How do Admins deal with vacations?

Started by SethStudent, May 25, 2015, 08:15:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SethStudent

I have a somewhat new forum that's just starting to pick up speed. Right now I have no other Admins or Moderators; it just hasn't gotten to that point yet. I'm going on vacation and may not have consistent internet or much free time to keep an eye on things.

I realize large and established forums like SMF have plenty of people to handle the work load. How do other small forum Admins handle vacations? Do they just hope for the best that everything will be humming along smoothly when they return?

I don't suppose there's a "admin for hire" option, lol.

Looking

Check while you are away, get a family member to moderate or close registrations til you get back. Yes you can hire people to do this, but can you trust them - that's another question.

Jade Elizabeth

I usually ask a member of the community to watch and give them powers if no one else has powers. Usually this person is also the person on my contingency plan - if I die the forum will go to them so it's obviously someone I trust greatly!

If not I will simply post an announcement that I will have spotty net and to email/call/text emergency numbers if anything goes wrong and I'll check in every few days. This happens a lot in life. Internet goes down, sudden health issues, it's always good to have someone on standby. I'd look into a second admin or at least a mod if I were you :).
Once proud Documentation Writer and Help Squad Leader | Check out my new adult coloring career: Color With Jade/Patreon.

Bigguy

Just for safety sake, take a backup of the site and database before you leave. This way, if anything DOES happen you can go back to what it was before you left.

SethStudent

Quote from: Jade Elizabeth on May 25, 2015, 09:07:57 PM
I usually ask a member of the community to watch...

Do you mean someone in the SMF community? Really? Wow, it never occurred to me that someone would have the time or interest to take on more work. Kind of like hiring a house sitter, huh?

I'm definitely looking for someone within the forum to help out, so far no one has been involved enough.

SethStudent

Quote from: Looking on May 25, 2015, 08:17:38 PM
get a family member to moderate or close registrations til you get back.

Thanks, good idea, I wish that were an option for me.

SethStudent

Quote from: Bigguy on May 25, 2015, 09:49:29 PM
Just for safety sake, take a backup of the site and database before you leave. This way, if anything DOES happen you can go back to what it was before you left.

Ah yes, Bigguy, great idea, thanks!

Bigguy

Quote from: SethStudent on May 25, 2015, 09:54:35 PM
Quote from: Looking on May 25, 2015, 08:17:38 PM
get a family member to moderate or close registrations til you get back.

Thanks, good idea, I wish that were an option for me.

If that is not possible, you could give a select member of the site Global Mod permissions. You know, that one guy who has helped out just a bit more than the rest. I would not suggest Admin permissions but GM should be ok.

Jade Elizabeth

I mean either someone from your community or even here if you trust them :). I would pick someone you know pretty well.

I have two people to watch over one site, and one person to watch over the other. One of those is the same person too ha ha.

If your website doesn't require much in the day to day running, and you aren't too busy, I wouldn't worry too much. Just check in every few days. If you have less than 100 posts a day I wouldn't worry unless there's a problem user.
Once proud Documentation Writer and Help Squad Leader | Check out my new adult coloring career: Color With Jade/Patreon.

SethStudent

Quote from: Jade Elizabeth on May 25, 2015, 10:01:54 PM
If you have less than 100 posts a day I wouldn't worry unless there's a problem user.

Thanks. Definitely less than 100 posts a day for now, but I'm thinking of the future. I was just curious what my options would be if the "right person" doesn't come along.

SethStudent

Quote from: Bigguy on May 25, 2015, 09:58:59 PM
If that is not possible, you could give a select member of the site Global Mod permissions. You know, that one guy who has helped out just a bit more than the rest. I would not suggest Admin permissions but GM should be ok.

Thank you! I hadn't thought of that, I'm still learning a lot about SMF and what's available to me.

Advertisement: