News:

SMF 2.1.4 has been released! Take it for a spin! Read more.

Main Menu

Send password on Email upon registration

Started by Vivek24, May 21, 2015, 05:32:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Vivek24

Is there any plugin, which when registration sends the password to the email ID of the registered user for registration?

Illori

the password is hashed, it is not possible for SMF to directly know your password to email it to anyone.

Vivek24

When registration, before password hashing, is it not possible to send it to email, then hash & save the password in the database ?

margarett

Not that I know of, and I would not encourage you to do it...

Passwords are never sent in clear text by SMF. They are hashed on the client (if you have JS enabled, which pretty much everyone does) and are hashed on the server heading to the database.

Sending the password by email is insecure and I seriously advise you not to try to do it...
Se forem conduzir, não bebam. Se forem beber... CHAMEM-ME!!!! :D

QuoteOver 90% of all computer problems can be traced back to the interface between the keyboard and the chair

Vivek24

You didnt understand my intention. Sorry if my question was not clear. I dont want the user to enter the password while registration, but a randomly generated password will be sent to the user to his mail ID. Through that password got via mail, he can login & change it afterwards.

margarett

So you want to register the user yourself and send him the automatically generated password, is that it?
That's possible (it has to be coded, though).

How are you registering the members?

QuoteOver 90% of all computer problems can be traced back to the interface between the keyboard and the chair

Vivek24

I am not registering the users manually. I want the user to register, but on the registration page, password textbox should not be present. It should be randomly generated & sent to the user on submit.

margarett

OK, now it's clearer. It's not *too* complicated to implement, hope you can get someone to develop it ;)

Steve

I'm confused as to why you'd want to do that. If that happened to me, the first thing I'd do is go to my profile and change the password you sent to something I want so it would be easier if it were on the registration page.

But hey, it's your forum and I'm sure you have a reason for wanting this. :)

Edit: just saw this:

Quote from: Vivek24 on May 21, 2015, 06:19:26 AM... he can login & change it afterwards.

But that doesn't change my confusion.
DO NOT pm me for support!

Kindred

Seems to be overly complicated and not very user friendly...
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

live627

If you register a user via the admin panel, is there not an option to send the password through email?

br360

Quote from: Steve on May 21, 2015, 08:09:15 AM
I'm confused as to why you'd want to do that. If that happened to me, the first thing I'd do is go to my profile and change the password you sent to something I want so it would be easier if it were on the registration page.

But hey, it's your forum and I'm sure you have a reason for wanting this. :)

Edit: just saw this:

Quote from: Vivek24 on May 21, 2015, 06:19:26 AM... he can login & change it afterwards.

But that doesn't change my confusion.

Some forum software (punbb among others) has something like this standard. Basically a member registers for an account on a forum, then after the account is activated, they are sent a randomly generated password (not from the admin who of course has no idea what it is).

The password sent is usually something fairly intricate like say "g8B2grW4" and if I was to guess, it is probably done as some sort of extra protection for members so they don't register the same password on multiple sites, or choose "pass1234" as their password themselves. ;)

Of course after a member gets in they can always manually change their password to "pass1234" if they want to. lol

margarett

Quote from: br360 on May 22, 2015, 01:57:32 AMor choose "pass1234"
What's wrong with this password? :o I use a similar everywhere. Mine is Pass1234 because some sites enforce at least a capital letter ???

;D

live627

* live627 goes and tries the password

Error 43: Don't kill the bunny!

:D ::D

Steve

Quote from: br360 on May 22, 2015, 01:57:32 AMSome forum software (punbb among others) has something like this standard.

Yea I know. I still don't understand the reasoning though. :)
DO NOT pm me for support!

br360

Quote from: margarett on May 22, 2015, 04:56:18 AM
Quote from: br360 on May 22, 2015, 01:57:32 AMor choose "pass1234"
What's wrong with this password? :o I use a similar everywhere. Mine is Pass1234 because some sites enforce at least a capital letter ???

;D

I actually took the liberty of changing your password on all 138 sites you use the 'pass1234" on. Please pm me and I will let you know what your new passwords are. ;)

Advertisement: