will maintan the text space though non visible. So far, I was not able to do it in a responsive way.

Other way is to add back the span either by its template or text file.

Antes

Code (Find) Select
', $button['icon'], $button['title'], '
Code (Replace) Select
', $button['icon'],'<span class="hide_me">', $button['title'], '</span>

is all you need, then you can fix the stuff in CSS.

Gluz

A hacky approach to that is:

in responsive.css delete
.dropmenu li {
    width: 50%;
}

and replace:
.dropmenu li a {
    width: 65%;
}

by:
.dropmenu li a {
    font-size: 0px;
}

I know is not the best coding but does the trick.

Thank you Antes and Gluz. I did test what Gluz suggest and that does not remove the text but align the menu icons horizontally. Antes suggestion is what I have in mind but I was thinking whether it is possible to do it without the span as that is what the default is in 2.1 Beta 1.

The solution to make the menu icons without text aligned horizontally that I have for now is as follows:

1. In index.template.php, find
', $button['title'], '
Change with
<span class="textmenu">', $button['title'], '</span>

2. And in responsive.css, find

.dropmenu li {
width: 50%;
}

Replace with:

.dropmenu li {
width: 10%;
}
.dropmenu li span.textmenu {
display:none;
}

I guess we still be needing that span after all for easy customization and I would suggest that the span be restored in 2.1. I will mark the topic as solved.

margarett

Quote from: ahrasis on May 08, 2015, 08:06:56 AM
I guess we still be needing that span after all for easy customization and I would suggest that span be restored in 2.1. I will mark the topic as solved.
PR? :P

for the record, I also think that the span should be there. Easy customization, no bloat added :)

Antes

Quote from: margarett on May 08, 2015, 08:10:57 AM
I guess we still be needing that span after all for easy customization and I would suggest that span be restored in 2.1. I will mark the topic as solved.

for the record, I also think that the span should be there. Easy customization, no bloat added :)

It is not needed. Because menu is mobile-friendly. Don't create impression that current state of menu is not mobile friendly, its not cool.

Quote from: Antes on May 08, 2015, 08:31:27 AM
Quote from: margarett on May 08, 2015, 08:10:57 AM

It is not needed. Because menu is mobile-friendly. Don't create impression that current state of menu is not mobile friendly, its not cool.
Sorry, if my words seems to suggest it that way. Really, I don't mean to say what you have just said Antes. The current state of menu is already mobile friendly. The suggestion to add back the span is not stating it otherwise as the suggestion is only meant for easy customization. That is all about it.

Kindred

Actually, Antes --  I tend to agree with the request.

The menu *IS* mobile friendly and sorts itself nicely as the screen shrinks.
However, adding the span tags does allow for simple and easy cusotmization
(and, personally, I prefer the icon only design at smaller screen sizes)

I was under the impression that it could be done with the existing class and id structure, but apparently I was mistaken -- and I would suggest adding the <span> class and id to the menu(s)
Слaва
Украинi

Advertisement: