News:

Want to get involved in developing SMF, then why not lend a hand on our github!

Main Menu

Last Post column showing thread title instead of post title

Started by Mahrgell, June 05, 2015, 05:56:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mahrgell

Hi,
a very simple question: I want to change the behavior of the "Last Post" column of the frontpage of the forum so that it shows the thread title of the last updated thread, and not the post title.
Right now I have the very disturbing behavior, that some users love to use very creative post titles with every post, always suggesting, that a new thread has popped up there. Then you click it, and again land in some old thread.
I didn't find any option to change this, but can't imagine, nobody had the same issue before.

margarett

What is your SMF version? I imagine it should be doable but I need to look at the code.

edit: welcome ;)
Se forem conduzir, não bebam. Se forem beber... CHAMEM-ME!!!! :D

QuoteOver 90% of all computer problems can be traced back to the interface between the keyboard and the chair

Mahrgell

If there is really no solution, I would consider upgrading to 1.1.21.
And as a last resort measure I would consider disabling post titles, but for that I also have not found an option.

PS: am I the only one failing each captcha at least 2 times?

margarett

You should upgrade to 1.1.21 yes, because you are running an outdated version. That won't change anything regarding your forum behavior ;)
http://wiki.simplemachines.org/smf/Patching

Better yet, you should consider the upgrade to 2.0.10 because 1.1.x is becoming EOL shortly.
http://wiki.simplemachines.org/smf/Upgrading

Quote from: Mahrgell on June 05, 2015, 07:03:48 AM
PS: am I the only one failing each captcha at least 2 times?
You aren't, no :( It goes away after few posts, though.

edit: I just gave a quick load at the code. It should be possible, yes, but it will probably cause a significant performance impact. It is necessary to join a new table and fetch the message data from that joined table... All of this in query that is not lightweight on its own :(

I would advise you not to try this.

QuoteOver 90% of all computer problems can be traced back to the interface between the keyboard and the chair

Mahrgell

So would it instead be possible to remove the option to title posts (or force them to be equal to the thread title)?

And I guess the Upgrade to 1.1.21 should run without any issues concerning plugin compatability, old forum data etc.

Kindred

well, if you use the patches, then yes...

However, you SHOULD upgrade all the way to 2.0.10 (which WILL remove all mods and require you to reinstall them AND get a new theme) -- because 1.1.x is at end of life. There will be no further releases in this series (including security releases) and support will be discontinued completely when 2.1 is released.

Nearly anything is possible, if you can code it...  In this case, I don't think anyone has written a mod to do that -- although 2.1 does remove the individual post titles and only has a thread title.
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

Illori

Quote from: Kindred on June 05, 2015, 10:20:11 AM
although 2.1 does remove the individual post titles and only has a thread title.

actually it still has both, you need to enable the feature in the admin panel to see the titles for each reply.

margarett

Advertisement: