Publish smf site [HELP]

Started by janath1, May 31, 2015, 12:42:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

janath1

I got script file and did some changes to the template(add banner space) and I've tested it on my local server(wamp) I have a domain name and hosting package. How can I install it on my hosting package? If I want to install fresh copy on my hosting package and customize it or can I upload my tested copy on hosting package?

Sir Osis of Liver

http://wiki.simplemachines.org/smf/Installing

You can install the customized files on your host account.
Ashes and diamonds, foe and friend,
 we were all equal in the end.

- R. Waters

janath1

Thanks. But how can I change server settings, database setting etc?

Kindred

Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

janath1

Thanks all.

Can I download fresh copy of smf, add domain name, enable maintenance mode and do all customization there?Is that ok?

margarett

Se forem conduzir, não bebam. Se forem beber... CHAMEM-ME!!!! :D

QuoteOver 90% of all computer problems can be traced back to the interface between the keyboard and the chair

janath1

Quote from: margarett on June 01, 2015, 10:35:47 AM
Yes, of course ;)
Is that ok with doing customazitaion with live site? Because I've already publish domain to the site ?

margarett

Well... Yes and no :P

You can do it, with or without maintenance mode. SMF will continue to operate as long as you don't break anything.
And no, you shouldn't do it because, if you break something (eg, you install a MOD that causes problems), SMF will break with or without maintenance mode.

You should have a second (test) forum. Everything you want to install in your "main" forum, you try first in the "test". If it works as expected, then you can go ahead and install it in your main forum.

QuoteOver 90% of all computer problems can be traced back to the interface between the keyboard and the chair

janath1

Quote from: margarett on June 01, 2015, 11:21:35 AM
Well... Yes and no :P

You can do it, with or without maintenance mode. SMF will continue to operate as long as you don't break anything.
And no, you shouldn't do it because, if you break something (eg, you install a MOD that causes problems), SMF will break with or without maintenance mode.

You should have a second (test) forum. Everything you want to install in your "main" forum, you try first in the "test". If it works as expected, then you can go ahead and install it in your main forum.
Got it! Is that customization affect to seo of my web site? Will google hide my site on search list? I heard that kind of things before

margarett

No. Just have your "test" forum in maintenance mode.

janath1

Quote from: margarett on June 01, 2015, 11:40:21 AM
No. Just have your "test" forum in maintenance mode.
Thanks a lot. It was a great help.

margarett

Glad to help :)

I'll mark this topic as solved now, feel free to undo it if you require further help ;)

Topman

QuoteYou should have a second (test) forum. Everything you want to install in your "main" forum, you try first in the "test". If it works as expected, then you can go ahead and install it in your main forum.

This is good advice!  I would probably been in more s*it if I hadnt had a test forum.

Advertisement: