Pending approval email notification - wrong encoding?

Started by FishingManMatt, June 02, 2015, 06:47:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

FishingManMatt

Hello,

As a site admin I receive email notifications about some topics pending approval.

The problem is that both email subject and its body have some encoding problems and I see some strange signs in place of diacritics of my native language.

I found the translation in "scheduled_approval" array in the EmailTemplates.polish-utf8.php - it is encoded in UTF-8 w/o BOM.
All other email notifications generated by this template are displayed correctly.

Chas Large

Have you checked the versions of the files in Admin? It could be an update to the system has been made but the language files also need updating.
My Modifications :)  My Forum

Please DO NOT PM me with support requests. Post the problem in the appropriate Support Board so everyone can benefit from the advice given.

margarett

It might also be a problem in the language file itself (can you please check a fresh language download) or maybe you used a mod for editing the email templates?
Se forem conduzir, não bebam. Se forem beber... CHAMEM-ME!!!! :D

QuoteOver 90% of all computer problems can be traced back to the interface between the keyboard and the chair

FishingManMatt

Indeed, I edited a few language files using the built-in language editor.
I noticed the same thing concerns the Birthday message template. In MS Outlook I see strange characters in place of diacritic marks and in the Gmail web interface I see even stranger characters in the message title.

Illori

can you download EmailTemplates.<language>.php from your Themes/default/languages folder and attach it to your next post?

margarett

There is no built-in language editor (or there is?) so you should be using a mod for that...
Se forem conduzir, não bebam. Se forem beber... CHAMEM-ME!!!! :D

QuoteOver 90% of all computer problems can be traced back to the interface between the keyboard and the chair

Antes

Quote from: margarett on July 04, 2015, 07:57:58 AM
There is no built-in language editor (or there is?) so you should be using a mod for that...

There is but its sekrit :( hidden and not so lovely.

Illori

Quote from: margarett on July 04, 2015, 07:57:58 AM

http://wiki.simplemachines.org/smf/SMF2.0:Languages#Edit_Language_Entries

[edit] you can not use the built in editor in 2.0 to edit the email strings.

FishingManMatt

Quote from: Illori on July 04, 2015, 08:45:48 AM
[edit] you can not use the built in editor in 2.0 to edit the email strings.
Sure enough. So, seems I've never edited any email template language file. Probably I edited some other files and the email strings come from the official language pack.

I attached this lang file (it is in UTF-8 w/o BOM).

Affected messages: 'scheduled_approval' and 'happy_birthday'.

Advertisement: