Attached images to posts are not showing in Firefox

Started by movrshakr, May 29, 2015, 09:57:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

movrshakr

This is amazing and a real problem.  I was recently designated to moderate a forum that runs on SMF 1.1.20, and "suddenly" realize I am no longer able, using latest Firefox, to see pics that people attach to their posts.  I used to be able to and am not sure if the change occurred when I was  given moderator privs or not.

I have restarted Firefox safe mode--still no pics. 
I am totally at a loss as to how to even troubleshoot this issue, but it is a critical one to me.

The pics DO appear if I open the thread in IE!

Here is an example thread at that forum that has pics (which I don't see)...
forum(dot)earthbox(dot)com/index.php?topic=11497.0;topicseen

Here is some more observations...

a.  When I try to create a new topic, adding an attachment is not offered to me in "Additional options" (before this problem, it was).

b.  If I try to "Modify" someone's post that has a picture in it, I can pop open the "Additional options" for that other person's post and do see the filename of the image they have attached...

BUT

c. If I do a view "page source" for that page (just viewing the page, not modifying)  THAT IMAGE NAME APPEARS NOWHERE IN THE SOURCE TEXT!  In other words, it is not in any url in the page source nor referenced in the page source at all. so of course my browser will not display it--it is not even being "offered down" to me in the page's html) to be displayed..

Any ideas?

Kindred

Actually, it sounds to me as if you have some sort of Firefox extension which is blocking things
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

movrshakr

Quote from: Kindred on May 29, 2015, 10:00:05 PM
Actually, it sounds to me as if you have some sort of Firefox extension which is blocking things

Ah I meant to say in the OP...I checked it starting Firefox in it's safe mode (not Windows safe mode) which loads Firefox with no extensions active.  Still cannot see attached images.

(I have not perfect eyesight and am having a terrible time getting the captchas right)
(and I request another image and it comes right back to the same one
(now up to about 10th try)

movrshakr

No advance on the issue.
I think the people who host that forum must contract out their tech  support,
so I don't think anything will happen over the weekend.  Ugh.

Would it help for me to post the page source for a page that SHOULD be displaying pictures?

movrshakr

Hey, I have an idea for a bit of troubleshooting test!

Could somebody please post a link to a page on an SMF forum somewhere that definitely has pictures as an attaachment to posts.

That way I can tell if it is a problem in configuration on 'my' forum or, if I don't see the pics on a completely different SMF site, then that would point to the problem being on MY end.

Thanks.

Kindred

well *I* see the images at that url just fine...  I see a whole bunch of image/attachments using firefox...
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

movrshakr

NOW SOLVED!

I deleted all cookies for that site, and the image pics of attachments returned.

First time I ever had the universally offered technique of "delete all cookies"
(only I just deleted those of the one site)
actually to work.

movrshakr

Well, I spoke much too fast. 
It was solved when I deleted the cookies (true)--
it also means I was logged out.

So now I see the pattern...
I cannot see the pictures when logged in (with the moderator account)
and can see them when logged out.

That ^^ is also true when using IE instead of Firefox.

Also ran a test...created another account/user, and when logged in under that name (not a moderator), I can see the atchs fine.  When logged in under the name that is a moderator, I cannot see them.

Is this ^^ a clue to anything?

Illori

check the permissions for that group. maybe they can not view attachments.

movrshakr

Quote from: Illori on May 31, 2015, 02:09:11 PM
check the permissions for that group. maybe they can not view attachments.

OK, I have passed that to my contact at the company who talks to their tech support people.
Will see.
It sure sounds like a real possibility though.

movrshakr

OK it's fixed.
Message I got:
"Update: I edited your permissions regarding viewing images and links, crossing my fingers in hopes that did the trick."

and now I can see the pics.

I don't know if he changed permissions for me as an individual or for the global moderator group--but I can see atchs now.

Problem over.

Advertisement: