Getting notifications of new members

Started by KurtS, May 25, 2015, 11:59:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

KurtS

We switched to 2.0.10. Most things are going smooth but the admins keep getting notified of new members.
>Before this member can begin posting they must first have their account approved.

Here's the settings.
Admin Approval is not required and no notifying admins. So why are we getting these??

Thanks!
Kurt S
CRG  - www.camaros.org

margarett

No idea. Odd, it was me who upgraded that forum :P
I'm getting "Error occurred: 403 - forbidden" trying to access your forum...
Se forem conduzir, não bebam. Se forem beber... CHAMEM-ME!!!! :D

QuoteOver 90% of all computer problems can be traced back to the interface between the keyboard and the chair

Illori

KurtS

403? Works fine for me and most others. We had one person with similar problem and he determined it to be a problem with his ISP.

I did try changing the settings and then changing them back. No effect.

Theme - default Curve.
Mods:
1.   MessagePreviewOnHover   1.8   
2.   Stop Forum Spam   1.0   
3.   Footer Menu   1.1.2   
4.   OS & Browser Detection   1.5   
5.   Today's Posts   1.1
6.   Simple .htaccess Proxy Blocker Mod   1.1   
7.   Add Facebook Like to Posts   1.1   
8.   Mobile Device Detect   0.2.2   
9.   Remove XHTML, RSS & WAP2 Links in Footer   v1.1
10.   Anti-spam by CleanTalk   1.21
11.   "Go to full version" link - moved to the top for wap, wap2 and imode templates   1.0
12.   Add Twitter Tweet Button to Posts   1.1   
13.   Simple .htaccess Bot Blocker Mod   1.1   
14.   Remove SMF Logo   1.4
15.   Ban List   2.0   
16.   @mention members   1.1.2   
17.   Display Signatures Only Once Per Page   1.0.3
18.   Redirect Banned Users   2.0   
19.   IP-Address Tracer   1.0   
20.   Custom Copyright   1.2
Kurt S
CRG  - www.camaros.org

margarett

Nop. Still 403 error. Works fine from my mobile so I assume my IP (on the computer) is blocked by .htaccess ;)

Can you attach your current Subs-Members.php?

QuoteOver 90% of all computer problems can be traced back to the interface between the keyboard and the chair

margarett

Gotcha!

You have Stop Forum Spam. That makes suspicious registration attempts to go into approval queue, irrespective of your "normal" settings. And that's why you get these notifications ;)

KurtS

I was just ready to attach that file. :)

Thank you for knowing that!

Hmm, so despite SFS being recommended, I don't think I want it.
Do you have a favorite bot mod? I have questions enabled and they help alot and I have a lot of problem domains blocked.
httpBL or Stop Spammer?

Thanks again!!
Kurt S
CRG  - www.camaros.org

Illori

Quote from: KurtS on May 26, 2015, 10:47:18 PM
I have a lot of problem domains blocked.

do you mean you are using the ban system to ban some email addresses domains? that will just bog down your forum and make it slower.

have you read http://wiki.simplemachines.org/smf/Spam_-_my_forum_is_flooded_with_spam,_what_can_I_do ? it suggests several mods that work well.

Kindred

do note....   if you are getting bunches of notifications from SFS then your QUESTIONS are poor...  I have SFS installed on several forums that I admin and I RARELY get notifications, because the spammers don't even make it that far.
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

KurtS

I banned IP addresses, mainly India and Philippines.
No, I had not seen that FAQ. I had read a similar forum post. I've done everything as described, but I don't want the notification of SFS.

My questions are good. They've kept the noise out very well before and currently. Well enough that I don't want to see the notifications. But I still want a bot protector too. Belt and suspenders approach. :)

Another question, same topic - In Download Packages, I see Simple Machines Third-party Mod Site. But when I go there, I don't see the Spam Prevention category.

Thanks!

Thanks!
Kurt S
CRG  - www.camaros.org

Steve

DO NOT pm me for support!

KurtS

Yes, I can navigate to the category with a browser.
But I can't navigate to that category from within SMF, Package Manager, Download Packages, Package Servers. There many categories - New Feature, Feature Enhancement, etc. But not Spam Prevention. And that's by far the easiest way to load mods that I've found.
Kurt S
CRG  - www.camaros.org

Kindred

nope... the easiest way is to search here (or on other sites), download the mod to your local computer and then use the mod download/upload menu to add it from your local computer.

Honestly, the package servers should be removed, IMO.
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

Burke ♞ Knight

Quote from: Kindred on May 27, 2015, 02:18:27 PM

If not mistaken, they have for 2.1, so I agree with you, they should be removed from 2.0.x Maybe in next update, if there is one?

Illori

Quote from: Burke ♞ Knight on May 27, 2015, 02:23:51 PM
Quote from: Kindred on May 27, 2015, 02:18:27 PM

If not mistaken, they have for 2.1, so I agree with you, they should be removed from 2.0.x Maybe in next update, if there is one?

they have not been removed in 2.1. they dont remove features in patches either.

KurtS

Bruno,
I disabled the SFS mod, but I'm still getting the emails.
I was about to mark the topic as solved, but it isn't.

Do you want me to attach Subs-Members.php to this thread?
Kurt S
CRG  - www.camaros.org

margarett

KurtS

Kurt S
CRG  - www.camaros.org

margarett

KurtS

Kurt S
CRG  - www.camaros.org

Advertisement: