News:

Bored?  Looking to kill some time?  Want to chat with other SMF users?  Join us in IRC chat or Discord

Main Menu

Dumbest of the Dumb

Started by CDLehner, May 27, 2015, 08:11:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

CDLehner

Sorry; I really did look around for the solution.

I just installed SMF at my domain. Why does the forum post at /index.php...rather than my domain root?  :-[

CD

Burke ♞ Knight

index.php is the FILE.
It's still the root of the domain.

yourdomain.com/NAME/index.php would not be, that would be a directory.

margarett

Hi and welcome to sm.org ;)

I'm not sure if I understand your question. If your domain is www.domain.com, then your forum will be at www.forum.com/index.php

If your intention is to remove index.php from the URL, we don't advise you to do it (many problems might occur, especially with mods. Not just that, it provides zero benefit.

So, what exactly do you want to do ?
Se forem conduzir, não bebam. Se forem beber... CHAMEM-ME!!!! :D

QuoteOver 90% of all computer problems can be traced back to the interface between the keyboard and the chair

CDLehner

Sorry: I want it, so that when people go to www.mydomain.com; they get the forum.

Mstcool

Then your forum should be uploaded to your root folder (e.g it should be uploaded to public_html, NOT public_html/folder) :P

Burke ♞ Knight

They do.
It's just when different pages are accessed, it changes to using the file name.
All sites do that, even if they have a way to hide it.

It's very much normal, and you can give out the URL to your forum, without including the index.php unless sending out url to a certain part of the forum, like a post.

Quote from: Mstcool on May 27, 2015, 08:25:52 PM
Then your forum should be uploaded to your root folder (e.g it should be uploaded to public_html, NOT public_html/folder) :P

The OP stated it is in the root.
Not talking about a directory, but a filename, namely the index.php

CDLehner

Looks to me, like it is?

Can't post image yet.

Burke ♞ Knight

How about posting the URL for us?

CDLehner

Quote from: Burke ♞ Knight on May 27, 2015, 08:27:43 PM
They do.
It's just when different pages are accessed, it changes to using the file name.
All sites do that, even if they have a way to hide it.

It's very much normal, and you can give out the URL to your forum, without including the index.php unless sending out url to a certain part of the forum, like a post.

The OP stated it is in the root.
Not talking about a directory, but a filename, namely the index.php

When I go to .mydomain.com...I get the "something cool is coming" welcome page. Only when I go to /index.php, do I get my forum.

CDLehner

How many posts do I need, to post an image?

CDLehner

Nevermind; I think it was just caching, from my browser.  :-[

Burke ♞ Knight

What webhost are you using?
Please post a link to your site.

Also, to get rid of the welcome page, you may want to look and see if there is a file named index.htm or index.html or home.htm or home.html in the root.
Many webhosts place a welcome page, and that will be called before index.php would if just type domain, and not a file.

CDLehner

Quote from: Burke ♞ Knight on May 27, 2015, 08:39:18 PM
What webhost are you using?
Please post a link to your site.

Also, to get rid of the welcome page, you may want to look and see if there is a file named index.htm or index.html or home.htm or home.html in the root.
Many webhosts place a welcome page, and that will be called before index.php would if just type domain, and not a file.

esac.club

Burke ♞ Knight

Looks fine to me...
http://www.esac.club
takes me right to the forum.
I bet it was browser cache that was making it use the old page for you.

Colin

Sometimes this can happen if there is an old index.html lying around in the directory root which has index priority over index.php.
"If everybody is thinking alike, then somebody is not thinking." - Gen. George S. Patton Jr.

Colin

Advertisement: