DB Backup

Started by Xarcell, October 19, 2005, 02:13:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Xarcell

I tried running a search, but it kept timing out on me. I hope I'm asking this in the right place.

Anyways, I wanna save the posts, user's, catagories, childboards, etc and put them in a different database.

I'm a ultra noob, but I did a DB backup. How do I intsall the backup in a different database? Heck, I don't even know how to install it in the same DB. I have to access my phpadmin right? Where do I go from there?

-Xarcell

Oldiesmann

Backup all the tables from the current database (from phpMyAdmin, select the database then click the "Export" tab), then import them in the new database (click on the "SQL" tab).
Michael Eshom
Christian Metal Fans

Xarcell

I don't think I can do it that way. I use dreamhost, and they have an installation of phpmyadmin, per DB. Or one db, per phpmyadmin. So for example, if I had 7 Databases, I'd have 7 phpmyadmin interfaces. I don't understand why they do it that way. Each with it's own server...

Oldiesmann

One installation per database? That's a stupid way of doing things...

Anyway, login to the first database and get a database dump of all those tables. Save this to your hard drive.
Then, login to the second database, click on the "SQL" tab, point it to the database dump you just saved and click on "Go".
Michael Eshom
Christian Metal Fans

Xarcell

Although I wanna port everything, does it matter if it's 2 different versions of smf?

Gargoyle

The simple answer... Yes it does matter...

They should really be the same if you are expecting the database to work on both forums.

Xarcell

I rebuilt the website with 1.1beta3 with new db & different url, old site running on 1.0.3.

I'm trying to just install tables manually (the ones I really need) and so far so good. Just the members, posts, catagories, and polls.

However, I run into a problem. When i click on a board, I get this "Unknown column 'b.topblock' in 'field list'" and I know that comes from the board notes mod I installed before hand.

-Xarcell

Xarcell

I added the fields in manully, adn I hope I'm doing it right. I can get alittel further, but now I got " Unknown column 'mem.buddy_list' in 'field list'" and I dunno which table that goes in.

I figured out that one too. However, even though I have teh post count, boards, catagories, the actual topic's/post themselves are not showing. It's blank, no errors, nothing.  I exported the smf_topics table, what else am I missing?

Oldiesmann

You will either have to upgrade both boards to 1.1RC1 or install 1.0.3 on the other database before you try to transfer everything or it won't work properly.
Michael Eshom
Christian Metal Fans

Advertisement: