News:

Wondering if this will always be free?  See why free is better.

Main Menu

Database backup for specific user

Started by 19eighties, May 26, 2015, 05:41:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

19eighties

Is there a way I can create a personalized backup of the database for a specific user for their own possession? Thanks.

Illori

not really due to the way the database is structured.

Kindred

I will go one step further and say, no, you can not.
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

Jade Elizabeth

Why do you need one? Is there something specific you're trying to do or prevent from happening? What exactly are they wanting to back up?

If it's PMs they want, there's a mod that can do it to XML, the HTML one might not work (just search the word "export" if you want a look) :)
http://custom.simplemachines.org/mods/index.php?mod=845

More information might help me help you better :).
Once proud Documentation Writer and Help Squad Leader | Check out my new adult coloring career: Color With Jade/Patreon.

19eighties

The user is concerned his numerous posts will get lost through corruption of the database, but I don't want to distribute the entire database for security/privacy reasons. I guess this scenario could apply to people wanting to backup their contributions in case a forum goes away for whatever reason.

Kindred

Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

Jade Elizabeth

You could run a query to grab their posts only, and export it through excel, but that is about as good as it will get. The database is VERY unlikely to be corrupted. I've never heard of that happening to SMF.

There's some HUGE boards using SMF. The largest known SMF community has 77,450,654 Posts in 1,764,108 Threads by 143,292 Members as I post this! They are also heavily modified and have been around for at least 8 years. I think if anyone would have become corrupt by now it would be them :).

My forums are similar - heavily modified and around for the same time, but very small and I have never encountered a problem. In fact, if you screw something up the database is still there you just have to overwrite the files with clean ones. If that ever happens to you let me know and I'll come help :).

Did something happen to your database previously that's got this guy worried? :)
Once proud Documentation Writer and Help Squad Leader | Check out my new adult coloring career: Color With Jade/Patreon.

Illori

it is possible to get a corrupt database, if something happens to the database server or the hard drive that the database server is on. that is why database backups are recommended. as long as regular database backups are done there is very little chance that the database can not be restored if something happens.

Advertisement: