News:

Wondering if this will always be free?  See why free is better.

Main Menu

[PAID] Hashtags for SMF

Started by nsno, May 17, 2015, 12:02:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

nsno

essentially looking for something to match the hashtag feature on Twitter, but in SMF topics

no set budget, but would be prepared to work with whoever felt they could do it best

shadow82x

Colin B
Former Spammer, Customize, & Support Team Member

nsno

Quote from: mcblaber on May 17, 2015, 12:09:48 PM
Have you taken a look at: http://custom.simplemachines.org/mods/?mod=579 ?

yeah, that's not what I'm looking for though unfortunately

users want to be able to use the # symbol to create tags now that Twitter has made it so simple for them - tagging systems tend to go unused with my demographic unless it is the same as Twitter, when no doubt they'll then go mad and create a million hashtags per post!

Kindred

That is distinctly unlikely to be done...

The BBC coding is already some of the most "expensive" (in terms of processing power) queries in the code...   Adding something like hashtags, which could be anything, would bs absolutely kill a site running on a shared server.
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

nsno

Quote from: Kindred on May 17, 2015, 02:15:36 PM
That is distinctly unlikely to be done...

The BBC coding is already some of the most "expensive" (in terms of processing power) queries in the code...   Adding something like hashtags, which could be anything, would bs absolutely kill a site running on a shared server.

good job I don't run on a shared server then really

but as an aside, I don't see what is *so* different to the @mentions mod (as an example of a mod that creates a link out of a text term preceded by a symbol in a post) - sure, the @mentions mod has to look through a database to find a match, but doesn't that actually just make it more "expensive"?

a hashtag mod wouldn't need to query the database on the post-creation screen, it would be done as the message is posted.  it looks through the text, finds the # symbol and makes the following word a link to something like http://example.com/tags/thewordlinkedto which then contains links to all posts that have that hashtag in them.

I *get* that it's not easy, which is why I'm prepared to pay for it rather than try and do it myself (which I know I wouldn't be able to do)

it's been done for a fork of SMF already, but I'm bored of waiting for the dev to port it back to SMF, so figured I'd offer some cash to someone else - I've even got the script that is used on the port of SMF if the author needs inspiration

Kindred

Well, first of all, I beleive that the mentions mod, like BBC is done at DISPLAY time, not post time...  Which means it is processed every single view. Additionally, it is a potentially unlimited list, whereas BBC and mentions is distinctly limited by the BBC tag list or the member list, both of which are known.

Second, unlike mentions and BBC, the hashtag mod needs to do much much more...
1- check the database to see if others have used that hashtag
2- if so, associate the hashtag to a linked page for display of all of those posts.
3- if not, create a new entry and the linked page...

On the linked page, your would need to either store a list of all message ids that contain each and every hashtag or you would need to search, every time to find the matching hashtags.
Either one gets expensive, quickly...

Especially since there is no limit to hashtags...  And #cranberry is different from #cranberries
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

nsno

Quote from: Kindred on May 17, 2015, 03:44:59 PM
Well, first of all, I beleive that the mentions mod, like BBC is done at DISPLAY time, not post time...  Which means it is processed every single view. Additionally, it is a potentially unlimited list, whereas BBC and mentions is distinctly limited by the BBC tag list or the member list, both of which are known.

Second, unlike mentions and BBC, the hashtag mod needs to do much much more...
1- check the database to see if others have used that hashtag
2- if so, associate the hashtag to a linked page for display of all of those posts.
3- if not, create a new entry and the linked page...

On the linked page, your would need to either store a list of all message ids that contain each and every hashtag or you would need to search, every time to find the matching hashtags.
Either one gets expensive, quickly...

Especially since there is no limit to hashtags...  And #cranberry is different from #cranberries

I'm not a coder (by any definition) so I respect your input.  I may be thinking about it differently to how you understand it to be coded, though.

I don't see a need to check the database to see if others have used the hashtag, just the need to link to the page like example.com/index.php?tag=WORD when the post is displayed, reducing load from the mentions mod

whether that page exists or not (yet) isn't a concern for the page displaying the post containing the hashtag, it just needs to display the hashtag with a link associated with it

it's when the user clicks "Post" that it would get expensive (ish) as the page either needs to be created - unless a list of hashtags is created in the database, or hashtags associated with a post is added to the topics table

either that or when the user clicks on the hashtag then a search needs to be done to display all the posts containing that hashtag if the above isn't done

as I said, I'm not a coder, so I don't know which approach is better / less expensive, but because it's been done before then I have to imagine it's possible to do without killing every server it's installed on

margarett

Quote from: Kindred on May 17, 2015, 03:44:59 PM
Well, first of all, I beleive that the mentions mod, like BBC is done at DISPLAY time, not post time... 
You would be wrong :P

The mentions are processed at post, replacing the @someone with a link to his profile ;)

If the "issue" is just finding the "#" character and replace the following word with a link to something, that can be done. But the main issue is this:
Quote from: Kindred on May 17, 2015, 03:44:59 PMAnd #cranberry is different from #cranberries
If this is not a problem, well, it should be doable...
Se forem conduzir, não bebam. Se forem beber... CHAMEM-ME!!!! :D

QuoteOver 90% of all computer problems can be traced back to the interface between the keyboard and the chair

Rain Forest

margarett

I do see a major drawback in this, though... What exactly would the hashtag link to? To a forum post/topic?
Like, I'm writing, then I write #bananas
What exactly would bananas link to?
Se forem conduzir, não bebam. Se forem beber... CHAMEM-ME!!!! :D

QuoteOver 90% of all computer problems can be traced back to the interface between the keyboard and the chair

nsno

Quote from: margarett on May 18, 2015, 01:12:26 PM
I do see a major drawback in this, though... What exactly would the hashtag link to? To a forum post/topic?
Like, I'm writing, then I write #bananas
What exactly would bananas link to?

a page linking to all the posts that have #bananas in them (not actual bananas, that would be, well, bananas, but the hashtag "bananas")

it's just a different take on the tagcloud idea that forums and CMS's used to use really isn't it, but instead of being listed at the end of a post in a pretty ugly way, they're "inline" tags

Quote from: Rain Forest on May 18, 2015, 12:38:10 PM
+1 for this mod req

I will PM you when it's done.  It's a paid mod, so if you want to contribute to the payment then that would be appreciated.  Also, the mod author will only be offering support to myself, so any issues would be your responsibility - although you'd get the same upgrades as I got.  It's a risk when paying for a mod that you don't get individual support for, admittedly, but from speaking to the author it doesn't seem like there'd be much need for support.

Dragooon

What kind of budget are you prepared for this? Won't be too simple

nsno

Quote from: Dragooon on May 18, 2015, 01:37:20 PM
What kind of budget are you prepared for this? Won't be too simple

I've already found a coder but, seriously, thanks for your interest in coding this - yet another great SMF coder expressing interest is really encouraging

norristh

Any chance that this will be made publicly available when complete?  Understandably without any support offered.  I think this would be useful for many sites!

JBlaze

Quote from: norristh on August 12, 2015, 12:00:49 AM
Any chance that this will be made publicly available when complete?  Understandably without any support offered.  I think this would be useful for many sites!

Highly doubtful. Custom jobs are usually tailored to a single site, and the price paid is for that uniqueness.
Jason Clemons
Former Team Member 2009 - 2012

Steve

That brings up a question to me ... who would decide whether a paid mod will be released to the public? The person who paid for the mod? The mod writer? Combination of both?
DO NOT pm me for support!

Illori

Quote from: Steve on August 12, 2015, 10:18:32 AM
That brings up a question to me ... who would decide whether a paid mod will be released to the public? The person who paid for the mod? The mod writer? Combination of both?

mostly up to the author of the mod and the conditions defined when they got hired to complete the job.

Suki

Thats decided between the employer and the employee before anything gets done. At least thats how I do it.

In this specific case I hereby granted ALL rights over the code to my employer.
Disclaimer: unless otherwise stated, all my posts are personal and does not represent any views or opinions held by Simple Machines.

Antes

Quote from: Steve on August 12, 2015, 10:18:32 AM

That totally depends on the people, I give all rights of my work to my employee as well. But people work bit cheap and keep rights and release the code to public (open free/closed free/crowd founded free/micro paid/paid).

Steve

Thanks all of you. :)

@ nsno - so this topic is solved then?
DO NOT pm me for support!

Advertisement: