Disable members editing part of Look and Layout

Started by GleamPlay.com, May 24, 2015, 09:59:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

GleamPlay.com

How to disable members from editing part of these options?

For example, I would not want members to have the option to enable "Don't Show Avatar" and "Don't Show Signature", because this will make the forum look bad.

Is this possible? Thanks!!!
Gleam - http://gleamplay.com
The SMF to have fun, meet new friends and play games!

Shambles

Surely it's upto the individual whether they want to see avatars and/or signatures? They may have bandwidth restrictions and prefer to not see graphics.

I don't think you should be denying them that option - the forum won't "look bad" at all... certainly not to the rest of the membership.

GleamPlay.com

Yes, but is removing it possible?

I would like to keep the forum as simple as possible, and these are not really necessary...
Also, most big forums do not allow people to disable avatar or signatures.

Kindred

in short... no, you can not limit that without recoding the profile
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

Shambles

Quote from: Gleam.tk
Of course it is, but as above you'd need to know the knock-on effects of removing the <li> fields from the profile template.

... most big forums do not allow people to disable avatar or signatures.
I'd love to know how you've obtained that statistic.

GleamPlay.com

Quote from: Shambles on May 24, 2015, 10:47:29 AM
... most big forums do not allow people to disable avatar or signatures.
I'd love to know how you've obtained that statistic.
Okay, sorry, I shouldn't have used "most" as it's a strong word.
But quite a few popular forums I know don't allow people to hide their avatar.
For example, League of Legends forum, Facebook (if that counts, lol).

Quote from: Shambles on May 24, 2015, 10:47:29 AM
Quote from: Gleam.tk
Of course it is, but as above you'd need to know the knock-on effects of removing the <li> fields from the profile template.
Does it require a lot of recoding to remove certain tickboxes?
If not, how can I do it?

Thanks a lot!!! :)

Steve

Wow ... I can't imagine how you don't lose members after this and some of your other requests. I'd be history if I were a member of your board with the restrictions you want to put on. (I know this is just emphasizing what Shambles said but hey, it's your board and you can certainly run it how you see fit.)
DO NOT pm me for support!

margarett

In case you still want to do it, check your Profile.template.php. There is a function "template_profile_theme_settings" where all the available settings are listed.

You just need to delete each required <li>.....</li> for whatever you want to take out.

There is absolutely no harm in doing this. The profile modify routine in Post-Modify.php checks for the presence of each $_POST['variable_here'] against the known list of fields. If that $_POST variable doesn't exist, that field is just not modified ;)
Se forem conduzir, não bebam. Se forem beber... CHAMEM-ME!!!! :D

QuoteOver 90% of all computer problems can be traced back to the interface between the keyboard and the chair

Shambles

^ yes, but I still think the knock-on effect will see members querying the lack of choice via PM, or openly on his forum(s).

Bad decision imho, if he decides to proceed with it.

margarett

To each his own :)

If he decides to go ahead, he now has the solution and the concerns. Before, he just had the concerns ;)

For what it's worth, I think I only changed the quick moderation options (checkboxes yay! :P ) in every SMF forum I ever participated. So I think that even today, after all the years I've been using SMF, I wouldn't miss most of the theme options we usually have :P
Se forem conduzir, não bebam. Se forem beber... CHAMEM-ME!!!! :D

QuoteOver 90% of all computer problems can be traced back to the interface between the keyboard and the chair

Dwev

Whatever you think of showing lots of options or fewer, why in heavens name is the last option ("Show quick moderation as") standard visible for normal users?

efk

Quote from: Dwev on November 17, 2017, 04:29:03 PM
Whatever you think of showing lots of options or fewer, why in heavens name is the last option ("Show quick moderation as") standard visible for normal users?
@Dwev, this topic is 20 years old.  O:)

Shambles

Quote from: efk
@Dwev, this topic is 20 years old.  O:)

You need to work on your maths.

Arantor

Why is 'show quick moderation' available? Because non admins can make use of it. I have it turned on here, lets me mark a bunch of topics as read at once.

Steve

@ Dwev - this is the second old thread you've unnecessarily revived. Please refrain from doing that anymore. If you have questions, start a new topic. Thanks.

Locking.
DO NOT pm me for support!

Advertisement: