News:

Want to get involved in developing SMF, then why not lend a hand on our github!

Main Menu

How to Update Just Sources, Templates, and Language Files?

Started by Scooter Trash, May 07, 2015, 03:48:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Scooter Trash

I've Googled and used the search here but can't seem to find the answer.. so I'm hoping to get some assistance here.

When I run a "detailed version check" from Forum Maintenance,  It shows:

- Sources: ver. 2.0.3

- Default Templates: ver. 2.0

- Language Files: ver. 2,0

The updated version should be ver. 2.0.10 for all three.

It's showing my SMF package version to be 2.0.9

I don't know why these files weren't updated when I did the last SMF package update.
What's the best way to resolve this? Should I just update the out of date files? And if so, where do I get them?

Livaco

Try Reinstalling SMF. It Will Remove All Mods And Settings, But Just Incase It DoesentWork Have A Backup Of your Current Forum Ready

Scooter Trash

Quote from: Livaco on May 07, 2015, 04:05:11 AM
Try Reinstalling SMF. It Will Remove All Mods And Settings, But Just Incase It DoesentWork Have A Backup Of your Current Forum Ready

OK... Thanks! I know my users are in the database files, but what about the existing topics and posts? What will happen to those if I do a fresh install? - Or more specifically; where does that get stored?

Livaco

That Woint Get Restored. But If Their Is Try And Find A Place Where The Posts Are Set Insite The Files.

margarett

@Livaco, please be careful when giving this kind of advice. You are wrong in both cases, so if you aren't sure about the stuff you're talking about, don't...

Quote from: Scooter Trash on May 07, 2015, 03:48:49 AM
What's the best way to resolve this? Should I just update the out of date files? And if so, where do I get them?
DO NOT REINSTALL SMF! If you do, you will overwrite the database contents and LOOSE EVERYTHING (of course, you can restore from a backup but there is no need to do so)
Instead, load a fresh set of files as per http://wiki.simplemachines.org/smf/How_to_upload_a_fresh_set_of_files
This will indeed reset your MODs (and you should also remove and reinstall your themes other than default) but your content will be saved

Quote from: Scooter Trash on May 07, 2015, 04:14:14 AM
OK... Thanks! I know my users are in the database files, but what about the existing topics and posts? What will happen to those if I do a fresh install? - Or more specifically; where does that get stored?
Everything is stored in the database. The installer WILL clean up the database (if you give it the same prefix) do don't use it.
So, as long as you only mess with the files, the content is always safe. Can be more or less easy to bring it back if things go sour :P but as long as the database is safe, content is safe.
Se forem conduzir, não bebam. Se forem beber... CHAMEM-ME!!!! :D

QuoteOver 90% of all computer problems can be traced back to the interface between the keyboard and the chair

Scooter Trash

Thanks Margarett.  :)

Should I be able to update to the most recent version using the large package method that you provided a link to? Or would it be best to do it on the current version first and then attempt the update?

margarett

Se forem conduzir, não bebam. Se forem beber... CHAMEM-ME!!!! :D

QuoteOver 90% of all computer problems can be traced back to the interface between the keyboard and the chair

Scooter Trash

Shambles

It's possible your low postcount (< 10?) is preventing you seeing the attachment in marge's post?

If it is, just reply to this and it may magically appear there ;)

Scooter Trash

Quote from: Shambles on May 07, 2015, 04:56:52 PM
It's possible your low postcount (< 10?) is preventing you seeing the attachment in marge's post?

If it is, just reply to this and it may magically appear there ;)

Oh! I was actually seeing it but thinking it was part of the tagline.. DOH!  My bad.. Thanks

Advertisement: