Installing with git?

Started by ericbelldesigns, June 07, 2015, 11:54:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ericbelldesigns

Hi guys,

I am a graphic and web designer, and was a C# Developer. I have a client wishing to install your forum software on their domain. I make my changes through git, and my changes are published on their domain. I am hoping to install this on hxxp:theirdomain.com [nonactive] /forum. Before I get started, does any body see any issues with what I am attempting, or any suggestions that will help me with the install? I believe I could get FTP access if I absolutely have to, so should I just ask my client for that instead of working through git? Any advice is greatly appreciated! I'm sure I will be back with more questions.

margarett

It depends on what you are doing but I believe that it should be fine for the most part. Just be careful if you perform database changes or that modify paths. It it's just code you're changing, it should not be a problem ;)
Se forem conduzir, não bebam. Se forem beber... CHAMEM-ME!!!! :D

QuoteOver 90% of all computer problems can be traced back to the interface between the keyboard and the chair

ericbelldesigns

Thank you for your reply! I have installed the forum successfully, but am having a minor issue due to a stupid mistake on my part. I did not allow the automatic removal of install.php, and I do not see it in my directory. I get this:

MAJOR SECURITY RISK:
You have not removed install.php!

I'm not sure how I can do this since I do not see it in my directory.

JBlaze

This is where having an FTP client comes in handy. Or use PuTTy if you know how to use the command line.
Jason Clemons
Former Team Member 2009 - 2012

ericbelldesigns

I am asking my client to delete the file from their end. Once the file is removed, I should be ok, correct?

margarett

QuoteOver 90% of all computer problems can be traced back to the interface between the keyboard and the chair

ericbelldesigns

The client instructed me to use terminal to delete the file. Problem is, I can't find the install.php file. I pulled down the entire directory from git to make sure the files were the latest, and I do not find an install.php. I still get the security risk message on the forum.

margarett

I'm not trying to be funny but unless you are using some kind of cache, the warning is there if the file is there. So are you sure you are looking in the right place?

Illori

if you go to the forum url/install.php does the install pop up? if so the file is still there.

ericbelldesigns

It does still show up, but I can not find it in my git directory. I guess this is more related to my lack of git knowledge than being forum related :/

ericbelldesigns

These are the files in the /forum directory:

Packages         attachments         install_2-0_sqlite.sql
SSI.php            avatars            license.txt
Settings.php         cache            news_readme.html
Settings_bak.php      changelog.txt         readme_install.html
Smileys            favicon.ico         ssi_examples.php
Sources            index.php         ssi_examples.shtml
Themes            install_2-0_mysql.sql      subscriptions.php
agreement.txt         install_2-0_postgresql.sql

I do not have an install.php, but yet it still shows up on the server even after clearing the cache.

Dragooon

Are you sure it's not being ignored by git?

ericbelldesigns

I am 100% NOT sure if git is ignoring it. I will look into that now. Thank you for your suggestion.

Advertisement: