Changing hyperlink colors for a:link, a:visit, & a:hover

Started by ATG-AZ, May 19, 2015, 10:07:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ATG-AZ

Greetings all!

I just started using SMF 2.0.6 (GoDaddy's install) this last weekend.  I was able to get the forum installed, and themes installed and applied.  I have a number of themes installed and took a look at them all via the Admin panel by selecting them from the pull down list.  I picked Veterans Day.

I have been tweaking little things here and there as I have been populating the forum. With a little effort and googling I have been able to find what I need, to do what I want to do.

Being new to PHP(??) coding I have a question concerning the index.css file within a theme.  In my case Veterans Day.

Is there an excepted order, or industry standard fro the order of the commands in the index.css file? 

For example can I put this anywhere on the list?  Would it work at the bottom of the list?  Or in the middle somewhere?

This is the first entry on the Veterans Day theme index.css file.
/* Styles for the general looks for the Curve theme.
------------------------------------------------------- */

/* Normal, standard links. */
a:link, a:visited
{
   color: #000000;
   text-decoration: none;
}
a:hover
{
   text-decoration: underline;
}

/* Tables should show empty cells. */
table
{
   empty-cells: show;
}

I ask because I can't find where to change the hyper link colors within posts and private messages.  After reading a few very old threads I found this entry (if its the right one) & came up with this code. 

/* Posts and personal messages displayed throughout the forum. */
.post a:link
{
   color: #1144ff          <--Blue
}
.post a:visited
{
   color: #cc00bb;        <--Purple
}
.post a:hover
{
   color: #ff0033           <---RED
}
.personalmessage a:link
{
   color: #1144ff
}
.personalmessage a:visited
{
   color: #cc00bb;
}
.personalmessage a:hover
{
   color: #ff0033
}
{
   overflow: auto;
   line-height: 1.4em;
   padding: 0.1em 0;
}

/* All the signatures used in the forum.  If your forum users use Mozilla, Opera, or Safari, you might add max-height here ;). */
.signature, .attachments

Originally it only had this entry:  I've tried it with and without it.
{
   overflow: auto;
   line-height: 1.4em;
   padding: 0.1em 0;
}

Is this the correct location to change" hyperlink colors" in posts & PMs for a:link, a:visit, a: hover?
What is wrong with the code?  As it does not make all the changes it only applies the purple/violet color #cc00bb for all three.  No change when I hover over the link or after I visited the link.

School me on what I am doing wrong please....  :)

Kindred

well, for one - you need to upgrade. 2.0.6 is outdated and insecure. 2.0.10 is the current version.

for your question.. CSS parses last in -- in other words, if something is defined at the top and the redefined at the bottom of the file, then the one at the bottom would be the one to get processed.
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

ATG-AZ

....if something is defined at the top and the redefined at the bottom of the file, then the one at the bottom would be the one to get processed.

So if one was to add the definitions to index.css willy-nilly over time, they could end up with a bunch of useless code, (bloat) if they don't clean up as they make changes.  When running the code, it doesn't matter, (other than time taken I suppose) that multiple entries for the same definition exist because the last definition is the 'decider', so to speak.

I'll upgrade to 2.0.10 first.

For the changes I want to make, am I in the correct location in the code?
Is the code correct?

Or will the upgrade fix this issue??

ATG-AZ

Upgrade question:

I have backed up my database.  Everything in the [Forum] folder which includes all things SMF.
I downloaded and extracted the [smf_2-0-10_upgrade.zip] file -2306Kb

My question is, using the Upgrade method: 

Do I upload the contents of [smf_2-0-10_upgrade] folder, into the existing [Forum] folder?
Which will over write most of whats in there.

Or do I upload to another folder within the existing Forum Folder?

For fear of over-writing folders and files I shouldn't, I have it uploaded to a separate folder named [smf_2-0-10_upgrade] within the [Forum] folder.

When I navigate to [upgrade.php] via my browser as stated in the guide, [upgrade.php] will not run.  I get a text screen of jibberish.

I am confirming file permissions again.... :-\

Illori

ATG-AZ

Ok,  I was at 2.0.6,  I was able to download both 2.0.7 & 2.0.8 patches and get them installed.  The site shows I am running 2.0.8.

In my SMF Admin Panel is tells me a newer SMF version is available and I should update it.
Moving to the Package Manager it says I am still at 2.0.7 in the upper window but shows both listed on the lower Modifications Package list.
Moving to Installed packages it tells me 2.0.7 & 2.0.8 updates are installed.
All other indicators on the site says my version is 2.0.8.

I have uploaded both 2.0.9 update & 2.0.10 upgrade zip files to the Packages folder.
I have uploaded both 2.0.9 update & 2.0.10 upgrade expanded files to the Packages folder.
I tried uploading via the SMF FTP Upload a Package, but it errors out quickly saying the zip file is empty.
I ended up using FileZilla to upload all four of the files. Both Zips and both expanded.
I have set permissions on all files in the Packages folder to full, 777, via FileZilla.

I followed this thread about FileZilla
I uploaded with file type on [Auto] and [Binary] tick boxes ticked as per thread.

After all that, I cannot see any of the 2.0.9 or 2.0.10 updates, upgrades, folders, nothing, in Package Manager.
See them plain as day via FileZilla or GoDaddy control Panel.

Can someone explain the difference between a patch, an update, (like 2.0.9) an upgrade, (like 2.0.10) & an Install, (like 2.0.10)
I gather [install] is a complete fresh install, any mods/tweaks will have to be re-done.
Patch, update, upgrade mean basically the same things and are handled the same way?

What I am doing something wrong?  I just want to get up to date and this has me running in circles.

I posted this in the Install & Upgrade topic area too.  Seeing as how this has morphed to an install issue.

Kindred

what does your copyright line say for a version?

patch = a package manager mod which will apply the patches directly to your system without overwriting anything
upgrade = overwrite all files and run upgrade script to update the database
install = new installation
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

roshaoar

To answer your first question, you probably have some class, ID or cascading clashes. It's too much to explain how CSS works here, but a way to make things clearer for yourself is the use of a browser that shows you what's being applied where. F12 in IE is good for this, there's also a Developer Edition for Firefox. And the original Firebug tool for Firebox. Bound to be something for Chrome too. Take a few minutes to learn how to have these show you the CSS affecting the element you'd like to change and it'll save you quite a bit of time.

ATG-AZ

Kindred:

From the bottom of the page:

SMF 2.0.8 | SMF © 2014, Simple Machines | Veterans day by SMFHacks.com [nofollow] - SMF Mods
    XHTML RSS WAP2

Same thing in the Admin Center panel/Support Info.

I'll remove my other post.  Thanks.
roshaoar:

Installed FireBug for FireFox.  looking at it now.  Just trying to figure out the flow.....

Edit: Forgot to mention, I was playing with Note++ before, I may have found where I need to change things. 
Just need to complete the update to try.

Kindred

so...   your site is running 2.0.8  - which means that you can use the 2.0.9 patch just fine
Слaва
Украинi

ATG-AZ

One would think....

This is what the Admin panel says. 
SMF 2.0.10 and 1.1.21 have been released. on April 24, 2015, 10:09:00 AM
    A patch has been released, addressing a few bugs in SMF 2.0.x and SMF 1.1.x. We urge all forum administrators to upgrade to SMF 2.0.10 or 1.1.21—simply visit the package manager to install the patch.
SMF 2.1 Beta 1 released on November 20, 2014, 07:40:06 PM
    Simple Machines is proud to announce the first beta of the next version of SMF, with many improvements and new features!
SMF 2.0.9 and 1.1.20 security patches have been released. on October 02, 2014, 07:13:50 PM

The 2.0.9 patch is recommended but the link goes to the patch page then the download page.
Where I downloaded both 2.0.9 and 2.0.10.

From post above:

I have uploaded both 2.0.9 update & 2.0.10 upgrade zip files to the Packages folder.
I have uploaded both 2.0.9 update & 2.0.10 upgrade expanded files to the Packages folder.
I tried uploading via the SMF FTP Upload a Package, but it errors out quickly saying the zip file is empty.
I ended up using FileZilla to upload all four of the files. Both Zips and both expanded.
I have set permissions on all files in the Packages folder to full, 777, via FileZilla.

I followed this thread about FileZilla
I uploaded with file type on [Auto] and [Binary] tick boxes ticked as per thread.

After all that, I cannot see any of the 2.0.9 or 2.0.10 updates, upgrades, folders, nothing, in Package Manager. 
Which way I can't select them to install.
See them plain as day via FileZilla or GoDaddy control Panel.

This is what the Package Manager says:

Package Manager

From the package manager you can download and install modifications to your forum through an easy to use interface.

Browse Packages
    Download Packages
    Installed Packages
    File Permissions
    Options

Help Latest Packages
Memory issues encountered with SMF 2.0.7, some MySQL 5.6 compatibility issues and a rare bug with the memberlist search feature have been fixed. You can install this patch (click here to install) to fix your forum and update it to 2.0.8.

If you have any problems applying it, you can try to use the upgrade file posted on the downloads page - although, any modifications you have installed will need to be uninstalled when you use that method.
Please post on the forum if you need more help.

Browse Packages

Modification Packages
   Mod Name             Version    
1.    SMF 2.0.7 Update    1.0      GRNDOT    [ Uninstall ] [ List Files ] [ Delete ]
2.    SMF 2.0.8 Update    1.0      GRNDOT                       [ List Files ] [ Delete ]

Kindred

Did you download the 2.0.9 PATCH?  Or the upgrade?

The upgrade won't run in the package manager... Only the patch will.
Слaва
Украинi

ATG-AZ

I was snooping around and found this page.  I downloaded both of these:

SMF 2.0.9 to SMF 2.0.10 — Download
SMF 2.0.8 to SMF 2.0.9 — Download

Up loaded them in zip format via FileZilla.  I can see them in Package Manager but I do not see any links or buttons to install them.
Neither of them are hot links.

Modification Packages
   Mod Name             Version    
1.    SMF 2.0.7 Update                     1.0       grndot                         [ Uninstall ] [ List Files ] [ Delete ]
2.    SMF 2.0.8 Update                     1.0       grndot                                            [ List Files ] [ Delete ]
3.    SMF 1.1.21 / 2.0.10 Update      1.0        nodot                                            [ List Files ] [ Delete ]
4.    SMF 1.1.20 / 2.0.9 Update        1.0        nodot                                            [ List Files ] [ Delete ]

Forum Maintenance
Check all files against current versions

Detailed Version Check
This shows you the versions of your installation's files versus those of the latest version. If any of these files are out of date, you should download and upgrade to the latest version at www.simplemachines.org.

SMF File               Your Version                  Current Version
SMF Package              SMF 2.0.8                   SMF 2.0.10
Sources                             2.0.3                          2.0.10
Default Templates               2.0                           2.0.10
Language Files                   2.0                            2.0.10
Current Templates              ??                                2.0

ATG-AZ

I deleted all the updates, upgrades, & patches I had uploaded before.  I backed up the site via FileZilla following this post on file type settings. 

I uploaded both patches, from my PC, I found on this page.  At least I think they are patches.  They displayed in [Package Manager/Modification Packages] before.

SMF 2.0.9 to SMF 2.0.10
SMF 2.0.8 to SMF 2.0.9

Filezilla File types during upload set to [auto],
"Treat files without extension as ASCII file" is checked,
"Treat dotfiles as ASCII files" is checked.

Now I see the patches again in [Package Manager/Modification Packages], but in a different order, same green dots on 2.0.7 & .8.

SMF 1.1.21 / 2.0.10 Update ...........is on top,
SMF 2.0.7 Update    
SMF 2.0.8 Update
SMF 1.1.20 / 2.0.9 Update .............is on bottom.

This is the message in [Latest Packages] section:
Latest Packages
Memory issues encountered with SMF 2.0.7, some MySQL 5.6 compatibility issues and a rare bug with the memberlist search feature have been fixed. You can install this patch (click here to install) to fix your forum and update it to 2.0.8.

If you have any problems applying it, you can try to use the upgrade file posted on the downloads page - although, any modifications you have installed will need to be uninstalled when you use that method.
Please post on the forum if you need more help.

Does this mean it does not recognize 2.0.8 as being installed? 
Even though all the other parts say 2.0.8 is the current version.

What I don't see now, and did not see after installing 2.0.8, is anything in the [Browse Packages] section.  The header is there, but nothing expanded under it, no down arrows, nothing.  Thus no way to install the patches.

Where do I go to fix this and bring Browse Packages list back?

Uninstall 2.0.8 and try again?
Uninstall 2.0.7 and start over?

Kindred

strange... it certainly sounds like the 2.0.8 did not fully install
Слaва
Украинi

ATG-AZ

I'm not sure what happened.

I ended up deleting everything, recovered a host back up from Saturday, and started all over.  Everything installed correctly as it should all the way from 2.0.6 to 2.0.10.

Fully updated now!!

Now I get to find where to go to do what my OP asked.  I think I have found it.  Just have to play with it.

ATG-AZ

Quote from: ATG-AZ on May 20, 2015, 03:37:28 PM
Kindred:

From the bottom of the page:

SMF 2.0.8 | SMF © 2014, Simple Machines | Veterans day by SMFHacks.com [nofollow] - SMF Mods
    XHTML RSS WAP2

Same thing in the Admin Center panel/Support Info.

I'll remove my other post.  Thanks.
roshaoar:

Installed FireBug for FireFox.  looking at it now.  Just trying to figure out the flow.....

Edit: Forgot to mention, I was playing with Note++ before, I may have found where I need to change things. 
Just need to complete the update to try.

For those trying to follow along.  ??? I did find this link on how to Create an SMF Theme. It helped me better understand the 'flow' to a newb like me. 

Advertisement: