News:

Bored?  Looking to kill some time?  Want to chat with other SMF users?  Join us in IRC chat or Discord

Main Menu

Hide subscription from members

Started by Dave J, May 23, 2015, 09:29:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dave J

Hi All,

Is there a way to hide a subscription from members?

The reason I ask is that we want to give people access to certain areas for a limited time, at no cost, and then have them revert back to their normal membergroup once the trail period is up, the idea is they can see areas normally hidden to them before they decide whether it's worth them subscribing or not.

I have tried unticking the box 'Allow user to auto-renew this subscription' but the members can still see the subscription in the first instance.

Any help is appreciated.

I cannot see any mods out there that can do this either.

Regards

Dave
If you want quizzes to add to the new SMF2.1 quiz mod go here . There are also walkthroughs in the forum to explain how to install them and other tips.

Kindred

It would require coding...  Possibly a whole bunch since your request is actually contrary to the entire concept of subscriptions...
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

Dave J

Quote from: Kindred on May 23, 2015, 10:12:25 AM
It would require coding...  Possibly a whole bunch since your request is actually contrary to the entire concept of subscriptions...

Thanks Kindred but I have found a way to do it without coding.

Create the subscription as normal but remove the tick from the boxes for 'Allow user to auto-renew this subscription' & 'Active'. You can then add members to the subscription and set the expiry date, as long as it's 1 day or more. You will need to put at least 1 in the 'Cost' box.

Once you have done this the member then becomes a part of the membergroup you have set for them and after the required time their subscription ends and they revert back to their normal membergroup.

I have just tested this on the site and it works OK. Normal members cannot see the subscription either so therefore cannot join it.

One thing I would say though is remember what the settings are for the 'Scheduled Tasks' 'Paid Subscription Checks' the default setting is for checks to be done every '1 day', if you have a short subscription you may want to change this to an hourly rate, if not the member could potentially have the subscription for 1 day 23 hours 59 minutes.

I hope that helps should anyone else need to do it.

Regards

Dave

Kindred

Can you change the 'Subject' of this post to 'Hide subscriptions from members' please that way people looking for the same option can find it easier. Thanks
If you want quizzes to add to the new SMF2.1 quiz mod go here . There are also walkthroughs in the forum to explain how to install them and other tips.

Sir Osis of Liver

That's interesting.  Never tried adding subscriber to inactive subscription, but it works fine.  Nice solution.
Ashes and diamonds, foe and friend,
 we were all equal in the end.

- R. Waters

Dave J

Quote from: Krash on May 23, 2015, 02:51:10 PM
That's interesting.  Never tried adding subscriber to inactive subscription, but it works fine.  Nice solution.

Thanks Krash, it's nice to give something back after all the questions I've asked in the past.

Advertisement: