Started by CenTexPatriot, May 07, 2015, 10:24:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

CenTexPatriot

System hangs on "Fetching Preview"

Hopefully there's a simple cure?

Kindred

mods installed?
url of your forum?
browser being used?  (does it fail in all browsers?)

Did you clean and refresh your cache (both server and browser) after installing the update?
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

margarett

2.0.10 FIXES that behavior, not provoke it...
How did you upgrade? Patch or large upgrade?
Se forem conduzir, não bebam. Se forem beber... CHAMEM-ME!!!! :D

QuoteOver 90% of all computer problems can be traced back to the interface between the keyboard and the chair

CenTexPatriot

Quote from: Kindred on May 07, 2015, 10:27:24 AM
mods installed?
url of your forum?
browser being used?  (does it fail in all browsers?)

Did you clean and refresh your cache (both server and browser) after installing the update?

No mods installed - default curved theme
Forum is closed/private/members only
Fails in IE, Firefox, Chrome and Aviator

Upgrade method based on notification email:

"If you are running version 2.0.9/1.1.20, you can update your forum to the latest version by using the package manager. As usual, you should see the upgrade notification in the admin panel and in the package manager, which will allow you to download and install the patch seamlessly."

No errors during download or install.

margarett

The patch does change script.js. Can you please hit CTRL+F5 (to reload cached files) and try again?

If that doesn't work, can you please attach script.js?

QuoteOver 90% of all computer problems can be traced back to the interface between the keyboard and the chair

CenTexPatriot

Quote from: margarett on May 07, 2015, 11:12:54 AM
The patch does change script.js. Can you please hit CTRL+F5 (to reload cached files) and try again?

CTRL+F5 produced no positive change

Can you please lead me to the location of the script.js file? I could only locate the smf_patch_1.1.21_2.0.10.zip file in the Packages directory, and it does not contain that file.

CenTexPatriot

Quote from: CenTexPatriot on May 07, 2015, 11:32:52 AM
Quote from: margarett on May 07, 2015, 11:12:54 AM

CTRL+F5 produced no positive change

Can you please lead me to the location of the script.js file? I could only locate the smf_patch_1.1.21_2.0.10.zip file in the Packages directory, and it does not contain that file.

Found it...

margarett

Sorry, my bad... Post.template.php is what I need :P

margarett

Nop, that file is also OK...

Sorry, I have no idea. It should work. Can you check, with Firefox's developer tools, if there is any JavaScript error in the console?

CenTexPatriot

Quote from: margarett on May 07, 2015, 12:20:39 PM
Nop, that file is also OK...

Sorry, I have no idea. It should work. Can you check, with Firefox's developer tools, if there is any JavaScript error in the console?

How can I reverse the update please, without making things worse of course  :)

margarett

You can go to Package Manager, you should be able to uninstall the patch. But I am pretty sure that the problem is not with SMF (at least, nothing we can reproduce :( )

Can we have a link to your forum and a test account? (no admin  needed?)

CenTexPatriot

Quote from: margarett on May 07, 2015, 12:34:16 PM
You can go to Package Manager, you should be able to uninstall the patch. But I am pretty sure that the problem is not with SMF (at least, nothing we can reproduce :( )

Can we have a link to your forum and a test account? (no admin  needed?)

The uninstall was successful, and the preview function now works again (all browsers)

Sorry, no offense, but I cannot get you in - it requires a vote of the current membership to allow that, as all content is strictly private.

Do you think using the large upgrade instead of the patch would make a difference?

margarett

No. And I *honestly* don't see how that is even possible...

2.0.9 broke previews in FF (only in FF as far as we know), 2.0.10 fixed it.
In fact, you *can* use preview here and it is 2.0.10... As probably in every other forum, it's the first time someone complained about that...

But because you run default theme and no MODs, please backup your files and upload the attached package, overwriting existing files. Don't forget to remove the upgrade* files ;)

Kindred

you said that you cleared your local cache...   but did you clear the server cache?   and does your host use a caching system?

It might take some time to trickle through...
2.0.9 is KNOWN to make the preview fail.
2.0.10 fixes it...

so, by backing out the update, you are going back to a known, broken version which will not fix the issue that you say started with 2.0.10
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

CenTexPatriot

Quote from: Kindred on May 07, 2015, 02:31:45 PM
you said that you cleared your local cache...   but did you clear the server cache?   and does your host use a caching system?

It might take some time to trickle through...
2.0.9 is KNOWN to make the preview fail.
2.0.10 fixes it...

so, by backing out the update, you are going back to a known, broken version which will not fix the issue that you say started with 2.0.10

Local and server cache were both cleared.

I hear what you're saying, but the fact is that my 2.0.9 preview works (and has always worked since installation in February) and in 2.0.10 preview does not work since upgrading yesterday.

Removing the update and reverting back to the 2.0.9 version has corrected the problem, and the preview works flawlessly now, just as it did before the update.

Can you explain that? I can't.

CenTexPatriot

Quote from: margarett on May 07, 2015, 12:59:18 PM
No. And I *honestly* don't see how that is even possible...

2.0.9 broke previews in FF (only in FF as far as we know), 2.0.10 fixed it.
In fact, you *can* use preview here and it is 2.0.10... As probably in every other forum, it's the first time someone complained about that...

But because you run default theme and no MODs, please backup your files and upload the attached package, overwriting existing files. Don't forget to remove the upgrade* files ;)

Got the download, backing up files now.

Thanks!

Advertisement: