Settings.php is blank

Started by greatlogix, May 17, 2015, 07:58:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

greatlogix

Hello,

All of sudden forum has stopped working. Forum home page is blank. Reason is settings.php is zero bytes or blank. I don't know how it happens. I did not made any changes to files in few months. I tried to fix it using repair_settings.php but its not working. How to fix this issue? Please help

Illori

do you have a Settings_bak.php? if so copy it and rename it Settings.php.

Kindred

what version of smf are you running?
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

greatlogix

SMF 2.0.1 . Settings_bak.php is also blannk. Is it hacking attempt? What to do now?

Illori

do you have a backup? you really need to upgrade once you get this fixed.

greatlogix

No. I don't have backup. What to do now?

Kindred

ah... yes.   That was before the race condition was fixed.

no.. it was not a hack, just a rare occurrence (which was, incidentally fixed in a future version - hence the reason you really need to keep updated in your software).... and also demonstrative of why you need regular backups.

As for what you can do now.
get the new installation from our download site.
on your person computer extract Settings.php and Settings_bak.php
upload them to your webserver

edit Settings.php manually ---   

edit in the database connection information (database name, username, password)
edit in the path and URL information for your site/forum
save

if it still does not work as expected, try using repair_settings.php
http://wiki.simplemachines.org/smf/Repair_settings.php
but this utility is only useful for updating an existing Settings, not a blank one...  so it wouldn't work as the first option.
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

Burke ♞ Knight

Also, should this topic be moved to the 2.0 support board, and not the Server Performance and Configuration board?

Illori

Quote from: greatlogix on May 17, 2015, 08:50:41 AM
No. I don't have backup. What to do now?

does your host possibly have a backup?

greatlogix

Thanks Kindred. It worked. Auto update from admin is not working. I think i need to manually update forum.

Kindred

By auto update, are you talking about a host-level updater, like a one click installer?

If so...  Never, ever, ever,never use those.

Smf does notify you, in the admin, and in the package manager, when a new patch version is released...  And each one can be applied, in sequence, thus preserving your forum mods, etc with no interruption.
Слaва
Украинi

Advertisement: