News:

Want to get involved in developing SMF, then why not lend a hand on our github!

Main Menu

[PAID] "Your posts on this day" feature

Started by nsno, May 17, 2015, 12:03:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

nsno

to mimic the Facebook feature which allows users to see their posts from today's date (whatever that might be) in years gone by

again, no set budget, but prepared to work with whoever can do this best

margarett

Could you please explain further?

You want an action where a user can see is posts from "today"? And what is today? Since 00h00 or in last 24h, counting from when the user is seeing the page?

Is it available for everyone to see or just for each user to see his own posts?
Se forem conduzir, não bebam. Se forem beber... CHAMEM-ME!!!! :D

QuoteOver 90% of all computer problems can be traced back to the interface between the keyboard and the chair

Kindred

He means...   Show all posts that a user made on May 16, 2014... Or any given date.

It sounds like the user is trying to duplicate Facebook....
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

nsno

Quote from: Kindred on May 17, 2015, 05:31:18 PM
He means...   Show all posts that a user made on May 16, 2014... Or any given date.

or 2013, or 2012, or 2011, or 2010

Quote from: Kindred on May 17, 2015, 05:31:18 PM
It sounds like the user is trying to duplicate Facebook....

I'm trying to offer features that users enjoy on my site

if that feature appears on social networks that are popular beyond belief, then that's probably because users enjoy that experience

if users want to have that capability on an SMF forum, then where is the problem in trying to offer it to them?

margarett

Yup, I see no reason not to ;)

That seems doable, I'm just not imagining a presentation for the date input... Any idea?

QuoteOver 90% of all computer problems can be traced back to the interface between the keyboard and the chair

nsno

Quote from: margarett on May 18, 2015, 12:19:32 PM
Yup, I see no reason not to ;)

That seems doable, I'm just not imagining a presentation for the date input... Any idea?

simplest format would be to use the server date?

that way, whatever day you looked at it, it would be standardised for everyone

the idea isn't to let people search their post history by day - they can search by keywords if they want to find a specific post - but rather a quirk of a feature, not a full-blown useful one ;)

margarett

No, that wasn't my question. The date is always whatever is stored in the "messages" table ;)

What I am trying to imagine is how to present the "date chooser". We have no "calendar" object in SMF so it has to be something like the calendar chooser (see attach)

nsno

Quote from: margarett on May 18, 2015, 02:14:31 PM
No, that wasn't my question. The date is always whatever is stored in the "messages" table ;)

What I am trying to imagine is how to present the "date chooser". We have no "calendar" object in SMF so it has to be something like the calendar chooser (see attach)

is there no way that a script could pull the server date and then pull messages from that date exactly 1,2,3,4,5 etc years ago?

margarett

Yes, there is. That's not the problem :P

Wait, maybe I don't see how that works :P What you want is a way to choose the specific day to fetch the posts, or the posts made "n" years ago, relating to "today"?

Illori

i believe the op wants to be able to see posts made by x user on may 18, 2015 2014 etc so the same day in different years.

nsno

Quote from: margarett on May 18, 2015, 05:41:04 PM
Yes, there is. That's not the problem :P

Wait, maybe I don't see how that works :P What you want is a way to choose the specific day to fetch the posts, or the posts made "n" years ago, relating to "today"?

yeah, basically, each day a user can "look back" at their posts from "today" but "n" years ago

they can't decide to look at their posts from yesterday "n" years ago, or tomorrow, just "today" so there is no choice mechanism needed

live627

they can't decide to look at their posts from yesterday "n" years ago, or tomorrow, just "today" so there is no choice mechanism needed
Except, perhaps, a dropdown listing the years...

nsno

Quote from: live627 on May 19, 2015, 09:44:42 PM
Except, perhaps, a dropdown listing the years...

hmmm...yes, that could be good for those who are used to posting several hundred times a day!

yes, perhaps that would be a better solution than just listing their posts in descending year order!

fancy offering a quote for the work?

Dragooon

If you're still interested, feel free to drop me a PM with your budget.

Advertisement: