News:

Want to get involved in developing SMF, then why not lend a hand on our github!

Main Menu

Colored usernames.

Started by burgerhands, May 09, 2015, 05:24:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

burgerhands

Hello. I would like my forum's users to be able to change the display color of their username. Is this possible?

Antes

Hello,

Yes it is possible you can use one of the modification listed below. If you need information about how to install them you can look at Package Manager.

- SimpleColorizer (Personally recommend): http://custom.simplemachines.org/mods/index.php?mod=3067
- Member Color Link: http://custom.simplemachines.org/mods/index.php?mod=111

Steve

I use SimpleColorizer as well but I don't believe either of those mods let the members change their own display color. Is that correct Antes?
DO NOT pm me for support!

Illori

Quote from: Steve on May 09, 2015, 08:49:22 AM
Is that correct Antes?

i believe so, they let the admin pick the color for the group and that shows on the username.

Antes

Quote from: Steve on May 09, 2015, 08:49:22 AM
I use SimpleColorizer as well but I don't believe either of those mods let the members change their own display color. Is that correct Antes?

Correct :)

burgerhands

I am currently using Member Color Link, but that means I have to make a custom Membergroup for every single user. It's not that bad, so it will suffice if a user-controlled name color mod doesn't exist or can't be made.

I used to have a forum that allowed users to select not only the color of their name, but the background color, and outline color. They could also choose just partial outlines: left, top, right, bottom. I think possibly it also allowed text modification, like Bold and Strikethrough. That was very cool. Is something like that even possible on SMF?

Kindred

Anything is possible, if you can code it...   In this case, it's not a minor task
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

burgerhands

Yes, I thought as much. It seems like it would take enough work that someone might not want to do it for free. Unless someone thinks it's a great idea and wants to make it their project.

br360

This may be close to what you are looking for, as members can choose their own color. http://www.smfsimple.com/index.php?action=downloads;sa=view;download=49

burgerhands

I apologize for not making this an official request or following suggested formatting. I'll go ahead and formally request this feature in case anyone feels they're up to the task.

[FREE] Robust Username Color Options

Though ideally this would be free, if it is enough work to warrant a price tag, I will pay it. It is something my users have requested for years, and I don't have the ability to create it.

Version
My forum is running on SMF 2.0 RC5. Ideally the mod would work with this version, though if a newer version would make the mod easier to implement, I would certainly upgrade my forum to accommodate the mod.

Description
This mod would add a feature to the Forum Profile section for each user. It would allow fairly robust options for customizing the user's display name. Color options would be Font Color, Background Color, Outline Color. Background would extend 2px in each direction around the username. Outline would extend 1px around the background. Ideally, the outline could be enabled piece-by-piece, with options for Left, Top, Right, and Bottom. Font options would be Bold, Italics, Underline, and Strikethrough.

Permissions
This is a feature for all members, accessible through the Forum Profile.

Feature Set
I suppose this was covered in the Description section.

I know this is a lot to ask, but if anyone feels they're up to it, I would love to discuss it. Any input on feasibility, time frame, or potential cost, please provide it. This is something that I would very much like to incorporate, so I'd like to know what it will take. Thanks.

burgerhands

Quote from: br360 on May 09, 2015, 05:41:41 PM
This may be close to what you are looking for, as members can choose their own color. http://www.smfsimple.com/index.php?action=downloads;sa=view;download=49 [nofollow]

Thank you. I will take a look at that.

Kindred

Omg...   You need to upgrade ASAP!! !!!

You are 11 versions behind, many of them security releases.
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

burgerhands

Egad! I've only relatively recently become Admin and I'm the first one who isn't a deadbeat, so thanks for the recommendation.

Okay, as a (hopefully) simple solution in the interim... could someone tell me how to make usernames have bold text everywhere? They're bold within threads, but I want them to be bold on the page displaying threads, as well.

Steve

Quote from: burgerhands on May 09, 2015, 06:07:03 PMEgad! I've only relatively recently become Admin and I'm the first one who isn't a deadbeat, so thanks for the recommendation.

Make sure you update one step at a time.

burgerhands

Kindred

Actually, he can't.  Going from rc5 to any version of the final release path will require a full upgrade.
Слaва
Украинi

burgerhands

I'll be able to keep my databases, right? Members, Posts, Emoticons, etc? I'm having a backup done so that I can attempt the upgrade at minimal risk, but this is slightly out of my wheelhouse.

Kindred

Posts and members are in the database...  That gets upgraded but not replaced.

The files all get replaced with 2.0.10 version files...  But you should be able to keep the smilies, as long as you are careful not to overwrite them...
You will have to reinstall any mods that you have
Слaва
Украинi

burgerhands

burgerhands

I used the Inspect Element tool on Chrome to make it clear what I'm after. Am I being naive or is this very doable? To have these options added to the user profile?

Kindred

we understood from the start, what you wanted...

looks like that mod from smf simple might actually be pretty close to what you have asked for.
Слaва
Украинi

Steve

Quote from: Kindred on May 09, 2015, 10:06:18 PM
Actually, he can't.  Going from rc5 to any version of the final release path will require a full upgrade.

Ah. Good to know. :)

burgerhands

Quote from: Kindred on May 10, 2015, 06:31:00 AM
we understood from the start, what you wanted...

No need to be a dick.

I'll just work on this myself.

Kindred

I wasn't  being rude...    I was clarifying that we understood what you wanted - so there was no need to continue beating that bush  -- and the mod pointed out you from smf simple does most (if not all) of what you asked
Слaва
Украинi

burgerhands

I apologize for inferring too much from your post. I am actually very excited about learning more HTML and CSS to be able to accomplish my goal. I expect it'll be a long road, but a fulfilling one.

burgerhands

This may be close to what you are looking for, as members can choose their own color. http://www.smfsimple.com/index.php?action=downloads;sa=view;download=49 [nofollow]

I am failing to see how to download this. Does it have to be paid for?

br360

You have to register for an account there, and once you do I think each mod there does cost about two dollars.

Siirist

Quote from: burgerhands on May 10, 2015, 06:39:11 PM
This may be close to what you are looking for, as members can choose their own color. http://www.smfsimple.com/index.php?action=downloads;sa=view;download=49

I am failing to see how to download this. Does it have to be paid for?

I used google translator to translate the webpage and here is the important part

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
And Glow Color V2 Title

YOU CAN NOT DOWNLOAD THIS FILE !!
    You must log in or Register
        Go to this Topic Archive

File name: And Glow Color V2 Title
Submitted by: 4kstore
Section: Profiles
Envoy: August 17, 2011 - 11:48 23:48
Last Update: August 14, 2013 - 2:02 14:02
Total Downloads: 466
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Be Well,
Siirist
Needed information:
- What's your SMF version?, What MODs are installed? What Theme(s) are you using? Have you backed up your database?

--> At least 50% of the questions asked are answered in the Online Manual <--
Mods for ver 1.x will NOT run on ver 2.x

Advertisement: